Tip vs. 6 speed - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Tip vs. 6 speed

Old 06-20-2001, 03:03 PM
cale
User

Question Tip vs. 6 speed

I'm looking to get my first 968 and I've seen alot of cars out there with the tiptronic, if someone could help me out with the cons/pros of it that would be great. I'd be happy getting a 6 speed, but the SO would like to be able to drive the new ride as well, and I was wondering how horrible the performance sacrafice would be. I've heard that you can loose as much as 30 RWHP because of it. I hope this doesn't cause too much of a flame war. Help, as always, is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:50 PM
JonSeigel
User

Simple answer from an owner of a '93 tip: Terrible at 40 mph or below, great after that. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

You may loose a bit of torque, because of the gearing, but I don't see how any hp losses would be possible. MAYBE 1-2% because of more internal friction, if that...

I didn't drive a tip for that long, but I think except for the launch, they're not as different as people make them out to be, however the manual IS much more fun IMO.

I'd suggest driving both, before making a decision.
Ahmet
Old 06-22-2001, 01:39 PM
Tabor
Super User

over1g: Autos are a big power loss. If you talk to Devek (928 tuners) about dynoing Auto vs Manual, they claim you loose 10-15% on a manual, 20-25% on an auto.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:11 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're saying autos loose 10% horsepower/torque on the same car, compared to manual? So on a vette with 300+ hp, I'd loose 30+with an auto, compared to a manual for example?

How do I get in touch with Devek?
Ahmet
Old 06-23-2001, 08:08 PM
Tabor
Super User

Yes. That is what I am saying. Devek. I am not %100 sure it was Devek that told me that. But I am sure you could ask them. They are supposed to be the best 928 tuner around.

I have heard it from many places. I think it is mainly that in an auto transmission you have a nylon discs being pressed together with hydrolic pressure. The power to press them together comes from the engine. This is power that isn't used in a manual transmission.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Tabor Kelly ]
Old 06-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I couldn't tell a very big difference after driving a tip 968 and a stick (save for the take-off). But this was in the city +what you say sounds reasonable, I'll look into it.

Thanks for clarifying.
Ahmet

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: