968 Forum 1992-1995

oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 AM
roccap
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump

I'm trying to track down an oil leak. I have traced it to one of two locations.
Either the o-ring at the back of the lower balance shaft cover or the left hand side of the oil pump.
I think its the bs cover, the o-ring was pretty hard and deformed, but I don't want to put all the belts back on and find its from the pump.
So 2 questions:
are leaks from the left hand side of the oil pump common?
can I take off the pump without dropping the oil pan?

Any advice much appreciated.

TIA

Paul
Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts
Default welcome to slagger's pub...

hard to diagnose the source of your oil leaks without getting under there and cleaning... upon the removal of your belly pan, you'll likely see oil in more than one place.... i haven't a clue where the oil is coming from. but the guys here will probably know....

refined petrolium products leaking everywhere is fairly routine when you drive the car hard as i do... usual suspects, valve cover gasket, pan gasket, gaskets i can't name, oil cooler, lines, seals, valves, rings..... ps fluid spewing all over mother earth... hell, they even figured out a way to lose transaxle oil in some of the cars... that's what a 968 does. soon you'l be able to bask in the glory of fewer oil changes once the gusher really gets going.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Porsche%20968

the long-term fix is to rid yourself of that pee-shooter and get yourself one of these (that your tax dollars helped pay for).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...Q5fAccessories

love the cars, and the guys on this forum rip. the engines, are amazing but, the quality around the margins is straight P-car CRAP. i know this didn't help but welcome to slaggers. we even talk about fema camps here on Rennlist.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 PM
roccap
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said I have tracked the leak down to one of 2 locations, back of balance shaft or oil pump. This involved getting the belly pan, covers, belts etc off.
FYI apart from this one leak, which started recently, my 968 is completely oil-tight :-)
Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the long-term fix is to rid yourself of that pee-shooter and get yourself one of these (that your tax dollars helped pay for).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...Q5fAccessories
Do you also suggest a heart transplant to treat a heart murmur?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to do the oil pump without dropping the pan. Oil pump leaks are not that common. Oil pumps are sealed using locktite 574. As you suggested, most probably the lower bs housing O'ring or seal.
I would start with 1st cleaning the entire front of the engine and then see where the oil seaps from.
Raj
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a 968 engine. It is, at best 15 yrs old and most 15 old engines will leaks around rubber gaskets and seals. I doubt a Chevy would be dry after 15 yrs as well.
Raj
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never seen an oil pump leak. I have had the rear BS o-ring leak on every one of my cars and all my friends' cars.

The easiest solution is to smear gray silicone (gasket maker) over the gap where the o-ring is supposed to be. Of course you clean that area first. The silicone will stop the leak and hold for a very long time, until you have a chance to properly replace the o-ring (if you want to).
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean up the front of the motor and put some oil dye in you motor when your close to an oil change to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. It is more than likely the balance shaft housing, but could be oil pan also.

Quick Reply: oil pump