Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE!!!! Joining the family, 981S

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE!!!! Joining the family, 981S

Update to my original post asking for advice: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...t-porsche.html

I couldn't be more proud to introduce my first Porsche, a 981S. I almost got a new base 718, but when this one came onto the market I knew it was the right one. I waited to post this until I've driven it around (1500 miles now) and I am just absolutely smitten. I look for any excuse to go on a drive.

Some Highlights:
6 Speed MT
19" Cayman S III "Sport classics" (I wasn't the biggest fan initially, but I love them now. They make this Boxster look so unique. The photos don't do them justice, let me know what you think!)
[Had to edit this from my original post. You are all absolutely correct that they aren't 20". Currently yelling at the porsche dealership for being misleading]
Sport Chrono Pckg
18 way sport seats plus with ventilation
SportDesign steering wheel
Instrument dials and seat belts in Guards Red (what a nice touch. If the original owner is reading this, you have great taste).

Thank you all again for your advice and insight. Looking forward to posting more here on Rennlist!
Attached Images           

Last edited by whatupdoc; 08-17-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Nice car, and enjoy.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Sweet Boxster, wheels are cool, and I give the red dials a
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Car is beautiful. Love the gauges and the alcantara wheel.

However, just so you know, those are 19" Cayman S wheels, not the 20" Sport Classics. Still wonderful looking though.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful ride, love the red dials
Enjoy!!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Originally Posted by jsykes
Car is beautiful. Love the gauges and the alcantara wheel.

However, just so you know, those are 19" Cayman S wheels, not the 20" Sport Classics. Still wonderful looking though.
Thanks for the messages so far everyone!

jsykes, I was actually wondering how I can confirm what my wheels are, because if you're correct I'm going to have a bone to pick with my Porsche dealership.

This is what I found for the sport classic from another local dealership, and they look pretty similar to mine.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...G2TCWSBLK.html

I also just measured the rims (the gray trim is definitely part of the wheel itself) and it is 20" however... Going to look up what the cayman S wheels look like now. I hope I didn't get duped! All of the paperwork says "sport classic" on them but they could have obviously changed it themselves. I didn't get a copy of the original sticker.

Anyone know how I can verify the wheels? I don't see any sort of ID on them, thanks!

I'm just curious, it won't make me enjoy them less if it's the Cayman S but it'll change the overall value of the wheels if I do decide to sell them/trade them.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and that is one mighty fine looking Boxster you have there.

Eddie
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by whatupdoc
I also just measured the rims (the gray trim is definitely part of the wheel itself) and it is 20" however... Going to look up what the cayman S wheels look like now. I hope I didn't get duped! .
Your tires are labeled with the ZR19 suffix, which means Z-rated, 19 inch.

Don't change a thing. 19" is what you want.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to find exactly what options were originally with the car for your wheels, delete the vin at the end and plug your vin # in.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...CB2A98ES155357

It should give you the build info.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Rockin' it! Congratulations. Super nice ride.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:41 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, great looking ride! The wheels are reminiscent of Fuchs.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Great looking car. Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

congratulation, the car looks great
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by whatupdoc
Thanks for the messages so far everyone!

jsykes, I was actually wondering how I can confirm what my wheels are, because if you're correct I'm going to have a bone to pick with my Porsche dealership.

This is what I found for the sport classic from another local dealership, and they look pretty similar to mine.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...G2TCWSBLK.html

I also just measured the rims (the gray trim is definitely part of the wheel itself) and it is 20" however... Going to look up what the cayman S wheels look like now. I hope I didn't get duped! All of the paperwork says "sport classic" on them but they could have obviously changed it themselves. I didn't get a copy of the original sticker.

Anyone know how I can verify the wheels? I don't see any sort of ID on them, thanks!

I'm just curious, it won't make me enjoy them less if it's the Cayman S but it'll change the overall value of the wheels if I do decide to sell them/trade them.
Your wheel/tire combo is definitely 19". First, Pirelli does not make 19" tires to fit 20" wheels. Second, the diameter measurement is at the tires bead which tucks into the wheels rim. Just to confirm this, I measured my 20" wheels as you demonstrated and found that they measured 21". A 19" tire/wheel combo (not yours) came as standard on the 981 Boxter/Cayman S.

That aside, I really like the wheels!

OBTW, I don't believe you could get the Sport Steering Wheel in Alcantara as a stand alone option. If it was an option, it was generally paired with an Alcantara shift boot as well. I'm beginning to think that the previous owner(s) may have added some post delivery options.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:04 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Whatupdoc,

first off, the wheels look great, so if you like them dont get too caught up on what they are. That link you put to suncoast does call them the sport classic, but it is for the 911, so not sure if its a different name for them.

As one said, you definitely have 19" wheels as you can see the tire marked that in one of your photos.

Here is a link to the 19" Cayman S wheel for 981 cars. https://www.genuinenewparts.com/oem-...CABEgICf_D_BwE

Here is also a winter wheel package that shows the same wheel in silver, 19" and calls it the Cayman S Design wheel. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981WWS19.html

Yours looks to be the same, only in black. But maybe them being painted Porsche used a different name, I'm not sure.

But again, dont get caught up on it if you like the wheels. I was only mentioning it just so you knew what you had so if you speak about it at times, you'll know. Also, so you didnt think you had 20s and go ordering those.

Enjoy it, its great looking.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!!! Joining the family, 981S