968 Forum 1992-1995

Lateral play in shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lateral play in shift lever

I know this is most likely caused by a worn or broken shift lever bushing, but just so I don't overlook something, here are the symptoms: The shift level used to bounce back smartly when I moved it side-to-side against the stops at either end of the 3|4 gate, while in neutral. Also, there was some resistance, as if by a spring, against moving the lever side to side from its natural center position when in neutral. Now, the resistance is pretty much gone, and I can easily move the lever side-to-side, and when I come to either of the stops, it barely moves back toward the center, and doesn't even make it all the way back to the center. Also, it seems like I can move the shifter side-to-side more that before when in any gear. These symptoms came on pretty suddenly, as opposed to gradually. It still shifts fine, but is just more vague than before due to the loss of the centering action of the shifter.

After 24 years, I probably need a new bushing anyway, but is there anything else I should check for, or just go ahead and replace? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Might be a good time to add a short shift kit while in there.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Already have one
Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Hmmm... Just got off the phone with Jason from Paragon Products, and he told me my symptoms aren't typical of what he's run across before. The disappearance of the lever's centering action is what's puzzling, because it's hard to see how a worn bushing alone could cause this. I'll take it apart this weekend, and see what other parts might be worn/broken/missing.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Double-hmmm... Neither the shift lever bushing nor the connection between the shift leaver and the shift rod really have a whole lot of play. It looks like the problem is coming from farther back, but I can't see anything in the diagram (No. 701-00 in the PET) that appears to provide a means fto help the lever to return to its center position. I wouldn't describe the feel of the linkage as "sloppy", which could be explained by something being worn out. It's the absence of the lever's centering action that's changed. The centering action was very helpful in distinguishing between 1st and 3rd gear in the heat of a track session, so it will definitely be missed until I can track this down.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would check the bolt that connects the shift rod linkage to the transmission. Also check the concave shaped bolt that holds the transmission linkage to the input shaft. Make sure neither has pulled out. Always a good idea to locktite these, especially if using a SSK.

Raj
Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Raj,

Thanks for the response, but just so I'm clear on which bolts you're referring to, would you mind letting me know which numbers they are in daigram 701-00 (or a different one if these bolts are on a different illustration) in the PET? No rush. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Raj,

Thanks for the response, but just so I'm clear on which bolts you're referring to, would you mind letting me know which numbers they are in daigram 701-00 (or a different one if these bolts are on a different illustration) in the PET? No rush. Thanks.

Especially check #28. This is known to come out or loosen up. It should use locktite. Also check #22.

I am assuming you checked to make sure #18, 19 and 20 are all intact?

Same for #12. Please check.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:17 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Hey guys,,, been gone awhile but starting back. The centering action and strength of the " springing" is in the transmission. There are two locations that have springs in them. Most likely worn or broke. I've seen both. I had a thread out there on a transmission repair from a broken dowel pin in the tranny that would show you what I'm talking about. I'll try to find it..

Cheers, mike
Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

I got seriously sidetracked from this - work, mostly - but got under the car tonight, and found that bolt #22 was a couple of turns away from falling out completely! So I applied some locktite, tightened it back up, and voila! - the self-centering action is back! Thanks very much, Raj - you nailed it. I did check all the other bolts and bushings you metioned, and they are all tight. A few people (including notthd above) said it was likely to be an internal problem - I'm very thankful that doesn't appear to be the case. It wouldn't hurt to replace bushings #12 and 19 to tighten things up further, but it doesn't appear to be urgent.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Love cheap fixes.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

You and me both. To tell you the truth, I was a little skeptical it was a loose bolt or worn bushing, because it wasn't so much a "loose" or "sloppy" feel, as it was the loss of the self-centering effect. The bolt must have been coming loose for a long time - the shifter feels great now.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
You and me both. To tell you the truth, I was a little skeptical it was a loose bolt or worn bushing, because it wasn't so much a "loose" or "sloppy" feel, as it was the loss of the self-centering effect. The bolt must have been coming loose for a long time - the shifter feels great now.
When you think about it, it does make sense that the transmissions spring mechanism could not work because it wasn't completely connected. I know hindsight is always 20/20. Always good to start with simple stuff, lol.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. The next steps may not have been able to do with the tranny in the car but easy to replace. Happy for you

On a side note- Wow I have been gone awhile - not to hijack but Raj... WTF is that blue thing? what happened to the white car. Did you forget to sell it to me...? Beautiful looking car shoot me a line or post so I can read up on it.

Cheers, Mike
Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by notthd
Glad to hear it was an easy fix. The next steps may not have been able to do with the tranny in the car but easy to replace. Happy for you

On a side note- Wow I have been gone awhile - not to hijack but Raj... WTF is that blue thing? what happened to the white car. Did you forget to sell it to me...? Beautiful looking car shoot me a line or post so I can read up on it.

Cheers, Mike
Will contact you soon. Worry not, still have my turbo. Going thru a full resto.

Quick Reply: Lateral play in shift lever