968 Forum 1992-1995

Caliper Rebuild all 4 corners

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Caliper Rebuild all 4 corners

Is there a comprehensive rebuild guide on these calipers and a good source for the OEM supplier parts. Easy enough to get on PET and buy the stuff from Porsche but throwing everthing in the cart over at Sonnen was going to rack up $450 for all the stuff that I "think" I need and want. Never rebuilt these before, have tried some others and found the pistons much more difficult to remove than I anticipated.

Lagoons brakes seem to be in real bad shape.

Appreciate any guidance with any of this...
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

crazy money if you need new pistons.

https://www.paragon-products.com/Bre...-kits-late.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...e_Calipers.htm
Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Caliper rebuild

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Is there a comprehensive rebuild guide on these calipers and a good source for the OEM supplier parts. Easy enough to get on PET and buy the stuff from Porsche but throwing everthing in the cart over at Sonnen was going to rack up $450 for all the stuff that I "think" I need and want. Never rebuilt these before, have tried some others and found the pistons much more difficult to remove than I anticipated.

Lagoons brakes seem to be in real bad shape.

Appreciate any guidance with any of this...
Here's a source for aftermarket yet nice seal kits:

https://centricparts.centriccatalog....&uid=ANR&sid=0

And here's a great youtube video for the rebuild process. From my experience when you use the clamps and compressed air to remove one piston at a time you must prevent the piston from recoiling back toward the caliper bore as it can easily damage the caliper bore....so you want to catch the piston with a bunched up rag as a catch basin rather than anything that has more cushion / springiness to it.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

+1 on the centric parts source. More than likely you won't need new pistons, just dust seals and wipers.

Something to consider - the calipers have wastage/oxidation issues under the spring plates. You'll know this when you take a look at the plates - they will be 'swelled' out from the caliper body.

Be sure to use heat to help remove the spring plate mounting screws - they're held in with red type locktite and are a b!tch to remove (may likely strip the head out without heat). I bought new spring plate screws from McMaster-Carr for pennies. Do some looking on eBay for bleed screws and dust caps.

A good cleaning and powdercoating with the reassembly they'll look great no doubt.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I did a write up a while back, might answer some questions.

If you can afford the down time hold off on ordering new pistons, more than likely you won't need them. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...s-updated.html scroll down to post #11.

Last edited by mj951; 06-02-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Thanks Everyone that was ALL good information. Have not compared prices but this website seems to have it all brake related.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/

Im armed and dangerous once again.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Wow ....that's a great website resource...thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Default Rear calipers

Thanks Everyone that was ALL good information. Have not compared prices but this website seems to have it all brake related.

PM sent for these left over parts...complete set for both rear calipers

Centric seal kit for 968 rear calipers
Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Great resource, is where I ordered my parts from.

In case you didn't notice the write up in the link from my previous post, you'll want to scroll down from the top...post #11.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A little inspiration for you John.
Attached Images     
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Jay,

Those calipers look awesome. Thats lots of hard work. Did you bead blast the calipers and then spray or have powder coated?

I think Lagoon is destined for a really good functional rebuild, cant have the calipers looking better than the body!!

I may need to buy two new spring plates as there are two that seem slightly bent out enough to overlap the dust seals. Difficult to get dust seals out and see no way to put new ones in without fixing that problem. Other than that the disassembly and cleaning is under way and looking better than anticipated. Looks like no pistons will be needed.

Anything I get from McMaster comes in a box of 20. They are a really good source other than the Costco bulk purchase of it all. Usually turns out I can buy a box of 20 for about the same as buying one from the Porsche.

There are a lot of expensive parts on these calipers if your not careful. Those springplate kits are $38 each (two per caliper) the rebuild kits are $35 each. As Thomas pointed out if you need pistons then grab your wallet at about $50 each. I need all those dampers as somebody has just tossed them all?? $15-20 per caliper.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

As noted in prior threads, corrosion under the plates will inhibit the pads ability to retract properly.

I would research what type of 'micro-encapsulation' is used on the OEM plate screws. I would assume it is stronger than red loctite.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

John, are you experiencing any specific symptoms that tell you your calipers need to be rebuilt? Or are you just doing the job as part of maintenance? Thx
Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John - I had my calipers bead blasted then powder coated afterward.

I think you can recover the spring plates. They're SS, so they'll clean up easily (I used a combination of acetone and steel wool to give 'em a good scrubbing to remove the rough stuff then I used Neverdull to finish em to a nice polish). If they appear to be swelled out, I'd put the plate on a 2x4 and cover the other side with a paint stir stick and whack the crap out of it with a dead blow - repeat as needed.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:51 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
As noted in prior threads, corrosion under the plates will inhibit the pads ability to retract properly.

I would research what type of 'micro-encapsulation' is used on the OEM plate screws. I would assume it is stronger than red loctite.
Thomas, I dont know what type of thread locker is used but it appears like a dab of blue stuff that comes on the screw from Porsche. Saw picture. Looks identical to the blue stuff on the bolt that holds the knock sensors.

Originally Posted by jeff968
John, are you experiencing any specific symptoms that tell you your calipers need to be rebuilt? Or are you just doing the job as part of maintenance? Thx
Jeff, the calipers had been removed and were hanging by wire because the rotors were so swelled with rust the car would not roll. I figured it was needed before I put any money and effort into rotors and pads. Not too expensive or difficult if you dont need pistons.

Quick Reply: Caliper Rebuild all 4 corners