Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   981 Boxster GTS vs Spyder Exhaust Sound? (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1213446-981-boxster-gts-vs-spyder-exhaust-sound.html)

hsattley 09-22-2020 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by patriot993 (Post 16919746)
Good luck with your continued search on the elusive GTS! I think that any exhaust sound difference between a GTS and Spyder can be solved for with aftermarket exhaust. If I recall correctly, your other criteria for car (Sport Chrono, Manual Trans, etc.) are spot on.

Thanks so much David (and hope your Spyder is treating you well)! Yeah, the GTS has pretty much everything I want in terms of options - now I just need to wait for the right one to come up...

Originally Posted by John Ferguson (Post 16919778)
My 981 Boxster GTS 3.4 is louder (due to the sound symposer) and higher pitched (smaller bores) than a 981 Spyder 3.8. My 981 GTS has Fabspeed race headers / protune. It's loud, fast, and I love it. At pcar gatherings even the GT3 fanboys come look underneath to see what's going on. Search my old posts if you want to hear videos.

Will look into your old posts. I would be interested in headers, but as skarkp says, we in CA have to abide by CARB, and most (if not all) aftermarket headers are not CARB-certified.

Originally Posted by skarkp (Post 16920673)
hsattley i also test drove the GTS in Marin and it sounded fabulous, however the color is also a no go for me. They are asking 10k over what the original owner posted in a private sale before trading it in. They also have a beautiful 987.2 S that is asking for an arm and leg for. As far as for tuning, living in CA is unfortunate as we have to abide by CARB standards, so that def rules out lots of header options.

I bet that car sounded good in person! I saw that 987.2 listing as well. Porsche Marin's prices are definitely on the high end even by CA standards, though I have had a good experience with their sales department. Regarding tuning, I would probably just throw on an FVD tune (thanks storii for your review) as well as an X-Pipe, and leave the car at that.

fuhrius 10-06-2020 07:14 PM

I'm also looking to get into a 987.2 Spyder or 981 BGTS. I'd had 986s and 987s cars and lean toward staying in that get except for the 981 GTS. the 981 Spyder is out of range for me price / value at this point. I followed a BGTS up a nice mountain road (Hwy 9 in Saratoga) a few days ago and was really impressed by the sound.

Noting an earlier comment, removing some of the sound deadening around the engine compartment (as I did in my prior Boxsters) made a noticeable improvement. and it's cheap.

skarkp 10-06-2020 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by fuhrius (Post 16949124)
I'm also looking to get into a 987.2 Spyder or 981 BGTS. I'd had 986s and 987s cars and lean toward staying in that get except for the 981 GTS. the 981 Spyder is out of range for me price / value at this point. I followed a BGTS up a nice mountain road (Hwy 9 in Saratoga) a few days ago and was really impressed by the sound.

Noting an earlier comment, removing some of the sound deadening around the engine compartment (as I did in my prior Boxsters) made a noticeable improvement. and it's cheap.

I'm also in the exact same market. Not sure what your budget is, but there is a spyder locally for sale. Although the owner is a bit personality to deal with. With this current situation, the asking price for 981 BGTS have skyrocketed compared to a year ago. I think i will just be patient and wait for the right one.

RGS 10-09-2020 06:38 PM

So, along these same lines, I have a 981 Cayman S no sport chrono. My buddy has a same year Cayman S with sport chrono. His sounds louder than mine. The only appreciable difference is the sport chrono. Anybody else notice that as well since we are talking differences in sound between the 981 models?