Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the new Spyder, literally! 43 miles!

Looking forward to seeing more pics when you get it in your hands.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations! Smart buy indeed! Hard to believe it's just 43 miles! Someone must have saved it hoping for price appreciation. Hopefully you didn't lose your shirt! Nice color too, though I think silver wheels could give a nice contrast. Time to break it in and then rip!

For the street, I hold the view that Spyder would out-fun a GT3. It is in such a sweet spot!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider

For the street, I hold the view that Spyder would out-fun a GT3. It is in such a sweet spot!
I totally agree. Like many others I very heavily debated selling my Spyder to buy the new GT3 but reality sunk in that I likely would never take the GT3 to the track very often and on the street it just won't be that fun. With my recent purchase of the 964 Targa I realize that you can just as easily have tons of fun and adrenaline on the street without the risk of being handcuffed. The Spyder to me is right at the very limit of what I think is acceptable to push on the street. Archimedes, Porsche helped you make the right decision by making it difficult to get the allocation for the GT3.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be getting old or maybe it's the state super speeder laws but unlike my anemic 986 the power the spyder came with is more than I can unchain on the streets.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am tall, fat, and often crippled, but I DDed lotus for five years or so (yes, snow tires on a lotus, ice storms in a lotus) so I am a seat snob. When I went to the Porsche dealer I tried all the seats. My SA (who is a spry looking thin short guy) and another SA (who is an older larger gentleman) seemed a bit perplexed as I had no desire to test drive anything, all I wanted to do was to sit in the seats (and look at colors of wheels but that is another story). 14 way sofas -- crap, just like my 993 seats. You sit on them not in them. 18 way sport plus sofa, not bad. 4 way sofas -- I actually liked better than the 18 way sport sofas. Then I set my eyes on the GT3RS with LWBs on the showroom floor. Can I sit in this? Sure they say looking at each other like WTF. As the two SAs looked on, I opened the door, removed my wallet and put it in the door pocket, checked the seat position, then quite adeptly sat in the LWBs with the grace that only someone who has done the lotus human oragami more than 1000 times can. Kinda of like the hippo dance from fantasia. I did not even touch the side booster on the way in. Other than the padding being a little soft for my taste (it could be denser like the probax in the lotus) they are about perfect for me. You just have to accept that you are not moving and are firmly wedged into your seat. I have no idea how they would be after a long trip, but after my initial 1200 mile one day journey to get my lotus home, I never had a problem with long distances in it and in fact preferred them to softer seats so I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Anyway, LWBs are the way to go, but the sofas are not bad either.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
. . . I DDed lotus for five years or so . . .
Respect.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:42 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

I surely didn't DD my Elise, but I still miss it! Would agree, if you can get in and out of a Lotus, dealing with LWB's is a piece of cake!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Payment made, car in process of service and shipment!
Love it! And with the right seats...
Old 08-19-2017, 03:03 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I must be getting old or maybe it's the state super speeder laws but unlike my anemic 986 the power the spyder came with is more than I can unchain on the streets.
+1

While I am going to buy the fabspeed kit that includes a bunch of goodies, I'm primarily doing it for the sound. I've only had the Spyder for a little over a week now, but it's more than plenty of power for street use. 4k+ is fantastic and I'm actually having fun with the car without risk of going to jail.

Congrats on your buy Archimedes -- 43 mile car is a heck of a find. Mine had 8,200 on it -- the price was too good to pass up. the color was right, and it was CPO'd. Don't have the seats, but I prefer the 18 ways. I LOVE the look of the LWBs though! It would have been a tough decision if I had found another car in the same color with LWB's for more money. I figure I can probably add them for 8-10k down the road if I decide I want them.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:23 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
+1

While I am going to buy the fabspeed kit that includes a bunch of goodies, I'm primarily doing it for the sound. I've only had the Spyder for a little over a week now, but it's more than plenty of power for street use. 4k+ is fantastic and I'm actually having fun with the car without risk of going to jail.

Congrats on your buy Archimedes -- 43 mile car is a heck of a find. Mine had 8,200 on it -- the price was too good to pass up. the color was right, and it was CPO'd. Don't have the seats, but I prefer the 18 ways. I LOVE the look of the LWBs though! It would have been a tough decision if I had found another car in the same color with LWB's for more money. I figure I can probably add them for 8-10k down the road if I decide I want them.
I'm looking forward to when you are ready to take things up a notch, as your enthusiasm just while you've been waiting for that beauty to show up has been intoxicating haha.

Careful on getting a thirst for those LWBs, I think there was some thread recently about someone paying $30k for two of them If you want some cool carbon fiber seats i'll just have them custom made for you haha. We've done custom upholstered seats before and they turned out pretty slick and a nice bit less expensive
Old 08-19-2017, 05:04 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
I'm looking forward to when you are ready to take things up a notch, as your enthusiasm just while you've been waiting for that beauty to show up has been intoxicating haha.

Careful on getting a thirst for those LWBs, I think there was some thread recently about someone paying $30k for two of them If you want some cool carbon fiber seats i'll just have them custom made for you haha. We've done custom upholstered seats before and they turned out pretty slick and a nice bit less expensive
Thanks -- finally do have the car and it's everything and more than I was hoping. In the past I've always modified my vehicles too quickly, so I'm determined not to do that this time.

I've seen some LWB's go for $10k. TBH though I really like the 18 ways. I can't imagine parking next to another car and then trying to get in/out with the LWBs. But the look is appetizing and is what would convince me eventually. I'd imagine another set will come up for $10k (18 way trade + $10k). More than that and I'd sell the car and buy one with the LWB's already in the car. Very few made in red though, probably would be nearly impossible.

edit: damn, yea -- those were for sale without trade though I assume. Not sure what the 18 ways are from Porsche.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Love it! And with the right seats...
Well, they sure look the ****, but I have still to find out whether they work as good as they look!
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
rwm (03-03-2022)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Beautiful! If they were as painful as sitting on shards of glass, I'd still probably spec them based on looks alone. God bless Lear, irrespective of the production delays and shortages many of us suffered from.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...akespeare.html

I gave up two prior Spyder allocations because these seats were unavailable each time my build went to lock and it was only on the third allocation that my order went through as supply momentarily freed up. I had to fight for these seats so they mean a lot to me.

Best $4,730 option Porsche has ever offered? Maybe.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Congrats to Archimedes on his new car.. LWb definitely make the spyder. Not to mention that they offer the opportunity for inexpensive and wonderful customization with the velcroed in seat covers which can be exchanged for any custom fabric you desire.

This car has a few bits which in my opinion REQUIRE modifying before it's complete. Starting with the engine, it deserves to be able to climb back to 911 power levels of 425hp, which the fabspeed 430 kit can help you achieve with sport headers, intake, throttle body, filters and Cobb protune. To try to explain how transformative this modification is both in terms of power delivery and sound, would be futile on my part. All I can say is that I was guest of mclaren all week and my spyder was parked outside the hotel where we stayed and occasionally driven, and many mclaren owners asked for rides and described the sound as belonging to an exotic.

Additional visual elements I would suggest are the gt4 scoops painted body Como which add visual width to the car and remove the more slab-sides look of the 981. And lastly, move up to 285/35/20 and 245/35/20 tire sizes for a more compliant ride, better grip, less understeer at the limit, and a subtly more aggressive look.

The rest of the mods I did are purely optional.. but the above are transformative for the spyder. Enjoy
Attached Images    
Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Your car was awesome, but I'm a stocker kinda guy. Other than the clear marker lights and, maybe, down the road a while, a set of 5 spoke HREs, I'm gonna keep her stock. This is the first car where I think the stretched tires on the rear actually look good. I usually don't like that look, but I think it works great on this car.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly