Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anderson Motorworks...were, baaack!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 11:08 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anderson Motorworks...were, baaack!

Well, as promised we, took the 84 944 NA out to willow springs for the POC Cup Race this weekend.
Here are the details...Saturday, Tim C, took the car out for the first practice session..I believe 12 laps...we posted a 1:33.9 in that session, with a few above that in the earlier laps.

In the second session, we posted about four more 1;33's and a couple 1:35's.

In the qualifying race we gained the number 8 position for the start of the cup race, that was 8th out of 22 cars.

In the actual cup race we held the position of 7th to the finish (we ran off at turn 9, but quickly gained our position back) and a time of 1:34.6...out of 22 cars. It was 20 laps long.

Now for more details, we turned a few heads, mostly the "track" 911 owners, who didn't quite know what to think about our debute...we found out today, most thought our car was a turbo :-) Infact, I'm having stickers made for the rear of the car that clearly state "normally aspirated".

We passed Vandecar (well know willow 911 top 4 racer) cleanly, no dirt, no foul play, and we held him off for the rest of the run session!

Another victim, the Game Face Motorsports 911 went down also! Along with a few more prominent Willow POC 911's. Not to say we hate the tail draggers, but its nice to see a little ol 84 944 NA show them a thing or two!

Mr. Mitch Stahl came down, he was to drive the car for us in the practice sessions, but was late and had to stand by and watch our car for the rest of the day through qualifying. Mitch will be driving our car in the DEC event at willow along with Tim C. WEe have confidence that Mitch will show usd a few moves and post the 1:30 or sub mark. Mitch definately (along with a few other racers at the track)knows the car will do it.

Danno THANK YOU DANNO! Danno came down and mounted the in car video...it might be a tad shaky...13.25:1 compression and a cam doesn't idle well, along with top speed blasts aroun Willow, but Danno said it has stabilizer something.

The car was exceptional...the only issue we had.....well, we launched the sunroof around turn 8. I didn't see it, but the crew from Mindover Motorsports walked up to me after the session and told me our roof was about 100 feet in the air. We recovered the top, ......more rivets...all is well.

Oh, on the straight between seven and eight, we passed a 951 like he was running out of gas! Not bad.

Most of the time we were mixing it up with a built 914 with a 3.2 liter installed. we passed, he passed, so and so forth, infact he went off in turn 9 trying to catch us, and when we ran off in turn nine the next day, it was trying to hold our lead on him...it was an all weekend love affiar with that car!

Now I need to add...our car had the following:

Stock 84 na brakes.
15 inch wheels, 8's and 7's.
No LSD tranny.
We started the weekend with new hoosier tires on all four corners. But for the cup race we hade to replace the two front hoosiers with a set of used Kumo tires...the hoosiers were border line gone.
our 3.1 liter engine (flawless, never added a drop of oil, never leaked, never over heated, never had an engine issue of any sort).
The car weighed in on the POC scales at 2245lbs.

I hope I didn't leave anything out....so much to tell you folks about! If I did, maybe Mitch, Danno, or Shaun can fill in the blanks.

Take Care!

Quick Reply: Anderson Motorworks...were, baaack!