Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Boxster glove box latch broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 09:33 PM
Scott Allred
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Boxster glove box latch broken

On my 2015 Boxster the glove box latch has broken internally. There is a lever inside that broke off. The chrome handle just pulls down about 90 degrees.

I can find all sorts of advice for how to replace the latch but in all cases you need to get the door open. I cannot figure out how to do that. Any advice? Is there a way to release the catch.

Thanks.

This is the broken piece.
Old 09-08-2024, 06:57 AM
davecramer
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You can buy a new handle from someone making them in china, Check EBAY and you can use
to replace it
I ended up buying a whole new glove box from ebay
Old 09-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Scott Allred
5th Gear

Thanks. I found this too. My issue is that I cannot open the door at all which I need to do for any repair,
Old 09-08-2024, 05:51 PM
Scott Allred
5th Gear

Additional pictures:

This is what it looks like with the handle pulled down, The broken piece was in here. End of lock not engaged at all
Handle points straight down

Old 09-08-2024, 07:45 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

The latches on the glove box are two flat pieces of metal that protrude from each side of the glove box door and engage the dash frame. When the handle is pulled down, that causes a mechanism inside the door to rotate and retract the flat metal pieces into the door so the door can drop open. I suspect that the broken piece you have somehow fits over that retraction mechanism.

If it were me, I'd look at the shape of the broken piece on the opposite side of what you show in the image you posted and see if you can determine how it should engage the retraction mechanism. Then either take a hook-shaped pick or make a small "L" or "J" shaped pick out of coat hanger wire or just make a loop with fine wire and insert it into where the broken piece fits and see if you can snag the piece that retracts the latches. If you can snag it, you can pull it down and the door will fall open.

Next day edit: Another thing you might be able to do is grasp the broken piece with small needle nosed pliers, insert it into the slot on the door and see if you can engage it with the release mechanism.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by TMc993; 09-09-2024 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
The following 2 users liked this post by TMc993:
Kaybat (09-09-2024), PRNDL (09-09-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 08:06 PM
Scott Allred
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TMc993
The latches on the glove box are two flat pieces of metal that protrude from each side of the glove box door and engage the dash frame. When the handle is pulled down, a mechanism inside the handle unit rotates and retracts the flat metal pieces into the door so the door can drop open. I suspect that the broken piece you have somehow fits over that retraction mechanism.

If it were me, I'd look at the shape of the broken piece on the opposite side of what you show in the image you posted and see if you can determine how it should engage the retraction mechanism. Then either take a hook-shaped pick or make a small "L" or "J" shaped pick out of coat hanger wire or just make a loop with fine wire and insert it into where the broken piece fits and see if you can snag the piece that retracts the latches. If you can snag it, you can pull it down and the door will fall open.

Hope this helps...
Thanks. That is helpful. I'll give it a try/

Old 09-09-2024, 05:48 PM
Scott Allred
5th Gear

I was successful in getting the door open with your inspiration. Since I am replacing the latch anyway I snaped the handle off to get easier access. Once gone I could see that there is a lever (just inside the red square) that looks like the drawing. It had been bent up a bit so I straightened it then pressed down on it with the needle nosed pliers I was using. That unlatched the door.

New latch is on the way and I'll use the video you linked to for the replacement.

Thought I'd pass this along.

Old 09-09-2024, 07:23 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Allred
I was successful in getting the door open...
Victory! Glad you got it open...

Quick Reply: 2015 Boxster glove box latch broken