968 Forum 1992-1995

seat bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM
ed
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat bolts

Having trouble reinstalling my 968 cab seats. Find it hard to get the bolts seated on the inboard side rear. There they screw into a floating plate with threaded holes that lies within a captive 1/2" deep blind space. The floating plate allows flexibility. However, it also make it a bear to line the bolts and threaded plate's holes perfectly. They either don't catch or, after one or two turns, they bind just like they're cross threaded - probably are. Has anyone experienced this and got a solution? Ed Russell edrussel@aol.com
Old 04-12-2017, 06:23 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Same seat attachement set up as the 964 (and likely others of the same period too). I've removed seats in/out a number of times and it is very fiddly and frustrating with these blind floating plates/blocks - as if we haven't got enough elbow room already..!

The cheat approach would be to pull the threaded block out enough were it can be help by hand/grips while then bolting up using only the first, hole. Not something I'm comfortable with. The way that works for me is to line up (without the seat in) the thread block with the mount holes and tightly wedge in the gap a large screwdriver that forces the block up against the mount holes. Use the correct hex key bolts that came with the seat (grade 8.8 or higher).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: seat bolts