968 Forum 1992-1995

2017 968 West Coast Gathering

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 2017 968 West Coast Gathering

Ok, been kicking around some ideas for next year with the participants that made the S. Lake Tahoe gathering last year. Narrowing in on the Mendocino, CA area, it's on the N. CA coast on US 1. Not too far off of Highway 101.

Lots of nice scenery in the area and plenty to keep everyone occupied. Some great driving roads. Wineries and breweries and other goodies. I've found a hotel (Mendocino Hotel) that will discount rates down to $150/night and there are plenty of higher priced hotels/inns and just up the road in Ft. Bragg are some lower priced lodging so I think we can suit all pocketbooks and tastes. I'm still checking out some other properties in the area but this place looks pretty good. I've been to Mendocino a number of times and I think everyone will enjoy the area.

I think it’s close enough to Portland that people could get down pretty easy from there (11.5 hrs), esp if traveling in a group, 16 hrs from Vancouver, from S. CA (9 hrs from LA). Certainly easy for the Bay Area (3 hrs), 4 hrs from Sacramento area and 6 hrs from Reno area. It’s a long two days from AZ (14.5 hrs) but you all are worth that much seat time for me.

So for dates. June 18 is Father’s Day. So I’m thinking the following weekend – June 23-25. It avoids the 4th of July crowds. I know that's pretty far out but that gives you time to work on your calendars. I'm sure this date won't work for everyone, but let me know if you would be interested in participating.

Working on final details and will post shortly.

For those of you that missed last years gathering, here's what you missed.
Attached Images
Old 11-03-2016, 10:24 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche Parade is in Spokane, WA in July 2017. Could integrate something along with that. Sadly my 968 won't be up and running in 2017.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:00 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Parade is July 9 - 15. The week before is 4th of July. I didn't see a way to link the two events without a week gap, so didn't seem likely people go be in that area that long.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:32 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to post the conversation to date?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:50 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

There's been lots of conversations held to get to this point so a lot to post. I'll summarize some of them:
------------------------

http://www.visitmendocino.com/

There are some really nice drives in the area through the redwoods and some good wineries, breweries, etc. Not too far off Highway 101 for north and south travel. Funky town I’ve spent quite a bit of time in.

http://www.mendocinohotel.com/index.php

$150 rooms (Garden Suites).

------

It is touristy, but that adds a little fun for those that have never been in that neck of the woods. And very scenic, nice river to canoe or kayak nearby, and some beaches if you like cold water.
----------------------

I thought about the Skunk Train and that could be a fun outing. Never had a chance to do that but my daughter and family have done it a few times. The Glass Beach is worth a stop also. Same with a walk through Montgomery Woods. Booneville is home to Anderson Valley Brewing and some good wineries (Husch and others).
------------------------

Maybe I'm too ambitious because it's 100 miles bodega to mendo
But we drove a lot more than that on this year trip and it was fun. This 100 miles is a killer drive 100 % of the time.
Stops galore.

---------------------

From last year participants:
I'm down for it

I’m good with that.

I went there with a group of Harleys. I agree it is a great place to ride/drive/stay.

We're OK with Mendocino!! Actually, more than OK - - it's really close to San Francisco. Lots of possibilities to do stuff in the area.

Mendocino area seems a wonderful choice. Plenty of fun roads, plenty of fun places, plenty of hotels and plenty of fresh air.
We am in!!!

-------------
Old 11-05-2016, 08:58 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Thanx! Don't know if the logistics work but great oyster stops in Bodega Bay. Scenic and good stops on the hwy from Bodega to Mendo. In Occidental there are two family style Italian restaurants with BIG reps. Negri's and The Occidental Hotel. River's End is a super restaurant stop on the hwy south of Mendo.
There are more accommodations in the Bodega Area but your driving plan may not allow for that. This years driving plan was pure genius so you've set a high bar. Plenty of crazy backroads from Mendo to Bodega and Occidental including Guerneville. Not much north of Mendo. In any case, I'm in. If yellow car sells I will be in the Pasha Art Car.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Good suggestions! What made the Tahoe drives so enjoyable was the local knowledge people provided. More ideas are better than too few. Anyone familiar with that area is more than welcome to make suggestions to help make a better experience.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
Ok, been kicking around some ideas for next year with the participants that made the S. Lake Tahoe gathering last year. Narrowing in on the Mendocino, CA area, it's on the N. CA coast on US 1. Not too far off of Highway 101.

Lots of nice scenery in the area and plenty to keep everyone occupied. Some great driving roads. Wineries and breweries and other goodies. I've found a hotel (Mendocino Hotel) that will discount rates down to $150/night and there are plenty of higher priced hotels/inns and just up the road in Ft. Bragg are some lower priced lodging so I think we can suit all pocketbooks and tastes. I'm still checking out some other properties in the area but this place looks pretty good. I've been to Mendocino a number of times and I think everyone will enjoy the area.

I think it’s close enough to Portland that people could get down pretty easy from there (11.5 hrs), esp if traveling in a group, 16 hrs from Vancouver, from S. CA (9 hrs from LA). Certainly easy for the Bay Area (3 hrs), 4 hrs from Sacramento area and 6 hrs from Reno area. It’s a long two days from AZ (14.5 hrs) but you all are worth that much seat time for me.

So for dates. June 18 is Father’s Day. So I’m thinking the following weekend – June 23-25. It avoids the 4th of July crowds. I know that's pretty far out but that gives you time to work on your calendars. I'm sure this date won't work for everyone, but let me know if you would be interested in participating.

Working on final details and will post shortly.

For those of you that missed last years gathering, here's what you missed.

Looks like you had fun! I would be interested to know where you stayed in Lone Pine, we drive through there all the time on our way to and from Mammoth Lakes.

As for 2017, the 23-25 is the ONLY bad weekend for me; family engagement elsewhere. Otherwise, I would be up for the scenic drive from Southern California! We went to Mendocino many years ago, and it is a great little area.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:44 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Hi, Daniel. Sorry for the conflict that is in the way of your coming. Maybe 2018 will work out better.

Lone Pine hotel - Best Western Plus Frontier Motel - it was fine, close to restaurants, clean, affordable.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So it's time to start serious planning for the West Coast Gathering 2017.

The hotel in Mendocino has changed, it's now going to be at the Hill House Inn. http://hillhouseinn.com/

It's owned by the same company as the Mendocino Hotel but it will be nicer and less expensive, better parking, etc. For those of you old enough to remember the old TV series "Murder She Wrote" with Angela Lansbury, this is the "Cabot Cove Lodge". Yep, Hollywood filmed a series supposedly based in Maine in N. CA, the shock of it all! More fake news!

The hotel will make the lounge area available to us separately where we can bring in our own wine, etc and visit into the evenings. There are many other places in the area at higher and lower rates for those who want to have more and those that want to spend less. I've stayed here before and enjoyed it.

Anyway, let's talk about the dates. Originally scheduled for June 23-25 (Friday-Sunday) with a room rate of $139/night. Several people commented that the Porsche Club Parade was going to be in Spokane WA (it's the week of July 9 - 15) and maybe more people would attend the gathering if it was tied into that week so only one trip north would be involved. The hotel does have space July 14-16 (that would be Friday-Sunday) at a rate of $149/night.

My personal preference would be the June dates as the area is less crowded, the roads would have less traffic. But, I'd like to hear from people that would attend the gathering only if it were the same time as Parade.

So, who would only attend if it were the end of Parade week vs who would rather attend in June? Post responses soon so I can lock down the dates.

We have a couple of group dinners planned, a drive down PCH (Highway1) to Bodega Bay with spectacular scenery, a great twisty mountain drive with a winery stop (or two, maybe a brewery stop ), and plenty of time to socialize.

Let's get this set up soon!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I would do either but my preference would be the June date.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:12 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

The dates of June 23-25 have been set up at the Hill House Inn for the gathering. Please make your reservations soon, 707-937-0555 and ask for the 968 Porsche rate of $139/night. There are other places in the area and higher and lower rates if you prefer.

I'm checking on the Friday the 23rd and out on Monday the 26th.

PM me if you are coming as I'm setting up an email list of attendees.

We're still fine-tuning the drive routes but rest assured they with be fun and scenic, esp with other 968's along! And some time for great wine tasting!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:25 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Your query about ARTCAR woke me up. What is the latest on this? Maybe I can manage to bring it to this event.
Is there a participant list yet?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:34 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

The gathering is only a few weeks out. There are still a few rooms left at the hotel but not many. So if youve been not watching your calendar closely, hurry up and register! We have a great weekend planned - scenic drives, great wine tour, great experiences with fellow 968 owners. Bill, you must bring the ARTCAR! I haven't seen it yet in person! It will fit in perfectly in Mendocino!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I'm registered.

Quick Reply: 2017 968 West Coast Gathering