Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly

Old 08-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts
Default Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly

Done some searching, nothing dead on point, so quick thread. I've found a Spyder I really like, price is nuts, has LWBs instead of my preferred sofas; I know I could swap with someone but at this price, would be nice to keep them, particularly with the deviated stitching.

I sat in the LWBs in 991 GT3RS a while back and they felt a little off in the upper back, slightly tight and ever so slightly more upright than I typically sit, but I'm guessing I could get used to that. I know the in/out issues, not real concerned about that.

What I am curious about is, how comfortable is the seat padding (bottom and back) particularly after a couple of hours. Is it like sitting on boards or is it reasonably comfy and supportive?

Also, I know it's a fixed back seat, but is there any adjustability of the seat up and down?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LWB's are like wearing an Italian shoe. I was at first reticent about the lack of adjust ability but now I'm a big fanclub member.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:56 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

981/991 gen LWB or also called full bucket seats are power adjustable for height. DOT requirement as I understand it. There is not a recline adjustment. Comfort is an individual thing. I like them and no problem with 2 to 3 hour drive.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
LWB's are like wearing an Italian shoe. I was at first reticent about the lack of adjust ability but now I'm a big fanclub member.
Yes. I was actually disappointed that full buckets / fixed back seats weren't an option when I ordered my car. I put 100k miles on a Sparco Evo2 in one of my previous vehicles. Daily driver, but a well-prepared autocross toy, and I never regretted making the change to a fixed racing seat. That car had a really stiff suspension and I drove it on terrible Michigan roads. As long as I remembered to take my wallet out of my pocket on longer drives it was plenty comfy. I made a 12 hour drive from Detroit, MI to Athens, GA in that seat without an issue. I imagine newer technology with memory foams and such being used in seats these days they are likely even more comfy than that Sparco seat was 10 years ago.

Every time I take my car to the race track I go home thinking about yanking the OE seats to install proper racing buckets.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Seat padding is ok. Height adjustment is powered and works well. Recline is not an option. That is the biggest problem. I'm 6-5 and really struggle to get enjoyment out of these seats solely due to that reason.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default seats

Plenty of sport seats available -LWB a must have.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Seat padding is ok. Height adjustment is powered and works well. Recline is not an option. That is the biggest problem. I'm 6-5 and really struggle to get enjoyment out of these seats solely due to that reason.
I'm 6'1" and when I sat in them the angle didn't bother me, as I sit pretty upright typically. It felt just a very slight bit more upright than I have the 4way SS's set up in my Carrera. It did feel like the upper seat back was narrower than my 4ways though, and I didn't seem to sink into the seat backs as much. No way to tell if that's gonna bother me until I drive one for a while, which is not an option for me on this car.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

They are height adjustable.
These guys are coming out with a way to adjust the seat back angle:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1006...iber-lwbs.html

For me, they are the most comfortable of the Porsche seats. I've spent over 6 hours in them with no issues. I prefer the Full Bucket Seats (918) to the Sport Bucket Seats (GT2). Smaller, thinner people seem to prefer the sport buckets.

I wouldn't want a GT car without them. If you don't like them, you can always trade with someone and end up with about $10k in your pocket.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Dr. Bill, thanks for that link. Very interesting.

On the cost side, are you saying that it's possible/likely if I swapped with someone for sofas, I could net $10k? Are these seats that pricey?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Ten g's is a lofty goal but certainly a good profit can be had for making that switch. I was inundated with offers when I was considering it, glad I never did it.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dr. Bill, thanks for that link. Very interesting.

On the cost side, are you saying that it's possible/likely if I swapped with someone for sofas, I could net $10k? Are these seats that pricey?
Yes. So far, I do not believe they can even be ordered through parts. If they ever do become available, they will likely sell in the $15k price range, similar to the Carrera GT seats.

I know of only one confirmed trade. The cash difference was reported to be $10k. So that is possible. I would guess that at $8k you would have a line to sort through, but who knows.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 529 Posts

When adjusting the height, the tilt of the whole seat does change a little. Luckily I'm pretty thin, but think they're fine for longer drives.
You get used to getting in and out, and actually still easier than it was in my old Elise.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I wanted to test drive an Elise, then I learned that human origami is necessary with each entry and exit.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'm probably going to take the risk and just accept, worst case, I sell/swap them.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

With mooty nearby, you should be able to sell them easily. . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly