968 Forum 1992-1995

tachometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tachometer issue

my tach doesnt work...i tried tapping it but no dice, I tried to pull out the gauge but its too tight (will research on tips first), just tried pulling the connectors in the back but also didnt work...

in fact, my oil check light came out, tried fiddling with it and got it to work again but the indicator for the tranny position is now weak (on and off), guess I need to remove the gauge to refit connectors properly...which connector controls the tranny indicators so i know which one to focus on?

thanks in advance...need help so I can start enjoying this car
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be able to remove the instrument cluster with the airbag on. If you angle it just right, it's possible. Give it another try. Make sure you disconnect all 3 connectors in the back 1st and try not to break the tabs .
Raj
Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 AM
jlasuncion
Instructor

got the cluster out, so much easier with the steering wheel out of the way, 2 of the tabs are broken already and you guys forgot to mention the additional 2 connectors that i think is wired to the tach asides from the 3 connectors on the cluster...

so now that its out, any tips on trying to make the tach work and lights on tiptronic position come out better?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That could be a tiptronic thing, the additional two connectors. Most here have 6 speeds so we are not aware of additional connections on the tiptronic cars.
As far as tach, I would say start by cleaning the contacts. You should be able to twist the light sockets out of the cluster.
Raj
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

J- IF you get stuck I have a running tip parts coupe with the cluster for troubleshooting or if you need a working cluster. Also the tach can be replaced in the cluster with just a little patience. I have a spare one of those also I think.

Like Raj says- clean contacts and check the connectors too. The bulbs you should be able to see but if they are intermitten I would gues most likely connections.

This is daja voo- Did you post this somewhere else---- anyway

Cheers, Mike
Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Tip does have extra connectors. My tach stopped working for a short time, but when I removed the connector and re-connected, it worked again.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 AM
jlasuncion
Instructor

@notthd--yup I posted earlier...looks like i might be needing your assistance soon, I got everything to work again and improve the lighting (3w and reflective stickers), sadly the tach still down. Its really the first time I got to drive the car around and will continue to use it a bit in the hopes the tach might work again. If not, I will be sending you a PM

@968guy--which connector is the one connected to the tach?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
968 GUY
Racer

I believe it is the vertical one plugged into the side of the gauge cluster. Right side.

Quick Reply: tachometer issue