Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

In for a Penny, In for a Pound

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts
Question Have you checked your fuel level sender?

Well have you?

Not sure if this applies across the board, but here's an observation. Some times the leg bone is connected to the neck bone.

Case in point, Passenger door is nearly stripped down, save for the door wiring harness. The connectors have to feed from the passenger side footwell where they plug in, through a small hole near the door opening. Only problem is that there is a wiring harness already in the same opening, limiting the free opening even further still. Ok...remove the offending wiring harness...it traces back to the trunk area where two wires go to each wheel well to serve what appears to be the ABS wiring. Those connectors are sandwiched between the forward edge of the gas tank and what makes up the rear seat backrest area...so the fuel tank has to come out first, then the aft wiring harness, then the door wiring harness, then the door can finally be removed.

Of course, when I got Wilma, there was no instrument cluster, so no telling how much fuel might be left in the tank...pick up 2 5 gallon tanks and that turned out to be just about right. I figure about 8 gallons of vintage '12 unleaded was left to be drained.

FWIW - removing the roll up windows is a challenge without potentially damaging the runners that are attached tot he aft end of the window that ride up/down in the rear window track. PO who was disassembling Wilma didn't take to heart the tried and true method of look hard and tug gently.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna get a cushy lounge chair, a beer n pizza delivery service and come watch you. Any thing else I should bring besides my blankie?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FLT951
I'm gonna get a cushy lounge chair, a beer n pizza delivery service and come watch you. Any thing else I should bring besides my blankie?
Beer & Pizza ought to do it... I've got plenty of wrenches, sockets, hammers, etc etc etc.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I'm good with a hammer, not so much with the others. Where would you like me to start?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Anyone ever wire a bypass switch...

Anyone ever install a bypass switch for this? It's a common mod made by those in the 928 crowd.

Finally got the passenger door off this week and nearly gave myself a hernia removing the anti-vibration ballast in the passenger side trunk well. That thing must be nothing short of 50+ pounds tucked down inside and under the edge of the trunk opening.
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2017, 02:13 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Jay,

When I drained the tank on jungle rot she had almost 10 gallons of orange stinky 23 year old fuel. PITA Scrap metal place would not take car without draining the tank. Two five gallon buckets with some orange homer HD lids sealed up that haz mat in my side yard. Not sure that crap would even burn if I put a torch on it. I saw that big mass in the rear passenger fenderwell/trunk area and thought it was some sort of impact protection for the gas tank??
Old 02-11-2017, 03:42 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Anyone ever install a bypass switch for this? It's a common mod made by those in the 928 crowd.

Finally got the passenger door off this week and nearly gave myself a hernia removing the anti-vibration ballast in the passenger side trunk well. That thing must be nothing short of 50+ pounds tucked down inside and under the edge of the trunk opening.
What is that switch for?

Interesting on the weight, I forgot about that, the 944S2 Cab I had, had that also.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I have had a dozen of those weird engineering genius or logic defying plugs in S2's and 968's and maybe even the original 83 944. Plenty of interesting guesswork explanations why it is there. Anybody know the real reason?
If it was ballast why not add a page to the Owner's Manual asking people to put their bag of parking $25 in that hole?
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by touareg
What is that switch for?
It's the kickdown switch for the tiptronic. A popular mod in the 928 crowd (where a majority of those cars are Automatics) is to install a bypass switch. It offers a 'sportier' performance in the 928 4 speed automatics.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Jay,

When I drained the tank on jungle rot she had almost 10 gallons of orange stinky 23 year old fuel. PITA Scrap metal place would not take car without draining the tank. Two five gallon buckets with some orange homer HD lids sealed up that haz mat in my side yard. Not sure that crap would even burn if I put a torch on it. I saw that big mass in the rear passenger fenderwell/trunk area and thought it was some sort of impact protection for the gas tank??

Wow John. The gas here doesn't appear to be contaminated - still, it's probably better for the lawnmower/weedeater/blower.

The counterweight is for the Cabs - not sure how Porsche determined it's weight. Placement must be based on the assumption that the car would likely have only a driver. Supposed to minimize cowl shaking/car vibration...YMMV
Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default The things you find...

Buried under the Passenger Seat, connected to the electrical harness for the Tiptronic you'll discover one of these - a Lateral Accelerator Sensor. Not completely certain, but I'd venture a guess it has something to do with shutting down any demand signal to the Tiptronic in the event of unstable moment (rollover perhaps?). Quite pricey new from the Stealerships.
Attached Images   
Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it's for the torque vectoring system.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I think it's for the torque vectoring system.

Today was supposed to be Passenger Compartment Wiring Harness Removal day. Somehow I managed to get distracted by removing the last of the gas tank fill components (which notably requires the removal of the passenger side trim piece to easily access the gas filler neck gasket mounting screws and flange).

Photo for effect....this week I'm in hopes of doing the wiring harness victory dance.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
touareg
Drifting

It's the kickdown switch for the tiptronic. A popular mod in the 928 crowd (where a majority of those cars are Automatics) is to install a bypass switch. It offers a 'sportier' performance in the 928 4 speed automatics.
In that case, are you looking to leave it on all the time? Not sure how having that switch on with the pedal not depressed in WOT would work?

Maybe take a switch for the center console?

Grab an extra rear wiper switch and stencil SPORT on it ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-968-...3D291911348374
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM
touareg
Drifting

Today was supposed to be Passenger Compartment Wiring Harness Removal day. Somehow I managed to get distracted by removing the last of the gas tank fill components (which notably requires the removal of the passenger side trim piece to easily access the gas filler neck gasket mounting screws and flange).

Photo for effect....this week I'm in hopes of doing the wiring harness victory dance.
Wow, I must admit that is thoroughly disgusting in there, but fun I am sure none the less!

Seems all the glue is gone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In for a Penny, In for a Pound