Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

that's pretty cool. did you add a polish to your clubsport wheel ?

i have a new question. does my 1994 have a cabin filter ? have been told no by one shop and yes by another.

if it is "no," i want to know why i don't seem to be getting maximum flow on the AC.

getting almost no flow on the duct near my driver's side door.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just taking the top portion of the rear seat out takes a lot of weight off the car and is free. If you can go without AC and the rearseat, those are the two easiest ways to gain a significant about of weight reduction. Have not done the rear seat delete on the 968 but have done it on the 944 and it really looks good. You just need to find some fasteners to keep the rear hatch carpet pulled over the metal clips so they are not visable. I just put a few stiches in that can be easly removed. The bottom seat cushion weighs about nothing anyway so leaving it in keeps it available for use if the need arises.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Question, does the clubsport have a rear seat?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. If ordered like that.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Question, does the clubsport have a rear seat?
No, standard option is with rear seats deleted - I've posted some pics on one of the other threads. It also comes with a parcel shelf as standard.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
that's pretty cool. did you add a polish to your clubsport wheel ?

Thanks - no, the wheel is standard - comfortable too, the outer is a little thicker than the standard steering wheel.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't seen a 235 tire with the correct profile for a 968. If you get it too tall it will rub the fender liner, depending on your offset. A friend had 235 on 7" cup2s and they rubbed. It doesn't really bother me though, so if you can live with rub, just go even wider, you might as well, right? I've tried 245 and it's still to date the best mod I've ever done to the car.

Bigger brakes will of course improve your braking, but they will hurt handling due to increased unsprung weight and heavier rotors. I know people talk about 928S4 brakes like they're epic, and big reds like they're alien technology.... but even with my wide tready pzeros, and my standard 968 brakes, I would feel the ABS actuate on hard braking. I know, big brakes are hard to beat on the coolness scale, and they're not much more expensive than a decent set of wheels, but I think they are unnecessary unless you use slicks.

If I could make a list of 9 mods to do to a stock 968, hmm let me see...
1. delete rear wiper
2. cool 17" wheels with say 245 and 285 tires
3. shocks/springs, which also lower by about 1"
4. tint glass
5. lightweight catback exhaust
6. 70s-80s leather sport seats (e.g. 911SC or 944/1)
7. splitter
8. lexan hatch and CF fenders and hood
9. fixed headlights, not that I've ever seen one that looked good

I left out some more extreme things which I'm thinking about doing.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I know, big brakes are hard to beat on the coolness scale, and they're not much more expensive than a decent set of wheels, but I think they are unnecessary unless you use slicks.
Hell, I can lock up R6s, it's just a question of the right pads and a heavy foot. Porsche didn't skimp on the brakes.

5. lightweight catback exhaust
Why have a catalyst at all?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

it's quite nice having the burden of the cat long gone.

btw, this car is awesome... https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...030-coupe.html

how can anyone not love those sports seats in black.

speaking of the car,

one of the guys on the '44 forum hinted that limited slip Differentials have a limited service life'

some day, if the occassion arrives that i'm out of an engine and install the V8, can i expect a limited service life on the LSD ?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
one of the guys on the '44 forum hinted that limited slip Differentials have a limited service life'

some day, if the occassion arrives that i'm out of an engine and install the V8, can i expect a limited service life on the LSD ?
Clutch-type limited slip differentials have friction material that wears down just like the friction material on your clutch. So it all depends on how hard you use them. If you never try to spin an inside wheel or drive on wet/snowy/ice/gravelly roads, the LSD will probably outlast the car, but if you track it, yes it'll probably have to get serviced sooner or later.

Gear-type LSDs, on the other hand, should last practically forever, assuming of course that you keep them properly lubricated with fresh, clean, cool gear oil.

Not really sure how that relates to a V8 though...do you have a limited slip now? Or were you planning to put one in, only if you put in a V8?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Generally speaking, '92s with LSD had the left over clutch-type ZF differentials, while '93+ cars had the new torsen type.

I always use a catalyst because it's the responsible and considerate thing to do. Anyone who fouls the air we breathe just to gain marginal performance is an ***. Sure, I think CA goes overboard with its smog laws, but every car in the world should have a cat. Especially with high-flow cats available, I don't understand how people can just run with no cat.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Generally speaking, '92s with LSD had the left over clutch-type ZF differentials, while '93+ cars had the new torsen type.

I always use a catalyst because it's the responsible and considerate thing to do. Anyone who fouls the air we breathe just to gain marginal performance is an ***. Sure, I think CA goes overboard with its smog laws, but every car in the world should have a cat. Especially with high-flow cats available, I don't understand how people can just run with no cat.
+1. Well Said. I could easily pickup an additinal 15rwhp on my turbo by removing the cat, but I would never do that. I take pride in the fact that I could take my car to the inspection station and pass.
Raj
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
DiREW0LF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A well tuned and maintained 944 or 968 engine will pass without a cat. My old 944 had no cat, high flow rear section, MSDS header, MSD ignition box and an FRwilk chip. I passed emissions no problem even the NOx was only slightly higher. The biggest problem was the sound, unless the engine was rev'ed above 5K it sounded like rice.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

every car in the world should have a cat. Especially with high-flow cats available, I don't understand how people can just run with no cat.

i had a dead cat... the benefits of increased gas mileage from not running a cat, vs/ having crappy gas mileage from having that old piece of crap stuffed in there is one way i make it through the day. then there's the trillion big SUVs making tons of carbon. it's ridiculous to attempt to regulate 15 ++ year old sports cars running litle 4 cylinder pee-shooters. now, i go about 29~32 miles on unleaded + gas if i drive near the speed limit. i often wait for fast moving trucks on long distance road trips and then park my car about 100 feet behind. the mileage goes up even more.

running this old engine with the dead cat was showing a loss of at least 30~40 hp. but, being able to gain so much power back, now that i'm back, near 250 hp, and added fuel savings, for me, was well worth it.

don't think i'm making a huge impact in the wide open spaces of the midwest and east coast. Massachusetts has no smog check for 15 year old cars and older. California is another situation. you're breaking the law and you'll go to prision. there are valleys with stagnant air. there's only stagnant, ozone-thick air in Boston about 20~30 days a year. the rest of the time, i'm elsewhere and there's none.

Originally Posted by JDS968
Not really sure how that relates to a V8 though...do you have a limited slip now? Or were you planning to put one in, only if you put in a V8?

i plan on picking one up for having when the day comes that i would have a v8.

i believe my engine still has a rather long life ahead. i will do a few things more to the car before purchasing Carl's kit. would also like to determine if my engine came with the Gen II connecting rods, since those are extremely unlikely to fail after changing the rod bearings.

it doesn't seem like a wise move to sell a perfectly good engine at this time just so i can install a v8. the enjoyment and utility i'm likely to experience from this engine is worth more than getting a couple grand by selling it. in the end, it'll be much more fun to see what running with the blower is like as a daily street car.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Anyone know if Lexan can be tinted and if it can, does it look as good as glass?

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....