Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sealant expiration HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:19 PM
darreldore
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Sealant expiration HELP

My 2013 Boxster S - Tire Sealant is past the expiration date on the bottle of Sealant. Question is how long is the real/actual shelf life of the sealant? Mine was produced Oct 15, 2012 with an EXP Date of Oct/2016. Is it really no longer an effective puncture fixer after four years?
Darrel
Old 07-22-2017, 02:34 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

No idea, but you can get a bottle of Slime Tire Sealant for $10 that'll work the same. It'll even fit in the factory storage location. So might as well just replace it if there's any question.

The factory stuff is like $80. It's made from the tears of Stuttgart unicorns but is functionally no different than the Slime.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure what Porsche puts in their sealant these days, but there are a couple forum threads suggesting you're better off with some modern era Slime that is much friendlier to your tire repairman. The big difference is allegedly the ease with which the slime can be removed from tire/rim. Maybe Porsche has changed their formulation also, but I too would suggest just getting some Slime.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Reading the bottle of the new OE sealant confirms that the unicorn tears are still dangerous to humans and hard to remove. A bottle of Slime was added to the boot.

Greg
Old 07-24-2017, 04:52 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 130 Posts

That crap went out my car since day 1. Put a flat tire repair kit (StopNgo) in its place. Also replaced the compressor for a similar one but with a SAE connector (I installed a waterproof one to charge the battery, and it's reachable from the base of the windshield with nothing to open), so don't have to worry about the 12V fuse blowing out. I could have just bought a cigarette lighter to SAE extension, but after several reports of factory compressor crapping out, why take a chance. Also keep in mind that ANY tire 'sealant' will most likely ruin the sensor. That's another reason I don't like that stuff (besides not being very effective, especially in hot weather, like where I live).
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That crap went out my car since day 1. Put a flat tire repair kit (StopNgo) in its place. Also replaced the compressor for a similar one but with a SAE connector (I installed a waterproof one to charge the battery, and it's reachable from the base of the windshield with nothing to open), so don't have to worry about the 12V fuse blowing out. I could have just bought a cigarette lighter to SAE extension, but after several reports of factory compressor crapping out, why take a chance. Also keep in mind that ANY tire 'sealant' will most likely ruin the sensor. That's another reason I don't like that stuff (besides not being very effective, especially in hot weather, like where I live).

I'm not convinced there is much benefit to a tire plug/repair kit for a car with no jack or lug wrench??
Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 PM
danschy
Instructor

Originally Posted by billwot
I'm not convinced there is much benefit to a tire plug/repair kit for a car with no jack or lug wrench??
Agreed, but those are easy additions. There are a couple threads on the topic. 986 Boxster jacks are available on ebay for <$100 and you can pick up an extendable lug wrench. Both are said to tuck nicely behind the driver's seat. Haven't done it yet but probably will before my next cross-country trip.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
Zero benefit, I'd say. But I obviously have them. Brand new, never used, tucked behind passenger seat (zero limitations of seat movement), along with a 'Gorilla' wrench, to make easy work of the 118 ft/lbs. Behind my seat resides the front plate with bracket (1-min install if needed), and the Porsche sunshield, which is a tight fit behind the 1" or so backrest space, so no movement. The black Porsche umbrella fits under the side of my seat, below the seat controls, out of view. What I might add is a small piece of 2x4 to fit under the jack if needed. Have both rear cubbies empty, so an easy fit. Also need to buy one of those OBDII Porsche devices to clear codes and maintenance. Weigh next to nothing, and stash it on a cubbie too.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that makes it a little more logical. If you're actually equipped and prepared to do a "tire change", then a plug kit makes some sense. I will confess to adding some onboard accessories that I have not traditionally carried in other cars, including my sports cars. I purchased a 12V power pak with an alligator clip cable and a lighter/socket cable. I carry a qt. of Mobil 1. I bought a small tool bag for the assortment of cleaning/detailing supplies I decided I "needed", and another small bag for a small assortment of simple basic hand tools.

But I think I'll pass on the tire repair contingency, and take my chances. I don't think I have had a tire failure on the road for about 30 years, but I have had a couple of battery/alternator events. Given modern tire tech, there are probably a few other failure threats that are a greater risk than a flat tire.

But...what ever gear feels good to anyone else is all good.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 PM
danschy
Instructor

Well I guess we all have different "luck" - mine has been to find stray nails on the road...

Quick Reply: Tire Sealant expiration HELP