Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 AM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

Project car:
"Runs and drives. Needs some transmission work, does not go into 1st gear when in drive but does when in other gears. Tiptronic also not working. Some cosmetic work needed as well. I have not had any estimates done for any of the fixes. Top is like new and works fine."

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5723159645.html
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

That car is worth about 4-5 k. but a good candidate for a manual swap, nevertheless.

or a part-out candidate.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

I saw a few very nice 968's at the renn sport show this weekend. I need to get mine up and running with a top end rebuild.!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:51 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ A very few (6?, 8?). Disappointing to say the least, especially since h2o cars were featured. Some of those displayed were not as good as yours or mine. The black coupe we covered in this thread last week from the Carlsen's event would have been a star. I saw better 968's in the parking lot. But, the event itself is shocking in its size and scope. People I haven't seen in years. Looked for Pete but no luck.
The Tucson project car above looks like the perfect candidate for the tranny swap assuming the rest of the car is good.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:51 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DM
Project car:
"Runs and drives. Needs some transmission work, does not go into 1st gear when in drive but does when in other gears. Tiptronic also not working. Some cosmetic work needed as well. I have not had any estimates done for any of the fixes. Top is like new and works fine."

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5723159645.html
Apparently the car has been sold
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Porsche...vip=true&rt=nc

Tiptronic not working? Could that be a real problem or maybe simply some electric gremlins?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM
brian0473
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone decode this one for me?
WP0AA2966PS820182
Old 08-24-2016, 02:08 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my worst post on this forum evaar;

my feeling is; if a 968 Turbo replica is a solid, long-term, legacy upgrade for the 968.... therefore; you can be absolutely sure, a tip-to-manual upgrade will always increase the value of the car for all time. there's no reason for sentimentality or all-original.... forget it; The Porsche 911 is constantly tweaked, freaked and upgraded. They knock the crap out of 'em and not only do they hold ALL their value, they just get more personality, the more you screw them royal.

The 968 is worthy of far less lofty feelings/aspirations/sentiments toward preservation than the beloved-by-all Porsche 911.

I would bomb the sh_t out of a tiptronic car. there is no value, no BRO, no soul and no dignity in attempting to repair a tiptronic transmission unless the car is

1. in a city and you're doing work on your hand's free cell phone

2. keeping the car for your wife or daughter.

3. one of your arms was blown off in one of our fake foreign phony wars.

4. by no fault of your own, you have some other unique disability.

5. you're just clinging to life for some other random circumstance - and you're ready to mail it in.

let's be clear; there's no value whatsoever to an already lower-end, modestly powered, minimally equipped, entry-level Porsche taken even further back by a performance-robbing, dead-tech, pre-historic automatic transmission.

attempting to fix one is just throwing good money after gutless, meritless, automotive impovershment. Thank Christ the demographic of automatic vs manual transmissions isn't like the pathetic 928!!! We're so blessed!! the next totaled 968 manual donor is right around the corner....

if the Tip is the dead part of any otherwise, healthy 968, you should be open to (no matter how temporarily inconvenient) to the (albeit challenging), manual upgrade. There should no road too long, no bridge too far, and no inspired helper in a far-too distant galaxy to stop you from ascending to this lofty place.... enough salvage 968s exist out there to make the move.

After all, you already came this far.

Godspeed.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-24-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Jim Pasha drove a tip. 'Course he lost his clutch foot to diabetes but enjoyed the tip anyway.
I've had two tips. A white cab with red interior that could have had bicycle gears and I'd have bought it because it was beautiful. Had a midnight blue coupe with tip and loved driving it, Gutless yup! But, a Porsche, nonetheless, and a ton of fun to drive.
If you live in SF you don't want to be at a stop sign on California St. very often with a stick. Especially with that 1st vs reverse joke Porsche played on us with the 6 speed.
The wife/daughter thing is quite valid but the "girlfriends" thing is way more valid epecially if it is a white cab with red interior.
That said, I personally know of 3 conversions which tho' expensive made their owners happy. 1 is a frequent player on this site and in this thread. Another did his conversion in 2 days.
If you got the dough, the time, the skills, do it. But, don't knock the tip. It has a role and it plays it perfectly.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:14 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina

my feeling is; if a 968 Turbo replica is a solid, long-term, legacy upgrade for the 968.... therefore; you can be absolutely sure, a tip-to-manual upgrade will always increase the value of the car for all time. there's no reason for sentimentality or all-original.... forget it; The Porsche 911 is constantly tweaked, freaked and upgraded. They knock the crap out of 'em and not only do they hold ALL their value, they just get more personality, the more you screw them royal.

The 968 is worthy of far less lofty feelings/aspirations/sentiments toward preservation than the beloved-by-all Porsche 911.

I would bomb the sh_t out of a tiptronic car. there is no value, no BRO, no soul and no dignity in attempting to repair a tiptronic transmission unless the car is

5. you're just clinging to life for some other random circumstance - and you're ready to mail it in.

let's be clear; there's no value whatsoever to an already lower-end, modestly powered, minimally equipped, entry-level Porsche taken even further back by a performance-robbing, dead-tech, pre-historic automatic transmission.

attempting to fix one is just throwing good money after gutless, meritless, automotive impovershment. Thank Christ the demographic of automatic vs manual transmissions isn't like the pathetic 928!!! We're so blessed!! the next totaled 968 manual donor is right around the corner....

if the Tip is the dead part of any otherwise, healthy 968, you should be open to (no matter how temporarily inconvenient) to the (albeit challenging), manual upgrade. There should no road too long, no bridge too far, and no inspired helper in a far-too distant galaxy to stop you from ascending to this lofty place.... enough salvage 968s exist out there to make the move.

Godspeed.
Don't hold back OD...tell us what you really think.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I guess my Dynaflow conversion wasn't a good idea. Should have kept the six-speed.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

What's wrong with dynaslow? My Boxster had it. Just push a button on the steering wheel and presto, you could go even slower. Tip on a 968 is different. At least its like a fake stick instead of a keyboard. I actually find tip fun to drive and not nearly as exhausting in Ca gridlock. Thinking of converting all my 6 speeds to tip. Anybody want a swap? NOT!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Godspeed.
I'm impressed. But I must admit as for driving a convertible, I prefer a more relaxed driving style. Quite contrary to driving a coupé . So I think a tip accompanied by a 968 conv. is for me the right choice. I hope they will bring the vehicle home to me safe. They said, meanwhile it's in their warehouse, waiting for the next shipper.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Cruisin on a Sunday afternoon. Top down, tip up, glass of wine in the chilled cup holder, perfect.

Just ignore those coupes with six-speeds blasting by, they don't get it.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:52 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

With tip you can have the wine AND your Kindle.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Godspeed.
Exactly that, your feeling..

Long post but little that actually holds true.

You don't know the 911 market.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....