968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dougs968
Interesting, on the temp gage at the bottom there is a thick white line. Next up is a thin white line. On my car when the temp hits this line the radiator fan kicks on. Never been over this line. I think my gage needs to be recalibraited. When my engine is cold the temp needle rests way below the lowest line between the 6 and 7 o'clock position. How about you guys? What is the normal cold position to start with?

Doug
The engine temp sensor is a thermocouple, and will not read anything below about 140 on the gauge. So, even on the hottest day you won't see any indication on the gauge when the car is cold. The needle will rest on the stop at that bottom. However, if your fans start when the needle meets the first thin white line, I agree that your gauge is not well calibrated. Mine is running on low just below the second white line up, and goes into high speed when it goes just above the second white line up.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ChatyJones
Speaking of the odometer reset. I had read that you shouldn't press it while the car is moving. Is this correct?
No, this is a myth about why our odometers fail so often. The reality is that Siemens VDO built the odometer to run on a nylon toothed gear, and then lubricated that gear with a grease that eats nylon. If it's going to strip the teeth, it's just going to happen one way or the other.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

how do ya fix it when she goes ?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
how do ya fix it when she goes ?
take your gauge cluster out and replace the little plastic gear set. they're pretty cheap. although i did exactly this and found that my gear was fine, something else was broken... sent it off to Hollywood speedo and i had it back in a few days as good as new... i still have my new gear around here somewhere if you need one. yours for shipping.

i use mine as a dd these days as well and its been great! and for oil i use valvoline synthetic 20W50. (VR1)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm gonna put on about 130 miles tonite and if it survives without too many parts falling off, we'll put it in service. Still have an annoying small oil leak at the back of the LBS, and I've read the process to repair it but I just don't have the time right now to dig in. I may clean that cap in back and slather some sealant on it for the time being.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

My dinner trip did not go well. C&P from the 928 forum.

Well - I offended the 928 gods by driving the wrong car to the dinner. So, they smote me. I parked my 968 nose in to a curb surround, hopped out and went inside. It was pouring buckets all the way over from W Ft Worth, and everything around the car was wet.

When it was time to go home, I found my car with the front wheels jumped up over the curb, and the back wheels resting against it. 'What the hell' I said? Who bumped my car forward? I'm looking for damage and there was none so I hopped in and tried to start it. Completely dead. No lights, no sirens, no power at all.

After some fiddling with jumper cables, it was discovered that the starter had engaged itself and since the car is a stick and in first gear, it bumped forward until the rear tires were just off the ground and spinning. Drained the batt all the way down.

It went home on a trailer, and I've got to see what caused the solenoid to engage with the keys in my pocket. Water ingress is the only thing I can think of, and I'll be looking for a break in the solenoid pick wire tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

This has happened a few times with 944 series cars. I think wire damage, rodent damage to the wiring at the solenoid is usually to blame.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 08-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Doc, can we have some history on this car. Lots of issues...
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

The battery to starter and starter to alternator cables are a common weak point on the 968. The insulation wears away over time and causes a short, and thus the starter to engage. Lucky you got away with such little damage.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Doc, I had a somewhat similar problem with my 968 a few months ago. My car like yours is a six speed. What I discovered is that the wire insulation on the positive battery cable where it connects to the starter and the insulation on the other wire that connects to the starter had just disintegrated. Both of these wires run through a kind of thick plastic tubing. In my case the wires were touching and the starter just goes and goes till you disconnect the battery. I did a write up on my solution under "starter problems" I think.

Doug
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
take your gauge cluster out and replace the little plastic gear set. they're pretty cheap. although i did exactly this and found that my gear was fine, something else was broken... sent it off to Hollywood speedo and i had it back in a few days as good as new... i still have my new gear around here somewhere if you need one. yours for shipping.

i use mine as a dd these days as well and its been great! and for oil i use valvoline synthetic 20W50. (VR1)

thanks.

my speedo is fine. but waiting for that sad day.....
Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

wtf ?

Originally Posted by docmirror

Well - I offended the 928 gods by driving the wrong car to the dinner. So, they smote me. I parked my 968 nose in to a curb surround, hopped out and went inside. It was pouring buckets all the way over from W Ft Worth, and everything around the car was wet.

When it was time to go home, I found my car with the front wheels jumped up over the curb, and the back wheels resting against it. 'What the hell' I said? Who bumped my car forward? I'm looking for damage and there was none so I hopped in and tried to start it. Completely dead. No lights, no sirens, no power at all.

After some fiddling with jumper cables, it was discovered that the starter had engaged itself and since the car is a stick and in first gear, it bumped forward until the rear tires were just off the ground and spinning. Drained the batt all the way down.

It went home on a trailer, and I've got to see what caused the solenoid to engage with the keys in my pocket. Water ingress is the only thing I can think of, and I'll be looking for a break in the solenoid pick wire tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror

holy crap! im sorry to hear this Doc! i had heard of this before but until now it was only legend! I promise these are good cars! really!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

This car was sitting in the back yard of a house for +5 years without moving. It had leaves in the engine bay all over, and flat tires, and plenty of the front engine components in the hatch. So, it could have suffered rodent damage on the outside, but when I had it on the lift I didn't see any evidence.

I'll run a new solenoid pick wire today from the starter area up to the CE panel and just snip off the remnants of the old pick wire so it won't do this again. It enters the CE board on pin E25 and leaves it on G25 to connector block 179. If I can locate the connector block, that would be the best place to terminate it on this end.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Might want to consider replacing the starter as well. Starters are not meant to run for that long continuously even in neutral, much less in first gear and presumably with the handbrake on, and pushing the car up and over a curb at that. Even if the starter works once you replace the battery and the wiring, I would never be able to trust it again.

Quick Reply: 968 as DD? Yeah/nay and your reasons.