Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE!!!! Joining the family, 981S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another observation is you have the GTS tinted tail lights as well. A nice upgrade imo, whether done by the previous owner or from the factory.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:09 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBH
Your wheel/tire combo is definitely 19". First, Pirelli does not make 19" tires to fit 20" wheels. Second, the diameter measurement is at the tires bead which tucks into the wheels rim. Just to confirm this, I measured my 20" wheels as you demonstrated and found that they measured 21". A 19" tire/wheel combo (not yours) came as standard on the 981 Boxter/Cayman S.

That aside, I really like the wheels!

OBTW, I don't believe you could get the Sport Steering Wheel in Alcantara as a stand alone option. If it was an option, it was generally paired with an Alcantara shift boot as well. I'm beginning to think that the previous owner(s) may have added some post delivery options.

You're all SPOT on about the wheels. I'm very impressed with how astute you all are.

I mean jsykes how the heck could you tell they were 19 vs. 20 just from a zoomed in picture??? Also when I compared these to the ACTUAL sport classics there's several nuances/differences in the spokes and the tire mount portion of the wheel (these are not as recessed as the Fuch's)

I also looked up how to properly measure the wheel and yes, like you said DBH, the proper way is to measure from the inside lip to inside lip. Not the other lip where the tire is mounted so these are totally 19". Furthermore like Noah Fect stated they are ZR 19 Pirelli's so why would they be on a 20" wheel.

I feel slightly pissed off that the dealership, Porsche Ft Myers, has 20" sport classics written all over the place and were touting that about the car, while I was thinking about getting it. The dealer said verbatim "these are some of the most expensive wheels you can have." He was telling me how I will be able to sell them easily for 7-8k on ebay HA

Whelp, it looks like they are the 19" Cayman S III wheels with the "sport classic like" finish.

I guess the dealership saw a completely novice Porsche buyer and took advantage of that.

I also had to get it serviced the VERY NEXT DAY, because the sport plus button wasn't working. I had only tried the sport mode during the test drive. Thank goodness it is CPO
Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Originally Posted by jsykes
Whatupdoc,

first off, the wheels look great, so if you like them dont get too caught up on what they are. That link you put to suncoast does call them the sport classic, but it is for the 911, so not sure if its a different name for them.

As one said, you definitely have 19" wheels as you can see the tire marked that in one of your photos.

Here is a link to the 19" Cayman S wheel for 981 cars. https://www.genuinenewparts.com/oem-...CABEgICf_D_BwE

Here is also a winter wheel package that shows the same wheel in silver, 19" and calls it the Cayman S Design wheel. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981WWS19.html

Yours looks to be the same, only in black. But maybe them being painted Porsche used a different name, I'm not sure.

But again, dont get caught up on it if you like the wheels. I was only mentioning it just so you knew what you had so if you speak about it at times, you'll know. Also, so you didnt think you had 20s and go ordering those.

Enjoy it, its great looking.
Thanks jsykes for spotting it out, you really know your stuff! I was just none the wiser to it and couldn't tell a 19 inch vs. a 20 inch even with a ruler ha. It's good to be well informed. I think I am just a little annoyed because I'm sure the dealership knew what kind of wheels they ACTUALLY were and instead were telling me they are sport classics and trying to increase the value of the car during negotiations.

I got an ok deal out of it so I don't think it actually mattered what the wheels were. KBB fair value for CPO from dealership is 50k-56k and I got it for flat 53 (before taxes, registration dealer fees, third party protection etc.)

In retrospect I should have brought one of you guys to look at the car with me ha.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

YES you're right, again. What are you some kind of guru? I really like them tinted, it suits the black wheels, makes the car look meaner.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:44 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations, whatupdoc. It looks sharp. Good choice to go with 981 over 982, as you seem to be a NA fan. 982 is a good car indeed; should handle better than 981. Don't be tempted to swing for 20" rims. As Noah Fect mentioned, 19" is a better choice. 20" tires get damaged super easy. I don't remember which size handles better. There must be a tipping point of superior handling due to lower profile (stiffer, less flex) and the optimal size, chassis/suspension setup.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by jsykes
Another observation is you have the GTS tinted tail lights as well. A nice upgrade imo, whether done by the previous owner or from the factory.
Yep, and clear side markers as well. Lots of thoughtful touches.

Whoever sold this car with 1500 miles on it probably really didn't want to.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 AM
jsykes
Advanced

While I'm flattered that you think I'm such a guru that I could simply tell the size by looking, I just knew that particular wheel is only available in 19" and as another clue, your closeup of the wheel/tire, you can read the tire size on it. ;-)

That said, I think you got a good deal on the car, so as I said, wouldnt worry about it too much unless you bought the car specifically to resell the wheels on eBay. The car is great. Drive it and enjoy it.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 AM
tkbr0wn
Advanced

Regarding the steering wheel. You can get just the Alcantara wheel as an option. I had it on my 2014, 981S with a leather shift boot as well. It was option XLK.

Originally Posted by DBH
Your wheel/tire combo is definitely 19". First, Pirelli does not make 19" tires to fit 20" wheels. Second, the diameter measurement is at the tires bead which tucks into the wheels rim. Just to confirm this, I measured my 20" wheels as you demonstrated and found that they measured 21". A 19" tire/wheel combo (not yours) came as standard on the 981 Boxter/Cayman S.

That aside, I really like the wheels!

OBTW, I don't believe you could get the Sport Steering Wheel in Alcantara as a stand alone option. If it was an option, it was generally paired with an Alcantara shift boot as well. I'm beginning to think that the previous owner(s) may have added some post delivery options.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Great info from all you guys helping Doc with his first Porsche.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:02 AM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by Slim987; 01-26-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:21 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

congrats! seems like a lot of ppl don't opt for PASM on 981s, am I missing something? Is it not preferred?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:05 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

great looking ride. congrats...I think it's great the way it is, but if I ever sell the factory Carrera S 20" rims on my 981GTS I'll let you know!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sroc5
congrats! seems like a lot of ppl don't opt for PASM on 981s, am I missing something? Is it not preferred?
My car is a 987.2 Cayman Base with PASM and I love it. It has a very comfortable ride until I hit the PASM sport button and then it really locks down! I wouldn't like it if it was in sport mode all the time.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by whatupdoc
congrats again, I too dealt with Porsche Fort Myers, and it wasn't a good experience.

question though, how many miles does your Boxster have? Just curious, as I'm looking at options myself.

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!!! Joining the family, 981S