Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman
Very nice black on grey on Ebay. Trying to decide if the seats are recovered. The leather seems to not fit quite right. And what is the covering on the rear seats?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/968/1834807...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
The rear seats look to be covered in a type of leather or vinyl that has "Porsche" stamped/printed on it. I have seen it before on other models just not a 968.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 10-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yep, nice car, but if they get $42k for that then I'll need to go up my insured value at Hagerty around $15k.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

If they get $42K, I think we will ALL have to up our insurance.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Maritime Blue...SWEET https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...724534091.html
Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Just such an awesome color with such a cool interior color combo. With 140K on the clock, I wonder what price it will really sell for? Somewhere near the $15.75K asking price or is its sell price actually lower? I think the sell price is lower, but what do I know?

I just love the two tone interior.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM
tuckerware
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Just such an awesome color with such a cool interior color combo. With 140K on the clock, I wonder what price it will really sell for? Somewhere near the $15.75K asking price or is its sell price actually lower? I think the sell price is lower, but what do I know?

I was so excited to see this posted close to me and made the three hour drive last night to check it out. In case anyone is interested here is my take:

The Good:

It's a 6-speed 968 coupe

It is freaking Maritime Blue on a Porsche Script Interior

Brakes felt great

All electrics seemed to work just fine

Interior is a 7-8 out of 10 which is as good as could be expected with the age/miles

In spite of issues I'll get to, it drove relatively well

No rust at all that I could see, even undercarriage was pretty clean

suspension looked OK (end links, ball joint boots, etc. were not torn)

Records back to 2010

Seller was very generous with his time and accommodating for my pretty thorough inspection

The Bad (mechanical):

It needs a clutch (and I'd assume flywheel). Not slipping but very grabby, high engagement, difficult to be smooth

It needs motor mounts

Engine needs a complete re-seal - balance shaft seals, crank seals, etc - a lot of seepage

Power steering hoses all need to be replaced - leaking significantly

Belt service - last done ~ 6 years ago

Most of this was needed when previous owner purchased the car in 2010 based on inspections in the provided records so it has been deferred since then

The Ugly (cosmetic)

2"-3" tear in driver's bolster (seems like could be repaired by leather/upholstery shop)

A few stains on the interior - not surprising for age but it is very light so everything shows.

Small dent on left rear quarter panel right above bumper seem (would have to get blended below fender line from door to rear bumper to repair)

Hood paint has some odd cracks/scratches in the paint - looks like tiny chicken feet scratched all over it - rest is just typical for age/mileage

Bottom Line:

If it was a more common black/white/red car with this mileage and so much mechanical and cosmetic work needed I can't see it being worth more than $8K - $9K. I would probably forego the paintwork and just enjoy having a nice driver but addressing all of the deferred repairs is likely a $5K - $6K investment minimum at a shop. Even with all that sorted I don't think this would be worth ~ $20K. The color certainly adds value but more than I could justify. Bottom line, you really gotta love Maritime Blue to pony up for this 968. Maybe someone who has the right garage setup to tackle all this work at home could make sense of it.

Spending 7 hours driving to LA and back empty handed was a bummer but at least I got to see a Smurfy unicorn of a 968...
Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 PM
rggale
Rennlist Member

wow I love the color combination. Price is steep for the mileage, but when combined with the color...who knows. Far be it for me to say what is/isn't too expensive....I bought the white one with tech art splitter on BaT last year....and loving every minute and dollar of it.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rggale
wow I love the color combination. Price is steep for the mileage, but when combined with the color...who knows. Far be it for me to say what is/isn't too expensive....I bought the white one with tech art splitter on BaT last year....and loving every minute and dollar of it.

Love your car!
A few questions about the modification if you do not mind?
-Does the short shift kit make much of a difference? I guess unless you have driven a normal 6 speed you might not know...
-How do you like the RS Barn Chip? "
-Have you gotten the headlight bucket fixed. If so was it a PITA?
-What are Jaeger Engineering hood inserts?
-Have you thought about adding a Cat Back exhaust?

Sorry to be such a pain, but i would like to learn from your experience.

Thanks,

Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin

Last edited by Yogii; 10-18-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tuckerware
I was so excited to see this posted close to me and made the three hour drive last night to check it out. In case anyone is interested here is my take:

The Good:

It's a 6-speed 968 coupe

It is freaking Maritime Blue on a Porsche Script Interior

Brakes felt great

All electrics seemed to work just fine

Interior is a 7-8 out of 10 which is as good as could be expected with the age/miles

In spite of issues I'll get to, it drove relatively well

No rust at all that I could see, even undercarriage was pretty clean

suspension looked OK (end links, ball joint boots, etc. were not torn)

Records back to 2010

Seller was very generous with his time and accommodating for my pretty thorough inspection

The Bad (mechanical):

It needs a clutch (and I'd assume flywheel). Not slipping but very grabby, high engagement, difficult to be smooth

It needs motor mounts

Engine needs a complete re-seal - balance shaft seals, crank seals, etc - a lot of seepage

Power steering hoses all need to be replaced - leaking significantly

Belt service - last done ~ 6 years ago

Most of this was needed when previous owner purchased the car in 2010 based on inspections in the provided records so it has been deferred since then

The Ugly (cosmetic)

2"-3" tear in driver's bolster (seems like could be repaired by leather/upholstery shop)

A few stains on the interior - not surprising for age but it is very light so everything shows.

Small dent on left rear quarter panel right above bumper seem (would have to get blended below fender line from door to rear bumper to repair)

Hood paint has some odd cracks/scratches in the paint - looks like tiny chicken feet scratched all over it - rest is just typical for age/mileage

Bottom Line:

If it was a more common black/white/red car with this mileage and so much mechanical and cosmetic work needed I can't see it being worth more than $8K - $9K. I would probably forego the paintwork and just enjoy having a nice driver but addressing all of the deferred repairs is likely a $5K - $6K investment minimum at a shop. Even with all that sorted I don't think this would be worth ~ $20K. The color certainly adds value but more than I could justify. Bottom line, you really gotta love Maritime Blue to pony up for this 968. Maybe someone who has the right garage setup to tackle all this work at home could make sense of it.

Spending 7 hours driving to LA and back empty handed was a bummer but at least I got to see a Smurfy unicorn of a 968...
Thanks for checking it out! Thanks for your honest report. 7 hours from Santa Barbara to LA and back?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the report! How was the paint? Any repair work/repaint?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Nice work on the inspection! Were the Cup 1s factory or aftermarket...hard to tell from 2700 miles. Im so thankful this car is on the west coast as I dont think I could contain myself otherwise, if the wheels are factory they are worth 20% of his asking price! Jeff good sir please post up the options....did those wheels come from factory? How about 220 or any other interesting option?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Nice work on the inspection! Were the Cup 1s factory or aftermarket...hard to tell from 2700 miles. Im so thankful this car is on the west coast as I dont think I could contain myself otherwise, if the wheels are factory they are worth 20% of his asking price! Jeff good sir please post up the options....did those wheels come from factory? How about 220 or any other interesting option?
The paint and interior are standard offerings. factory options include:
XD4 painted crests
437 Full power 8 way drivers seat
490/494 Hi-Fi sound with 10 speakers and amps
498 rear emblem delete
692 CD changer

No LSD or 17s.
I love it too.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
The paint and interior are standard offerings. factory options include:
XD4 painted crests
437 Full power 8 way drivers seat
490/494 Hi-Fi sound with 10 speakers and amps
498 rear emblem delete
692 CD changer

No LSD or 17s.
I love it too.
Jeff
Hmmm, from one pic, that bolster looks like a sport seat. But - I could be wrong. Or seats may have been swapped. For the work needed, it's priced pretty high. Trading on a unique color is what I would do as well, but seriously, 8 years of deferred mx that is KNOWN. What is unknown? Pass unless the price comes down.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Here's a sport seat:

Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 PM
tuckerware
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Yogii
Thanks for checking it out! Thanks for your honest report. 7 hours from Santa Barbara to LA and back?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Leaving SB at 4pm was brutal - almost 3 full hours to Culver city and I took my time inspecting. I hate LA.

Originally Posted by jeff968
Thanks for the report! How was the paint? Any repair work/repaint?
Front bumper is a little faded and on one of the inspection records the tech thought it had been repainted but always harder to tell on plastic. I did not have a paint meter and it was dark - but I couldn't feel any tape seams and am pretty sure all metal panels are original paint.

I know Jeff answered this, but they were not on the original build though Eric who previously owned the car may have more details. Pretty sure he bought those during his stewardship.

Originally Posted by docmirror
Hmmm, from one pic, that bolster looks like a sport seat. But - I could be wrong. Or seats may have been swapped. For the work needed, it's priced pretty high. Trading on a unique color is what I would do as well, but seriously, 8 years of deferred mx that is KNOWN. What is unknown? Pass unless the price comes down.
As Jeff confirmed, just standard seats - and though a much lighter color than I'd typically prefer the Porsche script is killer and a great combo with Maritime. Agreed on value. I spoke with Chris @ Schneider here in SB and he is an enthusiast/944 owner that knows these very well. He confirmed my estimates of ~$6K+ in repairs for just these known items. Definitely tough to justify at $15K+ since the clutch alone makes it tough to drive smoothly. I was fortunately able to drive that 50K mile coupe that was recently an BAT so have a good perspective of what a nearly perfect 968 should feel like - and that one was phenomenal. I'd take this straight to Schneider and have to write a big check immediately to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....