968 Forum 1992-1995

Production # question for Jeff

Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Matt, is the car out of Danbury Porsche? Years ago, while attending a CVR meeting there I saw a beautiful black M030.
Jeff
Yes, it did. Alan Coleman from Dayton, OH bought it from them and had it out there (in service date was late 1994). Alan traded/wholesaled it to a BMW dealer in Dayton. Right when I was looking, Alan saw the post of me searching for a 968 with a M030 and slip and contacted me pointing me to the dealership. They were not really interested in it and said they'd sell it to me for what they were going to wholesale it for. I think my purchase price was $33.5k.

My wife and I flew out on a Sunday to Dayton (tossed the return trip tix) and stayed at a Residence Inn next to the dealership separated by a chain link fence. We wandered to the dealership (closed Sunday) and could see it inside a garage.

Next morning at 9 AM go in and swap paper for money and off we go to bring the car back to Connecticut.

I should note almost every weekend in January and February of '96 had snow fall. We traveled the one weekend it did not.

So about five miles out of Dayton, I am looking at the outside air temp display and see it going between 32° and 33°. I happen to move into the left lane. Not the best choice as I got a little tail wag. Not the time to bash the VERY new to me car.

Ten hours back to home. Fun drive. Cool car. Fast foward two and a half years and a SCCA Autocross National Championship. Good car!!!

Originally Posted by Fox944
especially considering the fact that ride quality is compromised with the M030.
Compromised?! I think not. I call that "enhanced." But wadda I know.

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
And while it's nice to have the MO30 stamped in your options page, you can better the suspension and brakes with aftermarket upgrades easily enough yourself.
Didnt you say some people consider a '95 M030 car a grail car just a few posts up? you sure can get better aftermarket upgrades.
The hubs alone from the M030 aren't something you can just grab from aftermarket. Shocks are about the only thing that can be improved from the original car (JRZ/Mouton/etc.). The sway bars, springs, etc. were/are really well tuned to that car and chassis. I'd love to grab a nice M030-slip car and bring it to SCCA Solo levels would be real fun. Anyone with a M030-slip car need a co-drive?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Murray
Yes, it did. Alan Coleman from Dayton, OH bought it from them and had it out there (in service date was late 1994). Alan traded/wholesaled it to a BMW dealer in Dayton. Right when I was looking, Alan saw the post of me searching for a 968 with a M030 and slip and contacted me pointing me to the dealership. They were not really interested in it and said they'd sell it to me for what they were going to wholesale it for. I think my purchase price was $33.5k.

My wife and I flew out on a Sunday to Dayton (tossed the return trip tix) and stayed at a Residence Inn next to the dealership separated by a chain link fence. We wandered to the dealership (closed Sunday) and could see it inside a garage.

Next morning at 9 AM go in and swap paper for money and off we go to bring the car back to Connecticut.

I should note almost every weekend in January and February of '96 had snow fall. We traveled the one weekend it did not.

So about five miles out of Dayton, I am looking at the outside air temp display and see it going between 32° and 33°. I happen to move into the left lane. Not the best choice as I got a little tail wag. Not the time to bash the VERY new to me car.

Ten hours back to home. Fun drive. Cool car. Fast foward two and a half years and a SCCA Autocross National Championship. Good car!!!

Compromised?! I think not. I call that "enhanced." But wadda I know.

The hubs alone from the M030 aren't something you can just grab from aftermarket. Shocks are about the only thing that can be improved from the original car (JRZ/Mouton/etc.). The sway bars, springs, etc. were/are really well tuned to that car and chassis. I'd love to grab a nice M030-slip car and bring it to SCCA Solo levels would be real fun. Anyone with a M030-slip car need a co-drive?
Weren't the hubs just needed for the Big Blacks? Big Red upgrades don't need the MO30 hubs. Rears are the same but with cross drilled rotors, which are easy to get. All the rest of the suspension stuff is pay to play.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great package. But like the RS America's you can replicate the car from a stock 964 and save some cash-and there you're dealing with a 'name' model vs an option code so there is a bit of difference. I drove the green MO30 car years ago and drifted it on the throttle, going uphill. Very confidence inspiring with great balance.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Murray
Links please?
Stepping out, will post links for you when i get back..although i may get banned for "Shilling" yet again.

Originally Posted by damian
And I totally disagree about track/non tracked cars. Just because a DE car has to pass tech before hitting a track doesn't mean it's better cared for than a normally used car. There are just as many well kept 'weekend' cars as DE/tracked cars.
Nor does it mean a the normally used car is better cared for. And i dont consider a garage queen a normally used car. I consider it furniture.

Cars used in DE are also typically card for as they are owned by enthusiasts. Obviously this isnt always true. a good PPI will reveal if the car is in good shape or not. And like i said, i'd rather buy a repainted car then one that needs to be repainted. Savs me the trouble, granted the paint job is in great shape. And of course, all else being equal, i'd rather have an original paint car (granted the paint is in great shape).

Don't get me wrong, it's a great package. But like the RS America's you can replicate the car from a stock 964 and save some cash-and there you're dealing with a 'name' model vs an option code so there is a bit of difference. I drove the green MO30 car years ago and drifted it on the throttle, going uphill. Very confidence inspiring with great balance.
And then you have a non original car which may handle better, but is still worth ess then an original M030 or RS America(all else being equal)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stepping out, will post links for you when i get back..although i may get banned for "Shilling" yet again.

Nor does it mean a the normally used car is better cared for. And i dont consider a garage queen a normally used car. I consider it furniture.

Cars used in DE are also typically card for as they are owned by enthusiasts. Obviously this isnt always true. a good PPI will reveal if the car is in good shape or not. And like i said, i'd rather buy a repainted car then one that needs to be repainted. Savs me the trouble, granted the paint job is in great shape. And of course, all else being equal, i'd rather have an original paint car (granted the paint is in great shape).

And then you have a non original car which may handle better, but is still worth ess then an original M030 or RS America(all else being equal)
But you've paid less to get the car, so the value may be identical.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Send via PM if you don't want to shill.

In the *real* Rennlist (nee Reutterwerks, the original listserv that John Dunkle ran when y'all were still in diapers!) this afternoon someone just posted about a RS America for sale on Craig's in Seattle by Chad Henry (a 'nother old timer):
Posting this for a friend.

He's got a black 93 RS America up for sale. 38k miles, LSD, radio, red door pulls and belts, no sunroof, no A/C. Factory lightweight clutch and flywheel.

Added H&R Euro springs, full exhaust (headers, high flow cats, mufflers, dual tips), ported intake. Has the original exhaust still if buyer wants it.

He's asking $44,750. Pics up on craigslist at http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1656994020.html. Car is located in Seattle.

His cell # is in the CL ad. I can provide is email address also if anyone is interested.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

But you've paid less to get the car, so the value may be identical.
depends on purchase price and how much you spend on suspension, installation, & re alignment. Just looking at suspension, i swapped my shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, and added 3 braces, plus a custom alignment. car + suspension/labor = i could have bought an M030. factor in upgraded brakes front and rear, and now you surpass the price of an M030 car, yet your car is still worth less on the market and is not original.

In any event, no need to argue semantics and go back and fourth. M030s are great cars and there are a couple great examples for sale which was my point to begin with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Production # question for Jeff