968 Forum 1992-1995

How do you enter a Porsche radio code

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default How do you enter a Porsche radio code

I got myself a CD2!!! But I don't know how to enter the security code. I'm not sure if it is the same process as the CR1. Does anyone know? Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, CDR-220 page,
but it should be close... Donn
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Donn,
Thanks, but the CR2 only has 6 station buttons so there has to be another way. I got a code from the dealer but it has a 9 in it so how would that work?

It looks like this:

Name:  cd-2.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  21.1 KB

Jeff

Last edited by jeff968; 12-16-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sure its the right code? The CR1 only had six buttons too.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Miami968
8th Gear

Hi Jeff,

How are you? I just picked up one of these CD-2 units myself for my 968 that has the standard issue CR-1 from the factory. Did you figure a way to get the security code? Unfortunately, I don't have the donor car's VIN but I understand it can be deciphered from the CD-2's embossed serial number on the metal side casing. Also, my car has the factory-original CR-1 unit currently with a description on the window sticker of option code of "P05 Radio with Cassette with Amplifier" although I don't have the factory upgraded HiFi system upgrade based on your decoding of my VIN you sent me when I joined your 968register a few months ago. I'm wondering if my CR-1 has an external amp as I've read the CD-2 has absolutely no internal powered amp of it's on (it's simply an "input" head unit interface and all the amplified power supplied by an external amp found elsewhere in the car. Where does my factory installed CR-1 amp "live" and how to I tie it into my new CD-2? I assume the harnesses are all plug-n-play between the 2 units as the car came with either the CR-1 or CD-2 so I can't imagine a ton of differences in the wiring harness between the two units. I hope you can shed some light on how this all connects and how you figured out your correct CD-2 unlock code and integrated it into your CR-1 system's wiring/amp. Thanks in advance your your always excellent input. Best, Joe (joemeek@gmail.com)
Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Miami968
8th Gear

Default CR-1 to CD-2

Originally Posted by jeff968
Donn,
Thanks, but the CR2 only has 6 station buttons so there has to be another way. I got a code from the dealer but it has a 9 in it so how would that work?

It looks like this:

Jeff
i Jeff,

How are you? I just picked up one of these CD-2 units myself for my 968 that has the standard issue CR-1 from the factory. Did you figure a way to get the security code? Unfortunately, I don't have the donor car's VIN but I understand it can be deciphered from the CD-2's embossed serial number on the metal side casing. Also, my car has the factory-original CR-1 unit currently with a description on the window sticker of option code of "P05 Radio with Cassette with Amplifier" although I don't have the factory upgraded HiFi system upgrade based on your decoding of my VIN you sent me when I joined your 968register a few months ago. I'm wondering if my CR-1 has an external amp as I've read the CD-2 has absolutely no internal powered amp of it's on (it's simply an "input" head unit interface and all the amplified power supplied by an external amp found elsewhere in the car. Where does my factory installed CR-1 amp "live" and how to I tie it into my new CD-2? I assume the harnesses are all plug-n-play between the 2 units as the car came with either the CR-1 or CD-2 so I can't imagine a ton of differences in the wiring harness between the two units. I hope you can shed some light on how this all connects and how you figured out your correct CD-2 unlock code and integrated it into your CR-1 system's wiring/amp. Thanks in advance your your always excellent input. Best, Joe (joemeek@gmail.com)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:52 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Hi Joe,

I was able to locate a guy on this site (Rader) who had an audio place in CA. I sent him the radio and he was able to pull the code. I haven't heard from him in years but I would think if you found a good shop they should be able to do it. Check pano.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your other questions but I'll tell you what I know.
  • Both of my 968s are 490 hi-fi sound cars. So once I got the correct radio it plugged in and worked.
  • The amps are located under the seats.
  • Every early 968 that has the CD-2 option code 691 has the 490 hi-fi sound with amps option.
  • Porsche changed manufactures of the CD-2 with the later cars (alpine?).
  • The option code of the later CD-2 is 694.
  • Not every 968 that has 694 has 490 so does that mean the later model does have amp?
  • Which CD-2 do you have?
  • The 968 technical model year books have good info on this. I only have the 1992.
Good luck and keep me posted.

Jeff

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Miami968
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jeff968
Hi Joe,

I was able to locate a guy on this site (Rader) who had an audio place in CA. I sent him the radio and he was able to pull the code. I haven't heard from him in years but I would think if you found a good shop they should be able to do it. Check pano.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your other questions but I'll tell you what I know.
  • Both of my 968s are 490 hi-fi sound cars. So once I got the correct radio it plugged in and worked.
  • The amps are located under the seats.
  • Every early 968 that has the CD-2 option code 691 has the 490 hi-fi sound with amps option.
  • Porsche changed manufactures of the CD-2 with the later cars (alpine?).
  • The option code of the later CD-2 is 694.
  • Not every 968 that has 694 has 490 so does that mean the later model does have amp?
  • Which CD-2 do you have?
  • The 968 technical model year books have good info on this. I only have the 1992.
Good luck and keep me posted.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your thorough reply as always! I believe I have the Alpine unit. I've sent it in to Alpine to get the CDs to play again and to hopefully receive the code. I'll let you know what they say about having an onboard amp - it must as it's pretty heavy just to have A CD drive and some circuitry. I really just want to make sure it's 100% operational as it's in excellent cosmetic shape and sell it for a profit. It's silly what these and the CR-1s like mine in great shape are are going for now by people wanting to take those horrific blue LED/chrome units that look like a StarTrek command console out of their beautifully understated and "Business" Porsche interiors to put back in the original stereos - exactly what the designers spent months on making sure they harmonized perfectly with the rest of their well-designed interiors. Thanks, again, Jeff!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Joe,
MY CD player does not work but my tuner does. I added a hidden RF-modulator for my Ipod which works great. Yes, it is circa-1992 sound ($1347 worth with hi-fi sound and amps) but it does the job.
Jeff

Quick Reply: How do you enter a Porsche radio code