Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   Excellent VIN decoder (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/610366-excellent-vin-decoder.html)

968turbos2 10-10-2013 01:13 AM

Thanks Jeff! Spot on!

jeff968 10-10-2013 10:51 AM


Originally Posted by Protostar1 (Post 10819045)
Hello,

I just joined this forum and would love the info you have provided for other users so far.

My new car is a 1992 968 coupe, last three VIN digits: 456.

Thank you!

- Nate

Here you go Nate:

NS820456 - 6spd coupe
#396 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#396 of 649 1992 NA 968 coupes
1 of 20 N9 Oak green coupes (pretty rare)
1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior (17 have the cashmere and 2 have greys and only 1 black, yours!)

Factory options include metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 418 body colored side moldings, 437 full power drivers seat, 490/494 hi-fi sound speakers with amps, 586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)

Jeff

Protostar1 10-10-2013 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by jeff968 (Post 10820101)
Here you go Nate:

NS820456 - 6spd coupe
#396 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#396 of 649 1992 NA 968 coupes
1 of 20 N9 Oak green coupes (pretty rare)
1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior (17 have the cashmere and 2 have greys and only 1 black, yours!)

Factory options include metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 418 body colored side moldings, 437 full power drivers seat, 490/494 hi-fi sound speakers with amps, 586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)

Jeff

That is great! Thank you for the information.

I have the original window sticker and was interested to see what options you would come back with were ordered on the car.

Unfortunately, it appears the drivers seat was replaced with a common 4-way seat lacking lumbar support. Though it looks very rare, anyone have an idea where I might find a replacement seat that is correct for the car as ordered? My current seat is in pretty nice shape, but has some age, so the original must have failed some time ago.

The original stereo was also replaced with a Boxster item, though I would suspect this is less of a concern for someone wanting a bone stock original car should I sell it some day (some day many many years from now!).

- Nate

jeff968 10-10-2013 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by Protostar1 (Post 10820786)
That is great! Thank you for the information.

I have the original window sticker and was interested to see what options you would come back with were ordered on the car.

Unfortunately, it appears the drivers seat was replaced with a common 4-way seat lacking lumbar support. Though it looks very rare, anyone have an idea where I might find a replacement seat that is correct for the car as ordered? My current seat is in pretty nice shape, but has some age, so the original must have failed some time ago.

- Nate

Nate,
I assume what I listed matched your window sticker? As for your seat, I continue to hear about original selling dealer shenanigans where parts were switched in order to sell a car so maybe the dealer took the seat out and swapped with another car???
Jeff

Protostar1 10-10-2013 10:17 PM


Originally Posted by jeff968 (Post 10820868)
Nate,
I assume what I listed matched your window sticker? As for your seat, I continue to hear about original selling dealer shenanigans where parts were switched in order to sell a car so maybe the dealer took the seat out and swapped with another car???
Jeff

Jeff,

Yes, your information matched my window sticker. I believe the original owner was very neurotic about the car (even have a plaque for a 1st place in a PCA car show!) so it would surprise me that the seat was not replaced with the original equipment. I also have what appears to be 100% of the records, and I did not see mention of a seat failure. So maybe you are spot on with the dealer switcheroo?

- Nate

aerolithe 10-15-2013 06:27 PM

Hi Jeff

I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589

Thanks

marc

jeff968 10-15-2013 11:03 PM


Originally Posted by aerolithe (Post 10832210)
Hi Jeff

I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589

Thanks

marc

Marc,
I really don't know the differences on the 968s from Japan. Maybe others might. At least the steering wheel is on the correct side :)

My database is only North American 968 coupes and cabs.
Jeff

aerolithe 10-16-2013 07:53 AM

Thanks appreciated the help

Marc

tokyopav 10-16-2013 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by aerolithe (Post 10832210)
Hi Jeff I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589 Thanks marc

Pretty sure that's a German VIN number. I have troubles finding all the option code info.

zwoobah 10-24-2013 06:56 PM

Jeff, could you decode this one?
WP0AA2961SS820258 mfg 6/94.
Looking at buying it. Needs some love but has a fresh t-belt and runs well.

jeff968 10-24-2013 11:25 PM


Originally Posted by zwoobah (Post 10855405)
Jeff, could you decode this one?
WP0AA2961SS820258 mfg 6/94.
Looking at buying it. Needs some love but has a fresh t-belt and runs well.

Sure thing:

SS820258 - 6spd coupe
#2,173 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#198 of 259 1995 NA 968 coupes
1 of 64 K6 Aventurine metallic coupes
1 of 33 K6 Aventurine metallic coupes paired with a cashmere and black interior

Factory options include metallic paint, LC partial leather in cashmere, XD4 painted crest center caps, 437 full power drivers seat, XC9 dark rootwood 6spd shift knob (only 37 coupes had this option)

The car is a 718 car which means it was originally born a 1994. This 968 is actually the second to the last 718 car for 1995. After #259 they built 60 more true 95s to finish the run.

Jeff

Violator 10-28-2013 10:57 PM

Jeff can also do wpoaa296 XRS 820186

jeff968 10-29-2013 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by Violator (Post 10864774)
Jeff can also do wpoaa296 XRS 820186

Here you go:

RS820186 - 6spd coupe
#1,383 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#126 of 718 1994 NA 968 coupes
1 of 595 A1 Black coupes (most popular color on 968 coupe)
1 of 14 A1 Black coupes paired with light grey/black interior

Factory options include TS partial leather in light grey/black, XD4 painted crest center caps, 437 full power drivers seat, 692 CD changer.

The car is a 718 car which means it was originally born a 1993 (I believe a May 1993 build, checlk the door jam VIN sticker for me) and reVINed by Porsche to be a 1994.

Jeff

BTW, *** All I need for a 968 production profile is coupe or cab, year, last 3 of VIN ***

Violator 10-30-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks! Yes 5/93 is correct. The light grey/black interior variations did they also include options for seat color as well as carpet ?

jeff968 10-30-2013 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Violator (Post 10868368)
Thanks! Yes 5/93 is correct. The light grey/black interior variations did they also include options for seat color as well as carpet ?

Attached is a photo of the code TS light grey/black. This is what you would get in the standard configuration. Now, deviated carpet (in a different color, most likely black instead of the light grey which is almost white) was an option. You could also change things up and get different materials and piping but I can't see that you would change the seat color. If that is what you are seeing I'll bet the originals were swapped out. That color is almost white so it gets dirty very quickly. Looks awesome when new.


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 01:50 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands