968 Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:32 PM
AshBrar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Gurus

Hello All,

My first post to this excellent site. I'm interested in a 968, and want to explore upgrade/modification paths before I go further.

I'm looking at forced induction for this car, what kits if any exist out there for the 3.0? I know of powerhaus, but I don't want to go to that extreme, nor do I want to spend as much as the car is worth on a kit ($15k USD for their 350hp kit).

TPC does not list a supercharger kit for this car, but I've heard many people mention superchargers. Any companies that are recommended? What about turbo kits? Any good kits that are available?

Thanks very much for your help.
Ash
Old 08-27-2003, 03:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a few options for you depending on what you want to do? You need to ask if you you want to do a low boost app or a high boost app cause the cost will be based on what your targets are.
Simply speaking, low boost will run you close to $6K and high boost will run you minimum $8k if you do the work yourself. Let me know what details you need and what are your requirements.
Raj
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
AshBrar
Track Day

Thanks for the quick reply Raj. I took a look at Huntley racing, and also speed force racing. Their kits look interesting.

I'm looking for 340hp crank out of the 968, I'm guessing this would come under the "low boost" applications?

Is there any work that you guys have had to do in regards to dropping compression ratios etc? Any issues with pinging?

Thanks again,
Ash
Old 08-27-2003, 05:33 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Here's a list of vendors: http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_...rboConversions

Karl.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:08 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out my site www.968S.com and check out www.968.net (Discussion board)
Old 08-28-2003, 12:42 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got my car for sale

http://www.tonygarcia.org/968_for_sale.html

Also the price is getting reduced further. The reason? Huntley Racing has money invested in this car, and they want their money out of it. Huntley has agreed to take less in order to drop the price of the car.

It's now at $19.5K
Old 08-28-2003, 01:35 PM
AshBrar
Track Day

Beautiful car Tony, unfortunately I live in Toronto, Canada, so I would prefer a local car.

Good luck.
Ash
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ash, I own a low compression turbo car. I am not a big fan of supercharging. Doesn't do anything for me. My car was built by one of your countries famous race car drivers, Ludwig Heimrath.
Lowering compression can be an expensive proposition. You goals can be easily achieved by a low boost turbo or supercharger setup without any need to make chnges in teh compression.
Best way is to buy a car that is already sorted out like I did. Tony's car might be something to look into. This way they went through all the growing pains.
Raj
Old 08-30-2003, 01:50 PM
AshBrar
Track Day

Raj,

I noticed that you are in the process of converting your 968 to full Turbo S spec? Interesting that you had Heimrath do some work, he is well known in Porsche circles here, and highly respected as you say.

So it seems that a low boost application will work just fine for 340hp (crank), which is great by me. My interest is to purchase a predefined "kit", that others have installed and does not have any guesswork involved with it. That is the main reason I don't want to work with one tuner and produce a "one-off" car.

I think this way I can avoid a lot of the growing pains, as a proven kit will have been tested by the tuner, and by other users that have bought this kit.

I love turbos myself, as I currently own a modified Audi. Through modern knock sensors and electronic boost control, my Audi has no issues with detonation etc even with peak boost hitting 15psi in some spots. I was hoping to go with something different this time, as I would like to experience a car without the traditional turbo lag characteristics. Is there any specific reason you don't like supercharging, or just a preference?

Will the standard 968 electronics work well enough to control engine knock etc? Is there a "popular" kit out there that several people have purchased and have been satisfied with? Perhaps something Huntley racing or SFR makes?

Sorry for all the newbie questions....your help is greatly appreciated.

Ash
Old 08-30-2003, 06:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ash, both system and setups have 1 user each. Low boost turbo was done to Trevor's car. Huntley did the work on Tony's car and SFR supplied the 3rd supercharger setup.
I cannot speak for any of the three setups. I am not sure about their driveabilities either. I know Trevor was looking to sell his car, Tony is looking to sell his car and the SFR car was up for sale some time back as well.
My car is already as close to turbo spec as you can get. Next thing would be to start putting turbo S parts . You could not tell the 2 apart if you saw them in a pic. My car has full leather interior and turbo S cars are pretty stark with hardly any power features. You can call mine a turbo S lux version, lol.
Raj
Old 08-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by 968TurboS
turbo S cars are pretty stark with hardly any power features
Funnily enough one got the two airbags and the air con, which are pretty much 968 "Lux" features ...

Old 08-31-2003, 09:42 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did factory Turbo S's come with the coin tray rather than the hinged lid compartment?
Old 08-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

At least four of these came with the coin tray.

Quick Reply: 968 Gurus