968 Forum 1992-1995

Buying a 968 with pinion bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
2zeroes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying a 968 with pinion bearing problem

I found a coupe that currently has the pinion bearing problem. It has 21k miles and is a one owner car. Car has always been serviced every 2 years. Only services done were fluids and filters changes, a/c recharges and warranty items. It still has all the original belts and waterpump.

Last month owner took it to the dealership (have a master tech familiar with 968s) due to "loud weird noise" coming from the back and they diagnosed the pinion bearing problem. They quoted just under $7k to do pinion bearing and belts, waterpump,major service, etc. He declined and had the car flatbedded home.

He has decided to sell the car, but car cannot be test driven or started up.

I've never bought a car without test driving it, let alone start it. I'm happy with the price we agreed on.

My question is: how often do the pinion bearings need to be done?

Should I go for it?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

where do you live?

a full rebuild should come in near about 4~4.5 k.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 2zeroes
I found a coupe that currently has the pinion bearing problem. It has 21k miles and is a one owner car. Car has always been serviced every 2 years. Only services done were fluids and filters changes, a/c recharges and warranty items. It still has all the original belts and waterpump.

Last month owner took it to the dealership (have a master tech familiar with 968s) due to "loud weird noise" coming from the back and they diagnosed the pinion bearing problem. They quoted just under $7k to do pinion bearing and belts, waterpump,major service, etc. He declined and had the car flatbedded home.

He has decided to sell the car, but car cannot be test driven or started up.

I've never bought a car without test driving it, let alone start it. I'm happy with the price we agreed on.

My question is: how often do the pinion bearings need to be done?

Should I go for it?
Go for it. You are dealing with a very nice car with a lot of deferred maintenance which should be reflected in the purchase price but the base car is probably incredible (paint, interior).

Only a small percentage of the 968s have the pinion bearing issue although it is the 968s "biggest" production bug. Google it for more info but once fixed you should never have to deal with it again.

You can do much better for those repairs then the full dealer retail price you were quoted.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it if you can confirm accurate mileage through maintenance history. My pinion bearing rebuild 2 yrs ago cost $1700 and should never be needed again if done right. It would cost $2k if you drive the car in and need the trans removed which adds a couple more hours to the job.

You should at least be able to start the car with old belts, I just wouldn't expect to race it around...

A full front-end rebuild including belts, rollers, wp, thermostat, tb tensioner, seals, hcv, oil pump gear is $2k, half for parts and half for labor.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done right, the pinion bearing should be a one-time thing. I wouldn't start it with old belts though, that's when they are under the most stress (everything is being yanked up to speed) and seem to break.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM
BikePilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, one-time thing when faulty (most aren't). It's not something you'll have to do again.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 AM
MB968
Racer

I'm with Tama. On an interference engine that is that old with original belts, it is cheap insurance to have it towed for the service. Even if the risk isn't that high, why take a chance on starting it and maybe causing the bill to go up by thousands of dollars.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Did you end up taking this 968 home?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:33 AM
2zeroes
Racer

Well its official, I now own a 968. Didn't want to say anything till it was a done deal.

Thanks to all that replied!

It should be here middle to end of next week. Will post pics then.

What it needs:
-pinion bearing repaired
-belts/rollers
-fluids/filters changed
-exterior wax - original selling dealer put lots of swirl marks on paint

What's a good shop to have the pinion bearing repaired?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! And so another journey begins...
Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Well its official, I now own a 968. Didn't want to say anything till it was a done deal.

Thanks to all that replied!

It should be here middle to end of next week. Will post pics then.

What it needs:
-pinion bearing repaired
-belts/rollers
-fluids/filters changed
-exterior wax - original selling dealer put lots of swirl marks on paint

What's a good shop to have the pinion bearing repaired?
Congrats. It would help knowing what part of country you live in so we can recommend a shop close by. A pinion bearing problem should not cost any more than $1200-$1500. Might be a good time to add an LSD if not equipped.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
2zeroes
Racer

968TurboS: I'm in Bucks County PA. I want to take it to someone who's done the repair atleast a couple of times. I don't mind having to ship the tranny. I just don't want to have this occur again.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You Are in luck. One of the best 968 mechanics in the country is just 30 mins fom you. Max at provost motorsports in bordentown nj. He can do the bearing. Give them a call. I've had major work done there, you won't have any probs and it will be done right.

Pm me if you want more info.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

968TurboS: I'm in Bucks County PA. I want to take it to someone who's done the repair atleast a couple of times. I don't mind having to ship the tranny. I just don't want to have this occur again.
There are a few options in the area. You need to make sure whomever you use, has done this before and warranties his work. I would join the local PCA chapter and contact your local PCA to see who they would recommend. Depending on how handy you are, you could remove the trans yourself to save some $$.

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-30-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
rennlistuser5
Intermediate

I don't know if you ever got this done as you haven't posted - but I just had mine done in April by a shop in Daytona. $2700 cash - out, rebuilt and in...2 year warranty.

Let me know if you need the info.

Quick Reply: Buying a 968 with pinion bearing problem