Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   what did you do with your 968 today..... (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/672682-what-did-you-do-with-your-968-today.html)

kwikt 11-04-2012 08:46 PM

Replaced one of the radiator fans today then did an oil change.

odurandina 01-07-2013 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i thought this could be helpful..... don't forget; cheap bosch plastic sits, gets old and brittle....

Originally Posted by johntorg (Post 8427968)

I ran my 2.7L 944 at Road Atlanta last weekend. It ran fine, but when I unloaded the car, after returning home, it wouldn't start. I found the rotor had the end melted off. In looking around my shop for a quick replacement and found a 944 Turbo engine with the same problem.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty wet, and I ran through a deep puddle in turn 5. Is that a probable cause? If not, what is?

my guess, is the cause of the melted rotor is the tip got loose and made hard contact with the cap.

Originally Posted by 944Ross (Post 8428062)

Once the clearances open up on the rotor they get eaten up quickly. Were the contacts in the cap also eaten up?

the size of the arc changes ? increasing the temperature of the tip and fatigues the plastic ?

sounds quite plausible.

even though i wasn't planning to drive the car much more,

i just changed out my rotor [but not the cap] a few weeks ago on my 968.

why ? cuz rotors are cheap.

when they fail, they break the caps—leaving you stranded.

back in '94 i made a trip from Austin to South Padre Island in my 944S. pulled into a campground a few hundred yards from all the spring break mayhem and when i went to start the car, the rotor failed—and took out the cap, leaving me without a car for 2 days. besides a fan relay and several oil filters, it was the only part i ever replaced in the engine bay from 17 k to 116 k when i blew up the engine [including never changing the belts].

i'm no guru, but change your rotors at about 30~35 k miles or 3~4 years. the caps will go for trillions of miles.

tamathumper 01-07-2013 05:26 PM

Holy shiznit.

dougs968 01-07-2013 09:58 PM

Mental note to self: keep a spare rotor in car, especially if going out of town. OD, thanks for your insight. :cool:

Doug

968gene 01-07-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by dougs968 (Post 10126243)
Mental note to self: keep a spare rotor in car, especially if going out of town. OD, thanks for your insight. :cool:

Doug

LOL, make that a spare rotor, spare heater control valve, and spare DME relay. That glove box is getting crowded! At the Porsche Parade in Savannah, we had a fellow 968er lose a heater control valve on a scenic tour. Lucky for him, one of us in the group had a spare in the glove box.

odurandina 01-08-2013 06:34 AM

the spare rotor is the one spinning on the distributor housing.

or pack both cap and rotor,

as a blown rotor, without shattering the cap, is unlikely.

course, i had it almost pegged for half of king ranch as there were no speed zones back in those days. :rockon:

rhs63 01-10-2013 01:00 AM

Had my car serviced (66000 miles) at Rennwerke in Elmsford, NY. Had a good chat with Cheech, the owner, who told me some stories about Seinfelds Porsche cars being services in his shop. Would love to bump into him one day :)

odurandina 03-29-2013 08:54 PM

drove her from Dallas to San Antonio to Daytona and finally in Ft. Lauderdale.....

timing belts/bs belts/H20 pump done at 62 k miles (car now at 176 k)...... H20 pump failed about 20 miles before reaching destination in Daytona.

Ryan Kennedy (Kennedy Motorsports) discovered that it would be necessary to replace all the timing system's rollers. as they were also toast.....

the belts were pristine and prolly could have gone another 60 k.

the Gates belts with improved rubber formula totally rock !!

pulled the front Dunlop 9000s off the car.

front right.... deep holes with torn belts exposed and a long beltline totally shredded..... how did it not blow out ?

left tire not much better @ 87 k miles. yes, 87,000 miles since install 4 and a half years ago.

i got the 2 fronts (225-40-18) and 3 rears (275-35-18 which i've been rotating) for 70% off on closeout from Tire Rack....
one of the rears rotated to the non-power side a few years ago also has 87 k miles and is completely bare. :cheers:

*so when is belt/roller change time ? when the H20 pump blows up !!! :cheers:

tamathumper 03-29-2013 10:08 PM

Not sure I understand this post - are you saying you were driving on tires with "deep holes with torn belts exposed and a long beltline totally shredded"?

odurandina 03-29-2013 11:49 PM

yes. precisely. and this tire is needing to be studied.

before reaching it's final resting place in the Smithsonian.

photos coming soon.

Rob in Oz 03-30-2013 05:31 AM

Just installed a 2-post Hoist (Lift) in my 2nd shed. 968 and Audi S4 can't wait to try it out!

phil0618 03-30-2013 06:29 PM

Today I replaced the cheap plastic part on the passenger door that breaks and renders the auto locking mechanism inoperable. The "fix" is easy, and the part is cheap, but I really dread putting the door panel back together. Two of the three screws (the two holding the brackets) under the arm rest get me every time. Some patience and some profanity allowed me to triumph over this travesty of engineering.

Next up - a rebuild of the transaxle to address the pinion gear problem which has gotten too loud to ignore.

dougs968 03-31-2013 01:05 AM

Didn't do, but related. Went by Oklahoma Foreign this afternoon and bought a couple used motor mounts. Not to install, but to take some measurements of. I'm thinking about making some semi-solid mounts out of aluminum or magnesium I have laying around. Have all kinds of stiff bonded rubber obsolete parts at work I can utilize also that should work great as a mid-section vibration dampener. Not for sure if I'll do it, but it's an idea. The stock ones don't seem to weigh that much to begin with, so there probably won't be much if any weight savings.

odurandina 03-31-2013 01:17 AM

i think it would be cool to make use of 2 hockey pucks cut down to size in between two plates.

just as easy to just secton part of a tire.

but there's not much room with these german motors.

dougs968 03-31-2013 01:41 AM

Yea, OD. The tire idea would work pretty good too. All you would need is a drill motor and a hole saw. :thumbup: