Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Short Shift Kit for 968

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Bill Radar make a brace replacement to the nylon linkage above the transmission. Now that he has done mine, he knows how to make it. This does not make the shift short and doesn't change geometry at all, but it makes the shifter both super smooth and there is almost no slop. I think this is the best shifting solution for a 968. If you really want short, you can put in a short shift kit too. Bill Radar Motorsports in Las Vegas. If you call him, use my name so he will know what you want. (John Isaacs)
John,
Your satisfaction with the shifter-linkage solution that Bill Radar made for you makes me wonder if he would be interested in making and selling a batch of these units, assuming we can pull together enough people for a group buy?

Group,
Any interest in purchasing a linkage like this? I am willing to lead a conversation with Bill about this topic, if it we can get a reasonable number of interested people. Obviously the final answer on your interest will depend in part on the cost of the unit, so no commitment required during this initial investigation stage.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan J.
Group,
Any interest in purchasing a linkage like this? I am willing to lead a conversation with Bill about this topic, if it we can get a reasonable number of interested people. Obviously the final answer on your interest will depend in part on the cost of the unit, so no commitment required during this initial investigation stage.
Count me in for 1, possibly 2.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:15 AM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I could not find someone who sold a 968 short shift, I built my own. I purchased a standard 968 shift mechanism and a 944 turbo short shift kit and welded the ball lever form the 968 linkage to the 944 short shift kit. Take a look at the link below, and I have a video of the shifter action. I have been running this for seven years with no issues.

Facebook Post

Facebook Post
Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

John,
Your satisfaction with the shifter-linkage solution that Bill Radar made for you makes me wonder if he would be interested in making and selling a batch of these units, assuming we can pull together enough people for a group buy?

Group,
I would be interested.
Who is the best transmission guy in the Bay Area? Best suspension set-up guy?

Thanks,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 05-04-2019, 03:06 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Shark Motorsport in Germany do a shift lever and short shift kit that is 968-specific
http://www.shark-motorsport.de/index...e&cat=75&f=123
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I would be interested in the linkage.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

same!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that there is interest from several people in having some sort of a group buy on a shifter linkage similar to the one that John Isaacs bought from Bill Radar. I will approach him and say that it looks like he could sell at least five of these units if he wants to make a batch, and get his initial reaction and level of interest. If he is interested enough to continue the conversation, I will start a new thread specifically on the topic of "Shift Linkage Group Buy" , and hopefully get a wider audience of people interested in participating. I will let everyone know what he says after I get a chance to talk with him.

Nathan
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Great! Thanks for taking the initiative.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

It seems that there is interest from several people in having some sort of a group buy on a shifter linkage similar to the one that John Isaacs bought from Bill Radar. I will approach him and say that it looks like he could sell at least five of these units if he wants to make a batch, and get his initial reaction and level of interest. If he is interested enough to continue the conversation, I will start a new thread specifically on the topic of "Shift Linkage Group Buy" , and hopefully get a wider audience of people interested in participating. I will let everyone know what he says after I get a chance to talk with him.

Nathan
fantastic. Not to forget, that linkage is found on all model 944 and 968 transaxles
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

To give you all a baseline, he spent many hours on mine as it was his first one. Even though he spent many hours, I was charged only $200. But now that he knows how to make it, I would think that he can make them more efficiently.

Nathan: Another thing to discuss with Bill is if these pieces will be to a generic size or if the diameter of the holes will be an exact fit for each customer. I sent Bill the linkage with the slopy nylon bearing. He made the bronze bearing to fit my linkage exactly. When I got the linkage back, I tried to transfer the bearing to another set of shifter parts, but the bronze fitting was too tight. The tolerance that Bill achieved is soo close that when I reassembled the bronze bearing with the linkage Bill made it for, it was also too stiff because I used a thin coat of MoS2 grease. I sent Bill a note and he replied that I needed the lightest weight grease that I could find. I do feel that there will be some economies of scale in the group purchase, but you should ask Bill if he needs everyone's hardware or not. And nice speaking with you the day. Look forward to keeping in touch.
The following users liked this post:
Marius Frangu (09-09-2020)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:30 AM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

count me in for a Bill Radar shifter linkage.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

I forgot about these
http://www.9products.com/product/127...-shift-linkage
Old 09-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Marius Frangu
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I know it's more then a year, but did Bill made some? I would be interested!
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Jon Mitchell Garage in the UK makes a great short shifter for the 968. This also rids all excessive play in the stock linkage. Check with them.

Pic from mine.

Last edited by PF; 09-09-2020 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marius Frangu (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit for 968