Sponsored by:

718 Boxster GTS

Old 07-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Still looks ugly.

The Boxster/Cayman GTS trim has always been a bit of a joke IMO. Some ugly plastic bits added outside, overdone interior with alcatara and loud stitching everywhere, and a negligible HP boost.
I differ on this point, I really like the GTS trim on the 981 plus I'm a big fan of the leather / alcantara / contrast stitching.
In fact I won't buy any Porsche without the leather dash/doors etc..
I waited 12 months to find a decent spec 987.2 with leather and Spyder wheels......

It just makes me feel good ever time I sit in it.
And I sit in my cars a lot :-)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I echo everyone's comments: those front and rear bumpers look bad! I am sure they are functional; but, aesthetically, look tacky and inelegant. Porsche might fall back to usual HP bump of 15-20, since 982s already have a higher baseline.

This is just the second gen of GTS for Boxster/Cayman line. So, they will get it right eventually. Or, the finished package will be better than very-early spy shots. Or not!

Boxster7, pc4ever: NA has already been confirmed for Spyder and GT4. So, if you wanna it, get on a list! They will have bespoke front and rear-ends (but, sharing the lightings).

Yeah, it is my view as well, that 981 iteration is the best thus far, in terms of exterior and interior styling. of course, we can't have what we all want from 987.2: steering!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

I'm on the list for GT4 and I'm sure my dealer would like to swap my 981 for a 982 Spyder if the NA comes through.
Not worried though either way as I love my 981.
I can't really see the 982 being a huge step change upwards anyway.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7
I differ on this point, I really like the GTS trim on the 981 plus I'm a big fan of the leather / alcantara / contrast stitching.
Ditto. I always thought GTS trim was perceived as a good value in the Porsche world with the cost of the options it includes falling way short of what it would tally if you priced those options separately:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...d-test-review/

And we all know how pricey hp increase options generally are on Porsches. On the Turbo S you pay a whopping $30,000 for a 40 hp boost as I recall. Granted, the 15 hp increase on the 981 Boxster/Cayman GTS isn't as generous, but given how precious extra ponies are priced in the Porsche world, I'll take the additional 15, thank you very much!

The GTS interior options are obviously a matter of personal taste, but as a fan of alcantara and deviated stitching, they make for a very handsome cabin IMO.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pc4ever
Well that may be true, unless one wants to track their car. Little chance that a 981 GTS will be "better" than a 718 GTS. The 981 GTS will sound better though.
I was talking strictly looks but since you bring it up.

No doubt the 718 will have much more performance.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Ditto. I always thought GTS trim was perceived as a good value in the Porsche world with the cost of the options it includes falling way short of what it would tally if you priced those options separately:
Buyers think they're getting a good deal, but in reality all Porsche did was force you to buy a **** ton of options. Yes, it's cheaper than tarting up an S, but in the end it's also almost always a more expensive car than the average specced S, because there are options thrown in that few people would pay for ala carte.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Archimedes I think this just shows there are two camps ref how we want our sports cars.
Some want all the leather stitching and a feeling of a nice place to be.
Whilst others prefer a stripper (in car terms !) with a more raw edge to ownership.

Two different but completely exceptable stances as far as I'm corncerned.

Something for everyone, with the highly amusing Porsche options list.

I think I'm still in recovery 2 years after ordering mine !
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7
I really feel that the 981 is probably going to be the pinnacle of the 2 seater sports car.
This is true, at least until we see what they do with the next Spyder and GT4. I expect the usual top mechanism out of a Monty Python skit, 718-based styling cues straight out of the Pontiac Aztek/C7 Corvette school, and enough "eco-friendly" features to grant the driver his/her final divorce papers from the classic sports-car experience.

But the NA powertrain, judged by itself, will probably be remembered as Porsche's last and best.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:55 PM
pc4ever
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
This is true, at least until we see what they do with the next Spyder and GT4. I expect the usual top mechanism out of a Monty Python skit, 718-based styling cues straight out of the Pontiac Aztek/C7 Corvette school, and enough "eco-friendly" features to grant the driver his/her final divorce papers from the classic sports-car experience.

But the NA powertrain, judged by itself, will probably be remembered as Porsche's last and best.
This is the kind of post that will be interesting to recall a year or two from now. I'm of the school of thought that there will still be future "good ol' days".
Old 07-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I'm of the school of thought that there will still be future "good ol' days".
Oh, there will be, no question about it, but it's also indisputable that we're at the end of a very long era.

The cars we have, meaning as they are today, are not going to get any better. The 718 is an exercise in fixing things that weren't broken on the 981, and it's all downhill from here.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd never buy a 718 just because of the engine (a 4, and a turbo), but after seeing those pictures, there's nothing I like better on the 718 than the 981 GTS. But I expected that, since the GTS package is not a drastic departure, like the 718 needed. The 981 GTS made the car look much more aggressive, but the 781 just looks weirder IMO. Both the front and back fascias are out of place. Did Porsche make some design personnel changes from 981 to 718? It sure looks that way.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

You're kidding? Will the new Spyder be as good as the 981 Spyder? The current Boxster 718 S matches the performance of the 981 Spyder. Depending on what tires Porsche uses, the upcoming 718 GTS will likely match the performance of the 981 based GT4.

You think that Porsche is going to release a 718 based Spyder or GT4 that will be a step backwards in performance from the current generation Spyder and GT4?

Here's the problem with passionate car ownership - there's always something better coming. It's how they feed our addiction. Example: I owned a r8 V10 - who would have thought that a 4 cylinder entry level Porsche could match or exceed the 'ring time of that 540 hp beauty.
Yeah, the new 718 S w/ the PDK is 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Very, very fast. 3.1 for the 991.2 S. According to car reviewers anyway. Personally, I think Porsche will get it very, very right with the 718 Spyder/GT4 (rumor is a 4.0 flat N/A six -- likely de-tuned I'm sure). I'm going to get on the list from the dealer in which I bought my newly acquired 981 Spyder.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Looks HORRIBLE IMO. Somehow modernized w/o the class and elegance that the 981 model line had. I hope the GT4 looks better otherwise I'll have to cancel my order and get something else.
I totally agree its an angular disaster, I sincerely trust the new Spyder or GT4 dont look like this cos if they do I wont be buying one
Old 08-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Looks HORRIBLE IMO. Somehow modernized w/o the class and elegance that the 981 model line had. I hope the GT4 looks better otherwise I'll have to cancel my order and get something else.
I totally agree its an angular disaster, I sincerely trust the new Spyder or GT4 dont look like this cos if they do I wont be buying one
Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 Boxster GTS