Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaks, wind noises, rattles, squeaks and whines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Creaks, wind noises, rattles, squeaks and whines.

I was just reading a couple of unrelated threads that talked about windscreen creak and a "rope fix". More info please...

But my car has more rattles than a rich baby as well as an annoying whine.

I'm sure that mine is not the only one, so I had an idea.

Can I ask anyone who has ever killed an unwelcome noise in their 993 to describe it and how they killed it.

I'll begin the list with a rattle that seemed to come from the top brake light or the sunroof mechanism or even the rear speaker shelf. I thought this because I have just had rear screen trouble, it seemed most obvious.

It turned out to be the plastic inner liners of the rear fenders. Tightening and repositioning them was not enough to stop them vibrating in the wind, so I cut along a piece of hose ans slid it along the edge of the plastic so when it sat in the lip of the fender it was snug and didn't rattle any longer.

I also mentioned a whine. In the last 4 or 5 hundred kilometres, my car has developed a definite whine from the rear when driving on light throttle in any gear and in both tip or auto modes. Is this an easy fix like throw some sort of additive to shut it up...

Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes....

Its not a matter of turning up the music a bit because then you can't hear the engine sound, and who doesn't like hearing that.

I look forward to some good responses, thanks.

Alan
Old 01-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

>windscreen creak and a "rope fix". More info please...

Porsche sells a kit to fix the windshield - although it also applies to the rear of the car. It is basically a light grey rubber rope that you can squeeze inside the existing windshield seals. Surprisingly, if you never looked, what looks like a the seal on the 993 is just a cover and behind it there is a gap in which you can easily fit that rope. With a copious dose of silicone lubricant. I did this to my car 6+ months ago, front and rear took maybe 15 minutes, and it has been quiet since, except for when I had the RS motor mounts (that was noisy)
Old 01-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Thanks Greg, I'll ask my local Porsche dealer if they have it.

Anyone got any more?

Alan
Old 01-10-2004, 07:47 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat shields around engine and CATS can corrode and be "hanging around" loose - this can rattle away in the back when driving but not at idle. Plate used is paper thin - no wonder they don't last in a bad climate.

PJC
Old 01-10-2004, 09:39 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an annoying intermittent whine on my 964. In my case it turned out to be the bearings in the alternator. Rather than replace the alternator, I had a local shop replace just the bearings and brushes. Worked fine and quietly after that, and since I did the labor myself the total cost was about $50 US. Unfortunately, alternator replacement is not the easiest DIY and I spent about two whole days messing with it.

LeeH
Aiken, SC USA
1996 C2 Coupe
Old 01-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I also mentioned a whine. In the last 4 or 5 hundred kilometres, my car has developed a definite whine from the rear when driving on light throttle in any gear and in both tip or auto modes. Is this an easy fix like throw some sort of additive to shut it up..."

Please let me know if you find a solution for this "whine." I don't think it is something that an additive will fix. I've had people with stethoscopes try to find the source and while it seems throttle-area-related, no one can trace it. Sometimes I feel like taking the whole thing apart myself, but my few DIY's, while pretty successful, do not qualify me for this!! I have a Tiptronic Cab, and with the top down it is more than annoying.

Simon
(originally from Adelaide!)
Old 01-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone knows the part number for the windshield anti-creak kit from porsche?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Keep them coming, there have to be lots of DIY noise fixes.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Anyone got any other thoughts on the whine I discribed, it is not engine as it remains at the same tone if you downshift from 4th to 3rd and then apply the same light throttle, but it changes with road speed.

I think it may be in the final drive or a bearing somewhere. I had a '82 Honda Accord with 350,000 kilometres on it that whined a bit like this in 5th gear only and that turned out to be a bearing. I don't know if the same applies but my Porsche only had 106,000 kilometres.

Alan
Old 01-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Possibly the fan belt roller/sensor?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Langers
Intermediate

Alan - sent you a private message.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

The rope fix for squeaky windshields is actually for 996s, the part number can be found in the archives. Some have had luck with it on 993s...I have found a chain lube with teflon (similar to Pedros) recommended by my local high-end bike shop works best, repeated every 3-4 months.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 AM
forest
Advanced

aussie alan,

could it be the blower-fan-motor nearing the end of life?

try disconnecting it (just unplug it) for a day or so, see if the whine goes away.

i think the only thing u lose by unplugging it is heat for the winter, someone correct me if i'm wrong pls.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:47 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Here are a few noises/solutions that I have found:

1) Noise: Rattles from inside the doors.
Solution: Remove the adhesive backed sound deadening material from the inside of the door. This is an extremely common problem. (search archives)

2) Noise: Rattle from the door latch mechanism when driving over potholes.
Solution: Adjust the striker plate. Requires a special tool that can be bought for under $20. (search archives)

3) Noise: Rattle from area near passenger side pollen filter.
Solution: Retrieve screwdriver lost when replacing said filter.

4) Noise: Noise from under spare tire.
Solution: Wrap tool kit in a towel.

5) Noise: Rattle that seems to come from behind the dashboard.
Solution: Remove cassette tape from radio.

6) Noise: Rattle that seems to come from behind the dashboard.
Solution: Noise goes away when I push up on the right side of the dashboard under the right air duct. I plan to remove the glove box door and liner to track this one down. (Disconnect battery first. Don't want to trigger the passenger airbag.)

7) Noise: Rattle coming from cab top mechanics behind and above top of driver window.
Solution: Tighten loose wind deflector mount. (So I've heard)

8) Noise: Sound of liquid pouring into bowl coming from behind rear right seat.
Solution: Learn to love it. It's the oil returning to the oil tank.

9) Noise: Creak from where cab top guide pin fits into hole in windshield frame.
Solution: If a 95, replace guide pin with thicker, Teflon coated pin from 96+.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Wsp964
Racer

Any effective solution for the rattle/noise of the front/rear plastic inner liners in the fenders when driving over potholes ?

Thanks,

WSP993

Quick Reply: Creaks, wind noises, rattles, squeaks and whines.