968 Forum 1992-1995

Transmission Advice

Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM
revolve40
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Transmission Advice

Hi all!

I recently joined the 968 family and couldn't be happier with the car. However, I suspect I am beginning to have symptoms of the pinion bearing issue (104k miles) and have a few options to consider.

I've found a 6-speed locally with an LSD that I'd really like to purchase, but I'm not sure of it's condition. The seller said he'd refund my money if I install and there's something off about it. The other (and perhaps better) option is to have Kevin rebuild mine (open diff) for about the same price and never worry about it again.

What would you do?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

1st off, you need to be 100% certain that it is a pinion bearing issue. LSD is a nice option to have especially if you plan to do any spirited driving.
You have little to lose (2-3hrs of labor) for trying out the new transmission with an LSD. I would start by getting expert advise on it actually being a pinion bearing issue.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

Raj is right. First, the pinion issue usually showed up in the first 30-50K miles. At 104k, my guess is worn hubs. Research the noise the pinion bearing issue creates and make sure yours is, in fact, pinion related. The pinion issue shows some pretty unique noises.

If you go the trans route, trans remove and replace is one of the easier jobs on these cars. Get a shop manual to make sure you use the correct sequence and it is a piece of cake.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 PM
revolve40
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Great advice--thanks for the replies.

Though my searches, I found some good descriptions of the pinion bearing issue, but the sound files are no longer linked. It sort of sounds they way others describe, though I'm not completely sure now. I'll keep digging.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:26 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

[QUOTE=revolve40;14167136]Hi all!

I recently joined the 968 family and couldn't be happier with the car. However, I suspect I am beginning to have symptoms of the pinion bearing issue (104k miles) and have a few options to consider.

I've found a 6-speed locally with an LSD that I'd really like to purchase, but I'm not sure of it's condition. The seller said he'd refund my money if I install and there's something off about it. The other (and perhaps better) option is to have Kevin rebuild mine (open diff) for about the same price and never worry about it again.

What would you do?

[/QUOTE

Talk to Kevin about shipping yours to him to get a repair estimate...you may be in for $150 shipping and then Kevin can give you the complete lowdown.

Dimi (924/944/968 parts guy on Pelican etc.) has a freshly rebuilt LSD unit for one of these transmissions for sale and Kevin can put that in while he puts your trans back together. Best of both worlds for the cost of the LSD unit. Think he was asking about $1000

John
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Buy the LSD tranny and have Kevin refresh it.

or buy an LSD unit and have Kevin rebuild your tranmission

and install the LSD.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I was recently able to get a local porsche Indy shop service my transmission on red coupe for a lot less than some of the numbers I have seen thrown. Don't automatically assume there is only one option. Shop around.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
I was recently able to get a local porsche Indy shop service my transmission on red coupe for a lot less than some of the numbers I have seen thrown. Don't automatically assume there is only one option. Shop around.
What did you have done?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
What did you have done?
Pinion bearing issue fixed.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Boeing 717

Pinion bearing issue fixed.
Can you just have synchros replaced without rebuilding the entire trans?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Can you just have synchros replaced without rebuilding the entire trans?
I guess that depends. When I swap the head gasket and the bores look good, do I do a complete engine rebuild?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Boeing 717

I guess that depends. When I swap the head gasket and the bores look good, do I do a complete engine rebuild?
I don't know do you?
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I don't know do you?
I leave it up to the experts. The person that built mine is very well respected Indy shop and he performed the job for what was needed and not everything else that typically some like to throw in to make extra $$. Very happy with the results.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Boeing 717

Anyone else here that has had synchros replaced without having the entire transmission rebuilt?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:05 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

You can certainly replace the synchros without rebuilding the entire transmission. However, replacing the synchros involves most but not all of the labor in a complete rebuild: think 8 to 10 hours for the synchros, with another two or three hours to replace the bearings, plus of course the significant cost of the bearings.

These cars are all 22 to 25 years old, and their transmissions unless previously serviced are worn, both from use and from the effects of age on parts, such as moisture in the transmission fluid. The 968 pinion bearing issue cropped up early, and if you're having issues now, dollars to donuts it's age and not the incorrect set-up of the pinion shaft. The synchros are worn, and the bearings are pitted and junk.

So your decision as to a complete rebuild versus doing most of a rebuild (synchros only) should be influenced by your commitment and long term plans for the car. If you're likely to sell it in a few years, sure, pop in a good used transmission or do the minimal work needed to keep it on the road. If on the other hand you see yourself enjoying your 968 for many years to come, think of a complete rebuild as a wise investment and avoiding penny wise, pound foolish.

Raj is right, there are a lot of places cheaper than me. You get what you pay for, though, and I guarantee those less expensive places don't have / don't use the special tools, aren't servicing the bearings and setting them up properly, aren't using the many sized circlips and shims, aren't replacing all the bearings, etc. They're charging you more per hour than I do, for example, even if the RO says otherwise. It's amazing how many techs bill 80 hours of work a week while working 40 to 50, but that's how too many dealerships and indys operate. My focus is on racers who need a transmission that won't fly apart on a track 800 miles from home and ruin their weekend, and owners who want to enjoy their car running right for years to come. I have no interest in a race to the bottom. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Advice