Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

997 seats question..

Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 997 seats question..

I am considering changing my seats to some 997 sport seats like the one in the photo. It looks like the forward/backwards adjusting as well as height adjustment are done manually, and its only the rake adjustment that's powered. So my question is, does the rake adjustment motor just need power to work or is it more complicated then that.?

Basically, how much is involved in making those seats work in a 968.?
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

You'll need to start with something like the adapters found here.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...ats-to-993-964

Wiring is another story.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks for the link Jay, that looks like a neat solution to the rails.. Now I just need to figure out how to get power to the rake adjustment motor..

Alex.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Had this site book marked for reference...may offer some ideas.

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t28...s-in-an-83-944
Old 07-02-2016, 09:34 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
I am considering changing my seats to some 997 sport seats like the one in the photo. It looks like the forward/backwards adjusting as well as height adjustment are done manually, and its only the rake adjustment that's powered. So my question is, does the rake adjustment motor just need power to work or is it more complicated then that.?

Basically, how much is involved in making those seats work in a 968.?
Have not looked at newer cars, but unless they did something more complicated, like made the switches digital that go back to a body controller in the car, then send a signal to a relay to move the seat forward to power the motor, it is probably what has been there for ever. Simple analog circuit with relay powered by 12v

Just a switch that makes contact for the motor to rotate one way the other. I would compare amps to amps original vs this one and maybe even fuse it. You can always do your own relay, fuse and hook to the existing power for the seats via the relay and modify the switch connector to drive that relay, simple wiring relay.

Not the same but I have just run fused power to 944 Turbo seats when installed in VW way back when.

Also no airbags or crash headrests in these right?
Old 07-03-2016, 02:28 AM
geno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the non sport version of these seats in my 951.

In my case....
My new seats are electric rake, manual everything else.

The seats needed 2 brackets grinded to mount flush to the floor. This results in the loss of the large spring assisted forward/backward slide assist. Still works, just no spring assistance/resistance when you slide forward. 10 minutes.

Drill mount holes for the floor. 30 minutes.

My car had (+)/(-) wire plug for stock seats. Used 2 pin weatherpack to connect 951 seat wires to new seat motor wires. 20 minutes.

Good afternoon or weekend job.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:13 AM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Too Tall

If you use the back seats beware. The 997 front seats are too tall and will hit the windshield if tilted forward and shifted forward. I believe a 993 owner actually broke a windshield (the springs that help the seat move forward on the rails is strong).

Another consideration is seat height. If you have a long torso, you may not like the seat bottom cushion height.

I had a pair of perfect manual sport seats that I reluctantly sold after a trial fit.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks for your very helpful replies.. It definitely seems doable so I'll start looking for a set of 997 sport seats.

I would like to get a set of 944/968/993 sport seats with the big side bolsters as I find them very comfortable and snug, but they always seem to sell for silly money so my next favorites are the 997 sport seats.

They should be equally comfortable and usually quite a bit cheaper, at least here in Europe.

Best regards - Alex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 seats question..