Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Steering angle sensor question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 PM
reallyfree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Steering angle sensor question?

Changed a faulty steering angle sensor today after diagnosis by a dealer.

Upon turning on ignition the original PSM/PASM fault immediately came back up on dash which I kind of expected thinking it would need a diagnostic reset or recalibration. However after driving a few 100 yards there is now no sign of the fault.

Question... is this normal and does the sensor still need recalibration? How can I tell if the PSM is functioning correctly?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 AM
reallyfree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by reallyfree
Changed a faulty steering angle sensor today after diagnosis by a dealer.

Upon turning on ignition the original PSM/PASM fault immediately came back up on dash which I kind of expected thinking it would need a diagnostic reset or recalibration. However after driving a few 100 yards there is now no sign of the fault.

Question... is this normal and does the sensor still need recalibration? How can I tell if the PSM is functioning correctly?
The last time I had the PSM error, which was last weekend, It took several miles of driving to clear it. I thought it would be a few hundred yards, was surprised at how long it took. But it cleared.

From what I understand, any time power is cut/battery is removed, this is going to happen.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Supposedly it's needs to be recalibrated when an alignment is done so I wound think replacing it would also require it.

Being out of calibration may not trigger a warning light but the sensor is one of the inputs to the stability control system.

If it thinks the wheel is at a different angle then actual it could create some weird behavior

Quick Reply: 987 Steering angle sensor question?