968 Forum 1992-1995

Small oil leak due to non-use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small oil leak due to non-use?

Around Christmas, I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor where there hadn't been the previous 8 months of ownership. I took the car for a drive and checked when I got back and saw a drip come off the lower chassis brace. Only 1-2 drips max but still wondering where it came from.

Since then, the dripping has stopped and everything is dry again. The only difference I can think of during the time it was dripping was I was gone ~ 2 weeks where the car didn't get driven at all. Ever since I purchased the car, it hadn't gone more than a couple days without being driven.

While it's nice the dripping is gone and I don't plan on the car not being driven that long (got to love Cal weather), I'd like to know if this is a common leak or should it be investigated more?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to know what it might be and the cause. I like to know what is going on with the car, so I'd want to trace the leak. It might be as easy as tightening a bolt on a cover, or it could be a lot more complicated. Benefit of identifying the cause is that you can plan when to deal with it, either now, or a year from now if it isn't anything significant or urgent.

Quick Reply: Small oil leak due to non-use?