Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 shopping, and I found the most basic spec I've ever seen... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:23 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 981 shopping, and I found the most basic spec I've ever seen... thoughts?

I am a former 2x 911 owner (997.2 C2 and 997.1 TT) and am looking to work my way back to the brand. Unlike the last two times however, this time I want a pure driver's car that I'm going to learn to track (I've never been to a road course and only don't auto-x twice). My local indy mechanic and longtime Porsche race car driver and team pit boss has always preached the "it is more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow" mantra, plus he has stressed that people should learn on something without a lot of power so they really learn how to drive.

This time around I'm shopping for a Cayman. I'm looking at a base model vs. an S or GTS largely due to budget... since this is a car I plan on taking to the track and autoX instead of just hard parking at the local PCA meets and cars & coffees like I did with my other two 911s, I'd rather come in at a lower entry price and leave myself room to spend on modifications and parts I'll eventually need. That, and I kind of like the thought of extracting the most I can out of the car. I'm also looking at the 981 instead of the 987 simply because I absolutely LOVE the look of the 981, both inside and out. Admittedly, I've only driven the 987 (both S and base), so I've got to drive the 981 first of course, but I expect to like it. Plus, I want something a bit newer.

So I found a low mileage 6sp manual 2015 that is the right color combo that I am looking for as well. But man, it is the most basic Porsche build I think I've ever seen. It seemingly has no options above the standard equipment other than the 19" Cayman S wheels. No power or heated seats. No Nav. No bi-Xenons! I didn't even know they made these cars without bi-Xenons. Am I taking this minimalist thing too far? The only mod that I think I'm absolutely going to miss are the lack of xenon headlights, because that just seems weird on a Porsche... but the car is priced accordingly. $40,500 for a 1 owner 2015 with 11K miles. Does anyone have a similarly stripped down Cayman, and if so, anything that you absolutely regret?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I almost feel like you're already feeling a tinge of regret? Maybe best to keep looking unless cost is really that much of a factor... but taking into consideration that 981 inventories nationwide aren't exceptionally accommodating and you'll likely end up compromising on SOMETHING anyway.

I don't have the direct experience you're asking for as mine is exceptionally well equipped and I don't feel like I could deal with almost any of it not being there. Even the silly things like Porsche Entry and Drive. But I compromised on mileage.

But playing devil's advocate, if this is a 3rd car that will be primarily a track rat, I think you could end up overlooking a lot of creature comforts. (Mine is not, it's daily driven except in exceptionally cold weather/snow). Plus if you're planning on doing some major renovations on it then things like PASM, PSE, etc. might not even be desired (but things like PTV and X73 might be...).

That's probably not very useful but hopefully adding some food for thought.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:28 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

" ... I want a pure driver's car that I'm going to learn to track "

It would seem to me that a lightly optioned 6spd would be exactly what you would want.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I almost feel like you're already feeling a tinge of regret? Maybe best to keep looking unless cost is really that much of a factor... but taking into consideration that 981 inventories nationwide aren't exceptionally accommodating and you'll likely end up compromising on SOMETHING anyway.

I don't have the direct experience you're asking for as mine is exceptionally well equipped and I don't feel like I could deal with almost any of it not being there. Even the silly things like Porsche Entry and Drive. But I compromised on mileage.

But playing devil's advocate, if this is a 3rd car that will be primarily a track rat, I think you could end up overlooking a lot of creature comforts. (Mine is not, it's daily driven except in exceptionally cold weather/snow). Plus if you're planning on doing some major renovations on it then things like PASM, PSE, etc. might not even be desired (but things like PTV and X73 might be...).

That's probably not very useful but hopefully adding some food for thought.
it was very useful, thank you. And you are right, if this were going to be a car that I would do more than track and weekend drive, a lot of those options would be sorely missed. I don't have any regrets because I have not purchased the car yet, but I will admit that the lack of xenon headlights did give me a bit of pause. Though, like you said some compromises will have to be made, and I think I would rather have the lower mileage and lower price than the xenons when it comes right down to it.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
it was very useful, thank you. And you are right, if this were going to be a car that I would do more than track and weekend drive, a lot of those options would be sorely missed. I don't have any regrets because I have not purchased the car yet, but I will admit that the lack of xenon headlights did give me a bit of pause. Though, like you said some compromises will have to be made, and I think I would rather have the lower mileage and lower price than the xenons when it comes right down to it.
To be honest, I drive a lot of rental cars that do not have xenons and can't really say I miss them all that much.

And you definitely won't need them on track!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I track my zero option base 2014 Cayman and love it. 72 track days over 5 years and all is well. It is the perfect track car for a beginner to intermediate driver. There is a lot to learn, whether you currently appreciate it or not.

You will eventually need to upgrade the brake rotors (I use girodisc slotted) and I also added the x73 suspension (bought parts from Suncoast and paid a shop to install and track align. I also installed track seats, a harness bar and 6-point harnesses to use with my Hans. This was after running for a couple years with the base suspension (not bad) and base manual seats.

Last year I bought a louder exhaust and got a Cobb tune. It’s a slippery slope as they say..

The only thing I slightly regret is not getting a better speaker package, as the base speakers are pretty lame.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a low optioned 2014 Cayman that now has 20 track days on it. I can basically say ditto on Pep!RRRR's comments. I installed the X73 the exact same way he did. Bought the parts from Suncoast and had a local garage do the work. I also added the Sport Exhaust which sounds great and for me, on the track is actually useful in that I can hear throttle input. My instructors have made the same comment noting when I was on the gas to soon. The only thing I wish I had was better speakers just like Pep!RRRR.

This Cayman is nicest car I've owned, so I don't really know what I was missing. I bought it off the lot before discovering the Porsche configurator and all of these forums. So, thankfully, I did not realize you could obsess over all the possible options. I would have gone into brain lock. The base Cayman is plenty fun on the street.

In our region's track events, there are many 944/964s turned into track/race cars being used by the instructors. I have a suspicion that Cayman's will become the replacements for those cars as they wear out. Good balance, enough power to be fun, and going down in price.

As an aside, Pep!RRRR, do you leave the track seats in full time or swap out for the regular seats? What harness bar did you get?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the BGB harness bar, which fits well and places the harnesses at a proper angle.

Regarding the seats, I have to pass a state safety inspection every year, which means swapping out the Sparco racing seats for OEM, resetting the airbag light (use Durametric), and then replacing the track seats at some point afterwards. The remove/replace is a quick operation once you do it a couple times. A better way to go might be to purchase some used Porsche racing seats with a built in “thorax” airbag, possibly avoiding the airbag warning light issue. If anyone has found a good solution to this I’d be interested in hearing it.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Halogen sucks in modern cars (because the available space is too small for H4 to work as well as in older cars). I wouldn't do that.

I also find that S models are not really that much more expensive when the options and colors are off the popular choices.

I think you might be better off looking for a car in crazy color combo or very odd option mix than just saying "base model with no options". It is hard to figure out which option adds how much weight, thoguh.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Sounds like a great car. What seats does it have? Hardback Sports = desireable.

As mentioned you can add the X73 Sport Suspension and the Porsche Sport Exhaust and you’ll have a super fun car.

Good luck!

Ps. And don’t forget you are price wise in 987.2 Cayman R territory which would be my choice.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
" ... I want a pure driver's car that I'm going to learn to track "

It would seem to me that a lightly optioned 6spd would be exactly what you would want.
+1
Old 01-21-2018, 04:25 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I track my zero option base 2014 Cayman and love it. 72 track days over 5 years and all is well. It is the perfect track car for a beginner to intermediate driver. There is a lot to learn, whether you currently appreciate it or not.

You will eventually need to upgrade the brake rotors (I use girodisc slotted) and I also added the x73 suspension (bought parts from Suncoast and paid a shop to install and track align. I also installed track seats, a harness bar and 6-point harnesses to use with my Hans. This was after running for a couple years with the base suspension (not bad) and base manual seats.

Last year I bought a louder exhaust and got a Cobb tune. It’s a slippery slope as they say..

The only thing I slightly regret is not getting a better speaker package, as the base speakers are pretty lame.
Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of getting the X73 package and adding it, because the very first mod (other than clear side markers and upgraded brake fluid) that I planned on doing was suspension, and I think the X73 is a much more complete package than me buying coilovers or springs separately and putting something together myself. I wasn't even thinking of just ordering the X73 package as an option, but thanks to your post I'm 99% sure that's exactly what I'm going to do.

As for the audio, I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I've upgraded the audio system in most of the cars I've owned. In my teenage and early 20 years, I did car audio as a side hobby, installing amps and speakers in my cars and those for my friends. I'll give the stock system a whirl in the Cayman, but I'm sure I'll be adding some upgraded speakers and an amp at some point very soon.

You guys are all making me feel better about my decision to buy a "stripper" Cayman and build it up the way I like. Realistically, I don't plan to drive it in the rain and probably won't drive it at night a whole lot anyway, so I'm thinking I won't miss the xenons as much as I initially thought. I've been wanting to get in to DEs as a hobby and have been looking for a car to do that with. This car does seem to be what I am looking for. I've had higher HP cars for many, many years, but one of my favorite cars I've ever owned was my first, unmodified (except for suspension) Honda S2000. This car seems to be the evolution of that.

If I do pull the trigger and buy the car, I'll update this thread with pics!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sounds like a great car. What seats does it have? Hardback Sports = desireable.

As mentioned you can add the X73 Sport Suspension and the Porsche Sport Exhaust and you’ll have a super fun car.

Good luck!

Ps. And don’t forget you are price wise in 987.2 Cayman R territory which would be my choice.
I'm not entirely sure what type of seats it has other than they are the basic Cayman seats. If the hardback sport seats are an option, then no, it doesn't have those. And I took a look at your signature and you appear to have owned similar Porsches to what I've owned in the past. Off topic from this thread, but how have you found your current 987 compared to your previous 997s? I actually liked my 997.2 C2 better than my 997.1TT. I bought the turbo because I felt I had to own one to see what that was like, but the rear wheel drive, lighter, more plain C2 was actually more fun to drive. Plus, I liked the 997.2 interior over the 997.1. I am thinking the 981 will be similarly as fun, if not more so. I kind of looked at the Cayman Rs, but I can't seem to find one for the price range of this base 981.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 AM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Pep!RRRR. Sorry for not saying thank you earlier. I got busy yesterday.

vbb, sorry for kinda interjecting into your thread. Didn't mean to do that. Look forward to seeing pictures if you get a car. It would also be interesting to hear your take comparing it to your previous Porsches which had more power. I had one other comment on the stripper cars, specifically the radio. How is it that a modern car will bluetooth to your phone for phone calls, but won't stream music? I guess that is a Porsche thing since they option everything, but gee whiz. I did finally buy one of the blue tooth connectors for the AUX jack which works. Just one of those frustrating things.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm not entirely sure what type of seats it has other than they are the basic Cayman seats. If the hardback sport seats are an option, then no, it doesn't have those. And I took a look at your signature and you appear to have owned similar Porsches to what I've owned in the past. Off topic from this thread, but how have you found your current 987 compared to your previous 997s? I actually liked my 997.2 C2 better than my 997.1TT. I bought the turbo because I felt I had to own one to see what that was like, but the rear wheel drive, lighter, more plain C2 was actually more fun to drive. Plus, I liked the 997.2 interior over the 997.1. I am thinking the 981 will be similarly as fun, if not more so. I kind of looked at the Cayman Rs, but I can't seem to find one for the price range of this base 981.
My current 987.2? I am repeat offender which says it all. The last of the 987.2's - the Spyders and CRs - basically have the suspension package that was the predecessor to the 981 X73 package. 20mms lower and sooooo very very good. That combined with the last of the hydraulic steering is a sublime driving experience which is a big reason why I sold the basic non-X73 981 Cayman and jumped back into the Spyder. This is why I'd recommend looking at a CR, IF you can find one. They're getting rare now like the gen 1 Spyders.

The TT cab I owned? Yes - I echo your sentiments on that car. Brutal power but a bit of an understeering pig (sorry porcine members of the animal kingdom) to drive and yes - the 997's RWD and the 987s more fun to drive. That being said, I do miss it as a daily driver. If I was to choose one car to do it all a TT cab is certainly on the list.

The 981 interior is a step up in many ways but the 987 is simpler, more basic sports car. And the radio? I'm ordering the little box from Suncoast and janking it out this year. Gotta save weight (and I never listen to it)!

Did you see that super cool CR on Bring a Trailer? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-cayman-r-3/ I would buy this car in a heartbeat. It ticks all the boxes and love or hate the wheels you can always paint them. I love it.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 981 shopping, and I found the most basic spec I've ever seen... thoughts?