968 Forum 1992-1995

Door won't open, can't unlock it

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Door won't open, can't unlock it

So, apparently the mechanism inside the driver's door is broken or jammed.

History: about 3 weeks ago, the outside door handle stopped working, it was jammed, the lever no longer moved freely. So we used the inside handle for a few days to get by. Then my daughter brought it home with the inside handle no longer working. And the door is closed.

So now, the inside handle moves freely like when the door is locked. The outside lever the same. But these have no effect on opening the latch, i.e. as if the door is locked. The lock **** doesn't move freely, it barely goes up and down, like it is jammed. The key moves freely from the outside, it causes the clicking as if it was locking and unlocking, but apparently it doesn't unlock.

So the door is closed, apparently can't unlock it, and no openers work! Can't remove the panel.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Hate to say it but cutting a hole in the panel is one possible next step I would like to avoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Roland
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but my exterior door-handle (driver's side) quit working. I could operate the lever as if opening the door, but nothing would happen, and the lever would not spring back into place. The locks appeared to work normally as did the interior door handle. I think you described the same symptoms early in your problem.

The mechanism inside the door, that attaches the exterior door handle to the actual mechanical door latch, had exploded. It is an inexpensive part, but requires a contortionist with very small limbs to replace...

I let the shop do it, and I think it took 2-3 hours of labor + $1.50 or so in parts.

I suspect you had this happen, just to a much greater degree, and now the broken connectors are effecting your lock.

I hope this helps with your diagnosis, and good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM
magcuda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to remove the inner door panel. It can be done just takes time and patience.
Then you can get the door open and replace broken/damaged parts

Quick Reply: Door won't open, can't unlock it