968 Forum 1992-1995

M030++ Project log

Old 05-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default M030++ Project log

Background for my project:
So having been gone from the P car scene for about 10 years, I got the bug again and bought a 92 Polar Silver 968 about 18 months ago from a buddy of Raj Datta. The engine had been Raj restored to a high level as usual for Raj, including a fresh valve job, new seals, new HD timing chain, chain guides, timing belt and bearings and injector cleaning and matching. Raj also installed rebuilt M030 front struts and adjustable Koni's in the rear. Past records included a new clutch at 80K and an early pinion bearing correction at about 20K. As received the car ran very strong and was lowered (even a little too much in the rear for my taste and experience). Having driven the car about 10K miles since I bought it, I had enough seat time to contemplate my motivations for the purchase and my future ownership plans for the car. Since this was my third Porsche in the last 25 years I had already discovered that my main goal was to pick up my car hobby and enjoy wrenching again. Having sold a very nice 86 944 Turbo to buy a modern 996 C4Cab....also Polar Silver, I learned the hard way that the pleasure of driving these great cars didn't fulfill my real interest in cars ...which is working on them.

Four early Projects proceeded this one:

Having jumped at the Polar Silver car rather quickly, I missed the M220 option and installed a rebuilt transaxle that Raj had stored.. which had a nice Quaife LSD installed....like I had added to my 86 944T and really enjoyed. Also discovered that it had a nearly failed CV joint on the muffler side of the transaxle so rebuilt both axles with all new parts and boots to be safe. Found someone selling a complete OEM cat back exhaust system that had been sitting since 10K miles new. Added that and a new low restriction aftermarket catalytic converter. Finally qualified as a frequent buyer from Raj by buying a nice set of MY2002 lightweight wheels which really compliment the Polar Silver per my moniker pic. Here's some pics:

Qualife LSD

10K old muffler with new Cat

10K Miles muffler

Rebuilt axles and installed transaxle

Finally the M030++ Project:

So I've been collecting parts that would create my M030 Clone and more...
Found and restored used M030 Spindles and medium black front calipers. Spent the last three weeks refinishing all four calipers in a tedious but rewarding DIY project...three coats each of VHT primer , color and clear over high temperature Porsche lablels....lots of wet sanding along the way and careful cleaning to avoid fish eyes....not perfect but good enough for my taste:

4 calipers finally refinished

Since I've destroyed my Concours scores already, I sanded off the 4 ribs and cast logo on the stock rear 968 calipers in favor of an updated look.

I planning maybe 2 DE events per year and 5 to 6K street miles so I've chosen to include some upgrades to make the car more track worthy on the DE days also:

Haven't started assembly yet but now have all of my parts ready to go for M030++

Refinished spindles and nice Racers Edge billet hubs....wheels studs ordered..

HighStrung control arms with replaceable ball joint.

Still saving my nickels for OEM Porsche M030 rotors front and rear ...but for now these will have to do...maybe my future DE only parts?

Found a lightly used front M030 sway bar and had to buy a new rear M030 bar.

So now the fun part....assembly starts tomorrow...I'm retired btw...sorry for the monster post but wanted to engage some with the 968 community
Old 05-29-2017, 06:38 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

"I learned the hard way that the pleasure of driving these great cars didn't fulfill my real interest in cars ...which is working on them."

This.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
"I learned the hard way that the pleasure of driving these great cars didn't fulfill my real interest in cars ...which is working on them."

This.
Yep...
Old 05-29-2017, 09:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post. It's been a pleasure watching you transform this car. Your attention to details is exemplary. Wishing you the best. Keep those pics and updates coming.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Default M030++

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Great post. It's been a pleasure watching you transform this car. Your attention to details is exemplary. Wishing you the best. Keep those pics and updates coming.
Thanks Raj....you saved this car as you have done with so many before it....I'll just keep tinkering until it is a very special example of a 968. Not in a collector way but in a very capable Porsche kinda way. If I can find the money way down the road, I'll probably add some shade of red details to the interior as I did with my 944T and then lastly a very nice repaint.

Red and black leather seats in my 86 944T...sure wish I would have kept these when I sold the car!

I have wondered along the way if I should have waited for a garage queen but then I wouldn't have had the opportunity for these projects that I enjoy so much?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdale944
Thanks Raj....you saved this car as you have done with so many before it....I'll just keep tinkering until it is a very special example of a 968. Not in a collector way but in a very capable Porsche kinda way. If I can find the money way down the road, I'll probably add some shade of red details to the interior as I did with my 944T and then lastly a very nice repaint.

Red and black leather seats in my 86 944T...sure wish I would have kept these when I sold the car!

I have wondered along the way if I should have waited for a garage queen but then I wouldn't have had the opportunity for these projects that I enjoy so much?
I bought a garage queen (somewhat) and I have just as much work, mechanically. Age takes its toll.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Default Garage queens

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I bought a garage queen (somewhat) and I have just as much work, mechanically. Age takes its toll.
So in hindsight, as so many have said it pays to wait for the right car.....the body on my car looks good from 10 feet but has so many little dings and heat damaged paint on the hood, that I'm facing a repaint someday....and I've got a crack developing in the dash....and both are costly projects.....but I sure did want a Polar Silver car
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Those calipers look great, you may have inspired me to try painting mine. The fronts are already red, but the rears are black and it drives me crazy.

Nice work on the car as a whole, will be interesting to see the car progress over time.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Originally Posted by ian
Those calipers look great, you may have inspired me to try painting mine. The fronts are already red, but the rears are black and it drives me crazy.

Nice work on the car as a whole, will be interesting to see the car progress over time.
Thanks Ian...since you are so close....I still have enough paint and sand paper left over and even a dedicated toaster oven that I used on the back porch to heat cure each color at multiple temps.....screaming deal if you are interested I did pay to get them grit blasted before I started ....all four was $60.

I did some research and it would be much faster to have them powder coated but according to the shop in Mooresville the powder coat would be limited to 400 degrees whereas the VHT claims 900 degrees. If the car never sees an aggressive DE, the powder coat would be fine for the street. They wanted only $60 / caliper to glass bead blast and powder coat each caliper....but he wants them fully disassembled ....halves broken and pistons out.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

So installed the rear calipers and the M030 rear sway bar today including adjustable drop links and tweaked the rear ride height. Liking the looks of the red calipers against the Polar Silver car:

A little too cautious to keep the brake fluid off of my new paint job....discarded this idea after I was sure I could control any drips.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

So treated my 968 to a complete new clutch kit and DM flywheel .....all Porsche OEM parts. The Sachs kit that was installed only 35K miles ago worked great but had the Blue Painted pressure plate. Along the way Raj Datta explained that the correct Porsche pressure plate would make a huge difference in pedal pressure. So I was expecting maybe a 30% reduction and was stunned that the difference must be approaching 300% reduction. Very glad I spent the big bucks and did this one right.

All new Porsche OEM clutch parts transformed the clutch pedal pressure.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Do you do the work yourself?
Isn't there a pressure plate that was for the 964 that is used incorrectly on our cars and cracks the firewall?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:37 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Default Clutch

The best article I've seen written on this pressure plate topic is linked below and provided the vision (and correct part numbers) for my project.......short story is that Sachs created a kit using a 964 pressure plate that is dimensionally compatible with our 968's but with 800 lbs greater clamping force which I guess can crack the firewall given enough time.

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

I do my most of my work myself, however my QuickJack didn't give me enough vertical working space....so I paid my local Porsche race shop to install my clutch parts.There is also a great thread here on Rennlist for the DIY steps involved.

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Do you do the work yourself?
Isn't there a pressure plate that was for the 964 that is used incorrectly on our cars and cracks the firewall?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdale944
I do my most of my work myself, however my QuickJack didn't give me enough vertical working space....so I paid my local Porsche race shop to install my clutch parts.
That's worth repeating and thank you for pointing it out.
Helps those considering the Quick Jack's vs a two post or other type of lift.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:04 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Default Quick Jack

Yes... my new home garage only has 8 ft ceilings so a real commercial lift wan't an option. I have changed alternator, axles , brakes, exhaust system and getting ready for suspension work and the QuickJack will work for these. Replacing the RMS on the 968 is not so easy so one needs plenty of elbow and tool room to get that done.

Originally Posted by mj951
That's worth repeating and thank you for pointing it out.
Helps those considering the Quick Jack's vs a two post or other type of lift.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M030++ Project log