Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Old 01-12-2019, 04:55 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

before the torsion bar tube is lifted completely, get the parking brake cables situated. it is kinda tight work with tube all the way up.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
before the torsion bar tube is lifted completely, get the parking brake cables situated. it is kinda tight work with tube all the way up.
Good advise - Thank you. I agree that the parking cable is a pita. It was the hardest part to detach too.

I refinished the spring plates before installing the race of new bushings from Chuck at Elephant Racing.

cleaned aluminum parts and installed the other part of elephant racing bearings.
Most of my time this weekend was helping a friend finish a fuel injector related job on a 7.3 ford turbo Deisel. We had done the job but had managed to hydrolock the engine, so we had to go back and undo a lot in order to allow the engine to rotate. I didn't think that truck would ever run again, but it started and it ran strong and quiet. Bringing a 22-year-old truck back to life is very satisfying.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

the 96-97 version of the 7.3 was the best....highest compression ratio (compared to later models) and no waste gate.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starter replacement completed

Starter replacement completed. Removal of the old bushing and insertion of the new bushing required some custom tools...
Additional shrink tubing applied where harness sleeving was worn.

Onto the interior!

I tried to upload pictures what the hey!

Last edited by dfheezy; 01-15-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: No pictures showing ...
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default See if this helps y'all see some McGyver starter repair...

Bushing removal tool - (2) drill bits lock a hex bolt behind the bushing. Tape indicated the locking pin engaged. Maybe there's an actual tool for this, someone can link maybe?

Damaged sleeving/insulation...

Repair of insulation with shrink tubing, and hole ready for preparation for new bushing...

Successively shortened blue brillo pad for preparing hole for the new bushing, and my bushing installation tool. Light hammer taps on the bronze push ring slides in the new bushing with compliance =)

Repaired sleeving and bushing installed!

The rest was plug and play!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi dfheezy, I've been a little concerned about the condition of my bearing which is shown below. Looking at your pictures, what are you going to do about the toothed ring for the starter. Yours is totally full of foreign matter.
Here's my bushing. You've given me some inspiration to do something about it.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Have needed to replace rear wheel bearings for some time (150K on clock) but wanted to wait until the car needed rear brakes as well. Bought the Arnworx removal tool even though I think the slide hammer would do the job. Also will repack rear CV joints and install new boots, replace rear rotors, pads, shims for pads

Rotors, calipers, hub halves removed to expose bad bearing

Arnworx tool removing bad bearing

New bearing about to be pounded in with seal/race tools

Hub halves put back together, new zimmerman z coat rotor installed. Will install caliper & new pads when shims arrive $72 (URO from RockAuto) for rear & front shims Still need to torque the New replacement nut to spec on the rear wheel bearing/hub halves. (Its a big number, prefer to put car on ground and more firm, should be able to do with center cap out of wheel)

Bearing was clearly in bad shape, when hub halves still joined to bearing there was much play/movement when grabbing wheel studs. Now to the other side, then front wheel bearings and new brakes & struts.

Last edited by jsheiry; 01-29-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Not really anything I've done for my 68 but, missing this during the polar vortex:

Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Not really anything I've done for my 68 but, missing this during the polar vortex:

Love the color!

-Y
Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
Love the color!

-Y
Yeah me too.!!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Out with the old and in with the new!​​​​​​​

Start with the little things, that is about all I can do at this point anyway...

Same length.

-Yogii
​​​​​​​AKA 968 Novice
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't posted in some time. Installed door handle gaskets. Quick oil change. Detailed a couple weeks back. Sorry no recent pics. Just shy of 54k miles.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:26 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Actually over the weekend; removed the glove box, dug around under the L/H dash to check what relays and fuses were there (in the vain hope of installing a light chime relay - G25). Being a CS/S there was absolutely nothing there - just the plastic square relay frame. No relays or wiring loom for anything there. One fuse only (no other fuse holders) - mirror adjustment. Changed my attention to installing an additional 12v extension (for a low current draw speed camera detector). This I ended up splicing into the radio feed. Surprised how hard it was to get access to much at all under the tightly packed dash.

Also fully adjusted the front Koni's to max hard for a bit of driving. Will turn these back to medium next week. I feel happier making sure I every now and then I use the full range of adjustment just to keep the dampers from moving and operating in the same parameters all the time.

Have also sent my VIN # to Porsche for a UK recall check in making sure nothing was missed in the past. Question to all; have you had any recall (or Technical Bulletin) items done in the past? And how many were there - I can't seem to find anything.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I changed the oil for the first time since I bought the car.
Easier than my 924S, I think.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Spring has sprung and trying to get my wifes car out of the garage with all the winter projects complete. Got the Koni sport inserts installed, new rotors, pads, wheel bearings, brake lines.... few more projects left and will be ready.

From this to....

This

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....