Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWB Vs 18 way

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LWB Vs 18 way

I currently own a 981 BGTS with 18 way seats and I've been lusting for a 981 Spyder for the past 1,5 years.

I'm 6.2 and my current 18 way seats give me plenty of legroom, does anyone know if the LWB seats give you the same amount of legroom?

ive sat in a Spyder with the manual 4 way seats and it felt more snug than my current 18way.

Im about to buy a 981 Spyder with LWB's and just a little bit cautious if it has enough room for me.

The car im looking at is everything I want, any tips from current owners on what to look for?
its certified so I'm not to worried about that part.

Greatly appreciate your help and I hope to buy the car tomorrow
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and there's plenty of room for me. I have about another 4 clicks on the seat fore-aft adjustment before I max out so unless you have super long legs, you should be fine IMO.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

You will be fine I'm 6'3 and have no issues. If you actually use proper drive seating the knees need to have some bend to allow full depression of the brakes if needed. With that said I do believe buckets do have the same leg room as none buckets. It's the seat reclining is what you loose. Good luck, it try them out. My RS has buckets and my Spyder is a weekend car, and I was going to get non-buckets. However, they were so comfortable in the RS so I got them in the Spyder. For me they make me sit properly and less stress on my back.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkerDriver
I'm 6.2 and my current 18 way seats give me plenty of legroom, does anyone know if the LWB seats give you the same amount of legroom?
Like Titleist, I'm 6'0" and find there to be plenty of leg room with the LWB fore/aft adjustment and I DO have long legs. Obviously, sit in the car tomorrow and you will know instantly.

The car im looking at is everything I want, any tips from current owners on what to look for? its certified so I'm not to worried about that part.
1. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because the car is CPO'd and don't rule out getting a PPI. See these threads for a good discussion on the merits of a PPI on a CPO car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...certified.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-cpo-tips.html

Some differences of opinion about the need for a PPI, but undoubtedly the safe play is to get one. Note that dealers have been known to shave $$ off the price if a buyer foregoes a PPI so even if you think you don't need a PPI, you may still want to us it as a bargaining chip in your price negotiations.

2. When buying from a dealer I always get at the time of purchase whatever accessories I know I will need because that's when you can get the best discount on these items as the dealer is anxious to close the sale. If, for example, you want a car cover, battery tender, key fob, license plate frame(s) -- whatever -- give your SA a laundry list and tell him you want 30-40% off this stuff. If they want the sale, they will work with you generously on the price of parts at the time of sale -- come back two weeks later to buy this stuff and your leverage is gone. If the Parts Dept. doesn't have what you want in stock, have them order it but pay for it tomorrow to lock in your price.

3. Check the front plastic lip by running your hand under it and taking a peek underneath. These things catch hell and while a little scratching is to be expected, if the lip is totally chewed up underneath I would insist they replace it.

4. Ask for a DME report.

5. Get a Carfax report. CPO cars are not necessarily accident free cars from what I have read here.

6. Have the dealer pre-program the car if it's not set up the way you want. For instance, you can have the annoying "meep-meep" sound upon locking the car disabled. You can have the doors automatically lock upon driving away as I recall. There are three or four common programming changes if memory serves that you can have done. Have the dealer go through the various pre-program options with you and have them program the car exactly how you want it before taking delivery.

7. Note that there was an open campaign recently consisting of a supplement to the Owner's Manual entitled "Boxster Spyder - Engaging convertible-top fins." It's a 29-page + manual in multiple languages. The part number for this supplement to the Owners Manual is WKD-981-800-16. The campaign number is WG20. So your car's documentation is complete, be sure to get this supplemental manual or have the dealership order it free of charge.

8. Get the original window sticker if the dealer has it.

9. Be sure you get all the manuals, of which there are several.

10. Get any service records the dealer might have on the car.

11. Make sure you get all the keys.

12. You can configure the instrument cluster to include certain vital info. Might as well have the dealer do that for you before you drive off.

13. Many dealers will at no charge and as a courtesy swap out the amber side markers with clear markers, which many prefer. If you prefer the clear, then ask them to do this, otherwise you will be forking out $100 down the road to do so.

14. I always ask for an extra set of floor mats when buying a car from a dealer and I always get them.

15. Find out when the oil was last changed.

16. The X73 suspension has been known to "settle" around 1,000 miles and none other than AP has recommended that cars with this suspension have their alignments checked for this reason. See this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...alignment.html

I would ask that the car's alignment be double checked and if it's out of alignment then have them remedy it.

17. Close the roof a few times by activating the electric roof latch to make sure it engages properly and doesn't require excessive coercion on your part to latch the roof down properly.

18. Read this pre-delivery checklist thread. Some items apply to new cars but most suggestions have equal applications to a CPO car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8891...ecklist-2.html

19. Attached is the CPO Checklist. Review it carefully and go through it in detail with your SA:

Porsche CPO Checklist.pdf

20. A Porsche Certificate of Authenticity used to be free, but now they are over $100. Ask the dealer to pay for the COA. It's nice to have and most dealers will spring for it since it probably costs them nothing.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 08-13-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

excellent info as always^
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I currently own a 981 BGTS with 18 way seats and I've been lusting for a 981 Spyder for the past 1,5 years.

ive sat in a Spyder with the manual 4 way seats and it felt more snug than my current 18way.

Im about to buy a 981 Spyder with LWB's and just a little bit cautious if it has enough room for me.

The car im looking at is everything I want, any tips from current owners on what to look for?
its certified so I'm not to worried about that part.

Greatly appreciate your help and I hope to buy the car tomorrow
I'm 6'2". I have a 981 BS with 14-way seats and I had a GT4 with LWB seats. I believe there is more leg room with the LWB seats due to the difference in thickness of the seat back. But that is anecdotal information, I never measured. But my sense was the LWB seats had more legroom with the seat all the way back.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:38 PM
HawkerDriver
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys!

the information is extremly helpful.

I wasnt able to travel up to the dealer as I was planning on doing and I don't feel right buying the car sight unseen.
Unfortunately the car might be gone by the time I have a chance to see it, but at least with all the information I'm getting from all of you I'll be ready next time

great forum

Quick Reply: LWB Vs 18 way