Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyders - 981 Vs. 987.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts
Default Spyders - 981 Vs. 987.2?

So by now some Rennlisters have rec'd their new 981 Spyders who used to own 987.2's. As a 987.2 owner I've started to snoop around the 981. Can anyone who has owned both bring me up to speed on the experience? I know the details of the engine etc... but what about how it drives vs. the last one? Steering now electric vs. hydraulic, more HP, different roof, lost the groovy pointed side window in favor of the rounded etc... What are your honest thoughts? Any regrets or laments for the 987.2 (Note: I lament all my previous P-cars. I wish I had them all!) ?

TIA...
Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Joe are you convincing yourself to be happy with your 987.2 or or are you trying to justify for an "upgrade"
Old 11-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Joe are you convincing yourself to be happy with your 987.2 or or are you trying to justify for an "upgrade"
I can't stop laughing! Way too funny...

Uhhh...hmmm... I just can't seem to come up with an answer...
Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a 987.2 Spyder even though I nearly got a 2nd hand one but pulled off in the last minute.

The torsional rigidity of the 981 is 40% stiffer than the 987 and I believe that might apply to the Spyders as well. Stiffer chassis + the 3.8l torque will make the most difference in driving experience during on power.

If they got the chassis dynamic right than this difference will be a positive one for the 981 Spyder. Therefore (steering aside) I believe the 981 Spyder will be more enjoyable to power around.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm very interested in response to the OP's question as well. I have a 987.2 Spyder with 3.8L engine swap. My favorite car I've ever owned (including comparisons to exotics I've had). I may have an opportunity to drive a 981 Spyder this week. Will report back on my findings.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I'm very interested in response to the OP's question as well. I have a 987.2 Spyder with 3.8L engine swap. My favorite car I've ever owned (including comparisons to exotics I've had). I may have an opportunity to drive a 981 Spyder this week. Will report back on my findings.
You probably have the most interesting comparative knowledge of anyone with that combo.. Equal power, so you can just focus on all the other elements to compare the 987 vs 981.. Will be interested in what you have to say.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:25 AM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from the 987 Spyder to the GT4. Not exactly what you're looking for but similar! Unfortunately I've only put 100 miles on the new car so can't really help you out yet :/ Unless you have some basic questions!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 AM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had a shortish drive in the new Spyder, and owned a 987.2 Spyder with PDK, so can't really comment on the manual like for like, I can say the manual gear change is superb as everyone says on the new one though.

From that short drive on UK back roads, I'd have to say I preferred the old model hyd steering, just a bit heavier and the feel/feedback for me was noticeably better. The new steering is lighter and probably sharper and is nice, but just a bit different.

The ride in the new one was noticeably better, just more composed but still stiff, it did feel great and real fun to drive.

The engine note with the roof down was very impressive , and really added to the driving experience for me. Roof was still a bit fiddly but simpler and quicker to put up/down, and probably less wind noise etc.

Power needless to say is also very impressive and a big difference from the old one as expected, I'm sure getting the tail moving if you want to will be pretty easy.

I'm going for the new one and really looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks time, don't really have any real negative issues to report from the recent short drive to be honest.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Just a short list of some basics:
1. Transmission in the Spyder was great, but the GT4 is the best manual I've ever driven. And the little auto-blip feature has turned out to be loads of fun!
2. Steering feel in the spyder is better, but not by much; although like I said before, I've yet to get any seat time in the GT4 on the track.
3. Drive in the GT4 is faaaar more comfortable than the spyder, yet still very rigid and sporty (not to mention all of the better tech and interior)
4. The noise of the 3.8L is AMAZING! I had a tubi exhaust on the spyder which I loved and was my favorite mod, however it pales in comparison to the GT4.
5. Still following my own version of the break in period, so have yet to get above 4500 rpm, but from what I've read/seen, the power difference is very noticeable especially above 5k.

Worth noting that I was contemplating keeping both the Spyder and the GT4. However after taking delivery and a few drives in the new car, the Spyder was an easy sell. I'll miss it, but if it's one vs the other......
Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sliollio
1. Transmission in the Spyder was great, but the GT4 is the best manual I've ever driven. And the little auto-blip feature has turned out to be loads of fun!
2. Steering feel in the spyder is better, but not by much; although like I said before, I've yet to get any seat time in the GT4 on the track.
3. Drive in the GT4 is faaaar more comfortable than the spyder, yet still very rigid and sporty (not to mention all of the better tech and interior)
4. The noise of the 3.8L is AMAZING! I had a tubi exhaust on the spyder which I loved and was my favorite mod, however it pales in comparison to the GT4.
5. Still following my own version of the break in period, so have yet to get above 4500 rpm, but from what I've read/seen, the power difference is very noticeable especially above 5k.

Worth noting that I was contemplating keeping both the Spyder and the GT4. However after taking delivery and a few drives in the new car, the Spyder was an easy sell. I'll miss it, but if it's one vs the other......
Nice write up.
Can you compare the gearing or to soon given that you have stayed below 5000
Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 AM
sliollio
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPMD
Nice write up.
Can you compare the gearing or to soon given that you have stayed below 5000
Still tough to say since I haven't got to really rip through the gears, but from everything I've heard it's not terrible. Yea it's not ideal (I'd prefer 65-low 70s) but it hasn't seemed to be a deal breaker for anyone in the GT4 section.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sliollio

Thanks for the info but I think the OP is trying to compare Spyders, not a Spyder to a GT4.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Thanks for the info but I think the OP is trying to compare Spyders, not a Spyder to a GT4.
Yes - this is true. It may be a bit of a jump comparing the 981 Spyder to the GT4. I know the suspension is different and I do not know if that intoxicating GT4 exhaust note (I drove behind one for 45 minutes and it truly is exceptional) will be the same.

Regardless, thanks for everyone's posts. From all reports I think the 981 Spyder (like the 987.2 Spyder) will be a truly remarkable car.

Keep the comparisons coming...
Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Originally Posted by il pirata
Hence my above post where I stated something along the lines of "not exactly what you're looking for, but similar" ...just trying to help a little
Old 11-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok. I just got done with the test drive. Let's just say that if I hadn't already done the 3.8L swap on my 987.2, I would have written a check today.

Here are my thoughts:

1 - car looks much more aggressive. Certainly the nose is a massive improvement. Longer wheelbase makes the car look more sleek. Where 987 is more quaint and round. That said, I still prefer the rear humps of the 987

2 - the exhaust. Omg the exhaust. Aside from a 991 GT3 at full clip, I think that's the best stock Porsche exhaust note I've heard. Really. It's intoxicating and it's freaking loud for a stock setup. I have fabspeed catless headers and rear maxflo exhaust on my 3.8L 987 and it's not as loud as the 981 stock. My car now sounds like crap next to that thing

3 - power. It isn't a fair comparison as I have the 3.8L X51 power kit engine putting out ~420-430 bhp. So the 981 isn't quite as eager as my car, but it is a massive step on from the 987 3.4L. Night and day. With the added power and severely pissed off sounding exhaust, the Boxster is finally a sinister little piece of kit.

4 - steering. Love the smaller diameter wheel. Weighting and response feel great. As you'd expect not as direct and jittery as the 987 hydraulic setup. Still plenty communicative but the 987 wins here.

5 - tranny. It's the perfect manual. It really is. I have the short shift kit on my 987, and the 981 stock throw is similar, maybe even shorter. The action is extremely precise and not quite as gummy as the 987. Shift lever position is perfection. Clutch engagement is better in the 981 and lower to the floor, which is great. Gearing, yes, it's long...but all street Porsches are. That exhaust note and the 6MT are the obvious defining aspects of this car. Anyone who orders a GT4 with PDK in the future is an idiot (sorry, my rather strong opinion)

6 - suspension. Candidly, I didn't have enough time to fully judge this, but the car is clearly more planted in fast sweepers than the 987. I have 100% stock suspension on my car, and the 981 felt more stable, more composed. Perhaps a bit less playful and more purposeful. I do wish the adjustable setup of the GT4 had made its way into the Spyder.

7 - less important to me, but it did make an impact...the interior. Even with the base leather package it's very nice. Modern, sleek and does make the 987 feel dated.

8 - the roof is pretty awesome. Still retains a bit of the Spyder quirkiness and isn't exactly EASY to use, but it's far more manageable than the 987 (which I have put up exactly twice in 2 years).

9 - no buckets?? a crying shame. 987 all day on that one.

All in all, I was very very impressed. More so than I expected to be. Why this car hasn't caught on more in my neck of the woods (SoCal) is truly beyond me. It's the perfect car for great weather.

Y'all on the list are going to be very happy

I may just end up doing a silver/classic red build someday myself

Let me know if you have questions about anything I've missed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 11-05-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyders - 981 Vs. 987.2?