968 Forum 1992-1995

magazine alert

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default magazine alert

FYI, the January issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars will feature a 968 buying guide. The December issue is on newstands now.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I buy this online as I'm in the UK ... would love to read
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Here's my review of the issue

OK, the issue hit the newstands. Overall, nothing new, but a few errors need to be mentioned. First, they mention that 14 Turbo RS cars were built; obviously they confused this with the Turbo S, which wasn't mentioned at all. Next, they state that CS and Sport models came without underseal-I'm 99% sure that isn't so, but maybe one of our Brit friends can confirm that? They also mention 'only' the Torsen lsd, not the other one.

Finally, the pinion bearing problem was mentioned as 'some parts can suffer from track use or high miles.' Not really true, because many cars with high miles or track use don't suffer from this, it seems more 'if it had improper preload when built then it'll have a problem later on' type issue. They do mention its 'cultish club following' as a positive.

Finally, under websites, they list first www.porsche968uk.com then www.968.net as the two available.

Last edited by Damian in NJ; 01-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Overall, nothing new, but a few errors need to be mentioned. First, they mention that 14 Turbo RS cars were built; obviously they confused this with the Turbo S, which wasn't mentioned at all.
I thought it was 4 of the Turbo RS and 16 of the Turbo S? Maybe they somehow conflated the digits of the two numbers in a drunken stupor?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Got it, I thought it was generally fairly positive, and good to see the classic car press starting to take notice of the 968.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Marky Boy
Track Day

Here's my review of the issue

Next, they state that CS and Sport models came without underseal-I'm 99% sure that isn't so, but maybe one of our Brit friends can confirm that?

Yup. My Sport is undersealed. You would have to be mad to use a road car over here without it as they use salt to de ice the roads.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDS968
I thought it was 4 of the Turbo RS and 16 of the Turbo S? Maybe they somehow conflated the digits of the two numbers in a drunken stupor?
Most sources will list 14 Turbo S and 4 RS, or 16 Turbo S & 4 RS. Both are not accurate. Nobody knows the exact amount made except for weissach. I know for a fact there are at least 22. A couple of my sources claim as many as 29 factory Turbo cars.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fox944
Most sources will list 14 Turbo S and 4 RS, or 16 Turbo S & 4 RS. Both are not accurate. Nobody knows the exact amount made except for weissach. I know for a fact there are at least 22. A couple of my sources claim as many as 29 factory Turbo cars.
How do you know 'for a fact'? Support this somehow.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marky Boy
Yup. My Sport is undersealed. You would have to be mad to use a road car over here without it as they use salt to de ice the roads.
Same here I got a Canadian Model & it,s got that yellowish sealed underneath witch is very very hard to remove.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

How do you know 'for a fact'? Support this somehow.
Because i have been documenting and tracking factory turbo cars for the last 5.5 years and will build a websight dedicated to the Factory Turbo Cars once my research is complete. I plan to create a sight that lists all info i have gathered in regards to the turbo cars. Specifications, technical info, etc etc etc. I will also include every Turbo S/RS i have found, its location, options it came with, color combo's, and pictures attached to VINs.

So far i have collected VIN's for more cars then most sources claim exist (including the RS Cars) and have pictures for most of those cars. I will release all my info in the form of a 968 Turbo dedicated web page once my research is complete. It is a very time consuming task, but i've been enjoying it...albeit frustrated at times.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Because i have been documenting and tracking factory turbo cars for the last 5.5 years and will build a websight dedicated to the Factory Turbo Cars once my research is complete. I plan to create a sight that lists all info i have gathered in regards to the turbo cars. Specifications, technical info, etc etc etc. I will also include every Turbo S/RS i have found, its location, options it came with, color combo's, and pictures attached to VINs.

So far i have collected VIN's for more cars then most sources claim exist (including the RS Cars) and have pictures for most of those cars. I will release all my info in the form of a 968 Turbo dedicated web page once my research is complete. It is a very time consuming task, but i've been enjoying it...albeit frustrated at times.
Let's see the VINs that support this; making a claim and stating you're working on a 'sight' that will explain all isn't really an explanation. But good for you for trying.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Let's see the VINs that support this; making a claim and stating you're working on a 'sight' that will explain all isn't really an explanation. But good for you for trying.

As i said, i'm not releasing my info untill i am ready to in the form of a websight dedicated to these cars. Whether or not you believe me has no bearing to me.

You can come to your own conclusions once i make all my research public. In the meantime, feel free to believe what you'd like.

On a side note, the Turbo cars are very interesting. Many were delivered with interesting options, and not all of them were delivered with 18" wheels.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

VIN range can easily be cheaked from PET 7 and several sites. If car exists in Porsche's system it will give most options etc but not colors.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

As i said, i'm not releasing my info untill i am ready to in the form of a websight dedicated to these cars. Whether or not you believe me has no bearing to me.

You can come to your own conclusions once i make all my research public. In the meantime, feel free to believe what you'd like.

On a side note, the Turbo cars are very interesting. Many were delivered with interesting options, and not all of them were delivered with 18" wheels.
You can continue to claim what you like, a claim is what it will remain.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
SDDave
Advanced

You can continue to claim what you like, a claim is what it will remain.
I'm going to assume that you have information, research, and your own VIN numbers forthcoming to dispute his claim, then? Or is this another "argue for the sake of arguing" post.......

Dave

Quick Reply: magazine alert