Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
I think this is the most heated I've seen the 968 board in a long time. I've got factory *everything* on our 968 cab and you couldn't convince me to change it. I don't care if it sounds better, weighs less or shoots flames.
Agree 100%

There is no need to discard good systems and constantly question the engineering behind our cars. If we hate them that much, sell them and get something else. Too much bickering about this is not good, that is not good and this sucks and that...

It is, what it is. It was a great car for the 90's and was one of the faster 3.0 in it's time. It's 2010 now. We can't expect it to match today's cars in performance. As much as Porsche was ahead of it's time, manufacturers eventually caught up and passed our cars in performance. It's a complete package that still works very well. It handles and brakes very well.

As the saying goes, "put up or shut up". Either put the $$ into the car and make it "better" or accept it for what it is, or move on to something that is better.

All this bickering is just getting tiring..
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Raj, with all due respect i think we all love the cars. the heated argument was centered around one topic. cat v/s no cat. and the perspective of pollution vs the catalytic converter vs the notion that many of the benefits of the catalytic converter may not be so great as advertised — a point well made by the Porsche engineers back in the early '90s....

as far as how far you want to mod one of our cars, most of that comes from a "glass half full" rather than empty philosophy. i recognize the benefits of keeping cars "virgin" vs modded to the limit.

there is no "right" answer. the cars come pretty damn good from the factory. for me, the mild changes i've made to my car add up, in terms of the overall enjoyment factor considering i'm logging 30~35 thousand miles per year...

when you saw my car last, the exhaust was still a work in progress. not-so-good. i would love to show the jersey boys how it presently sounds. our engines are fairly large, and this exhaust makes the engine sound bigger.

outside from a few annoying vibrations akin to the variocam, and having to add ps fluid, the car is a joy.

you all, speaking of upgrades, this amazing car sold yesterday.

he did a price drop to $ 12 K so i decided to buy it. but, when i returned once more to the thread (on pelican), for his contact info, i discovered he had sold the car a few hours earlier.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...filiation.html

some rolled loud....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkLjC...eature=related

https://rennlist.com/forums/carrera-...ml#post8033037

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUK...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by odurandina; 12-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 959Lover
Woah woah woah, easy there skipper, no need to get butthurt. And it should be everyone's business when progressive states like California enact an emissions program for the benefit of the WORLD.
Oh lawd oh lawd, thank the lawd for CALIFORNIA, all those progressives gonna save the WORLD!

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. I've seen what "progressives" do, I'd rather live in a world without them.

You need to get out of your box my friend since there are people around you that may not care for you, your children, or your children's children, but they're doing things to improve your/their futures. NOT doing your part is anti-American.
Do my part, or I'm anti-American? What gives you the right to say that you know what "my part" is to do? Will it be my turn next, do I get to tell you what Your Part is that you have to do? Or am I not enlightened by the Holy Scriptures of The One True Gore?

The dealers weren't forced to buy the cars from the people, they had incentive. If they wanted to outright buy the car from people and tune it and resell it was completely under their jurisdiction, just that they wanted to get money and take older cars off the road. It's like you're saying you ordered delivery pizza and had to pay for their delivery. Well, duh. If you want it delivered you either have to pay them or a friend. If you want to participate in CARS, the dealer has to participate in the program or pay you the same you'd get from the program and try to resell the car themselves rather than junk it.
Your analogy doesn't even fit the situation.

If you need to understand this program through an analogy of feeding yourself, this actually fits:

If you want to buy groceries to feed your family for a week, you can go to the store and give them $100 and they will give you a week's worth of food. However, your local sheriff's office is running a new program, where they will be happy to break down your neighbor's front door, steal $100 out of his wallet, and buy the groceries for you! All you have to do to participate is empty out the three days' worth of perfectly good food in your fridge and throw it in the dumpster. This is a GOOD THING because you get free food and the Malaysian corporation that grew it will make lots of money. DO YOUR PART!

Of course, your grocery store is welcome to refuse to accept your neighbor's stolen money, and instead give you $100 worth of groceries if only you will give them your leftovers instead of throwing them away.

Then why are you referring to it when discussing 968 emissions?
Because unburnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in "968 emissions" are exactly the same thing as unburnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in "TR6 emissions" or "Challenger emissions", except they are many, many orders of magnitude less abundant; however, you choose to attack the insignificant source because you know that everybody will scoff if you attack the significant source. Why not go after an easy target?

It's elementary my dear Watson. If you couldn't catch it, I don't know what to say. I think you should be more concerned about what you are saying than what I am, since it seems like you couldn't draw the intelligible deduction and see your thought all the way through.
Indulge in magical thinking all you want, but I'm not taking responsibility for it, so please try to keep it out of any discussions we may have.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
odurandina, so now you're saying you removed your cat to save weight? Come on... I've held cats that weigh little more than pipe.
Find me a cat that weighs no more than its length in thin wall pipe, and flows the same, then buy it and install it for me (or buy me a MIG welder, I'll do it myself). I'll happily run it until the high-ZDDP Mobil 1 0W-50 kills it. Then please buy me another one. I will continue to run them for as long as you enjoy our arrangement.

JDS, it is completely my business if a) you post it on a forum I read
Fair enough, as a user of the same message board, you get to comment all you like on how I configure my car. I will give your opinion all due consideration afforded by your status as an internet message board poster.

b) it affects me (the air I breathe).
If you really believe that San Francisco's air quality problems come from anything happening in Miami, you've been spending too much time listening to Al Gore or Greenpeace or who knows what. It's one thing to say that you don't like how my car smells, it's another thing entirely to claim that you can smell it from 3000 miles away.

Cheap shots like calling me a communist hurt you more than me.
Sorry, but you seem quite comfortable with the idea of the Federal government appropriating personal property for whatever unauthorized purposes it sees fit. That bothers the hell out of me.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Does it? I assumed it was still batch fired.
Yes, the 968 was upgraded from L-Jetronic (which I believe is batch fire) to Motronic M2.10.1 with sequential injection. Link
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDS- agreed all around
Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy you a MIG welder?
I didn't say there's a cat that weighs the same as pipe, I said they weigh little more. Check out Summit Racing.

See, one difference between you and I is that I care about more than just San Francisco. I also care about Miami, and every atom of this glorious world we were given. I may not smell your pollution but it still harms my planet.

If you're referring to cash for clunkers, then the government only appropriated whatever it was given. I didn't give any of my cars away, and they never tried to take them.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

JDS, you killed it... anyway, that effin' exhaust with the stupid double pipe was insane. you're talking (2 X π X 2) vs (2.5 X π) for 2.5" single pipe. REALLY DUMB... (you tame those vibrations by adding resonators imaho). couldn't install a borla on it. couldn't install a maxflow. couldn't do **** with it.... and why the hell did my car go 22 mph faster once i ****canned it ? the effin' cat only had 80 k miles on it. can't tell me the zddp slipped through the cracks and killed it that fast. ok, maybe. it's might be a good design in terms of calming those vibrations, but a great design, it is not.

anyway those Mobil 1 oils with no zddp. go see what JDS put up on "oilwars."... that's an effin' hot one.

that racing oil will blast a cat in about 2 weeks with all that good stuff oooozing out.

f_ckin' A bubba ! and this is a car forum dammit, not the Al Gore seminary.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Buy you a MIG welder?
It's almost Christmas after all

I didn't say there's a cat that weighs the same as pipe, I said they weigh little more. Check out Summit Racing.
They list over 5000 of them and don't include "sort by weight"; post a link and we'll talk.

See, one difference between you and I is that I care about more than just San Francisco. I also care about Miami, and every atom of this glorious world we were given. I may not smell your pollution but it still harms my planet.
In that case, you really should come visit Miami, or all of Florida while you're at it. We don't have very many progressives here, but we seem to be doing quite well. In fact, the planet as a whole seems to be getting along just fine. So smile!

If you're referring to cash for clunkers, then the government only appropriated whatever it was given. I didn't give any of my cars away, and they never tried to take them.
I was referring to your implication that we as citizens had to choose between the two options of Cash for Clunkers, or the government unconstitutionally seizing privately owned vehicles.

Originally Posted by odurandina
JDS, you killed it...
Killed...what? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

why the hell did my car go 22 mph faster once i ****canned it ?
Because sometimes catalysts disintegrate and clog themselves up early. They're not perfect, you know, and their failure mode is always the same...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

this one came with some serious upgrades built in....

rare, iris blue, 993 seats, w/ LSD !!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

this is one of the most beautiful 968s i've ever seen.

let's see... to mod or not to mod ? there is no correct answer....

some dream mods i would love to see on masterpiece such as this...

1. matching blue 996 wheel, leatherette airbag.

2. 997 shift **** (blue on aluminum).

3. 993 Xenon Litronic headlamps @ 35w 6,000 K lowbeam, 55w 4,000 K highbeam.

4. 928 GTS big blacks. (yep, leave black) w/ Carl Fausett's custom GTS slotted rotors.

5. proper 9X18 front, 255 35 18 Pilot Sport 2, 18X10 rear, 275 35 18... (& with the heavy front brakes, say "bye" to understeer).

6. Turbo S front splitter in matching Iris Blue.

7. vastly improved compact sound system.

8. Carl Fausett, 928 Motorsports stage 2 supercharger.

9. (optional) cf bezel ring set *(the really nice one from Porscheshop).

don't know if you guys love the idea of bezel rings w/ cf back, or the shift ****, but i think the rest of these mods would be super-nice add-ons that would help make this incredible 968 even better.

Attached Images    

Last edited by odurandina; 12-07-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Christmas came a few weeks late. but it appears the wait was well worth it.

i would like to add this amazing 968/993 headlamp/fender project now completed by the good folks at Deutch-Nine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...version-2.html

Originally Posted by JDS968

Because sometimes catalysts disintegrate and clog themselves up early. They're not perfect, you know, and their failure mode is always the same...

what might have killed my cat was all that so-called crap, "they took out all the ZDDP years ago," Mobil 1 oil.... FAIL (not you of course)--- the Mobil 1 products that we're likely to put in our cars ARE indeed loaded with the stuff, and this may have sped up the demise of my cat.

Mobil 1 high zddp oils include but are not limited to:

0w-40
10w-40 High Mileage
0w-50 Racing Oil
5w-50
15w-50 !!!!
all the extended life oils.

/
Attached Images    

Last edited by odurandina; 01-12-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default wanted to post a couple of cars.....

things seemed kinda quiet around these parts the past few weeks,

so i figured i'd post a couple of interesting cars....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iR2s...eature=related

and just in case, maybe you haven't seen this...

looks like a nice Kelly Moss (wisconsin) conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKvg2pnZhk
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

you'll never guess what i just picked up on ebay.....

(see photo below)

/
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

nice! Did you get just the one issue? ive thought about getting back issued mags but thats a sliiiiippery slope!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I'm diggin the navy carpet on this interior. That's gotta be a rare combination.

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....