Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

installing the front of a 997 to my 968 - need advice on plastics

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that it needs now is the opening in the top of the bumper opened. Similar to the 968 turbo. This would help balance the larger opening in the bumper below it. Looks amazing..great job!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Well the picture above highlights pretty much (one of the reasons) why I don't like he 997 - the upper edge of the bumper is not further up front than the bottom edge, where the splitter is.
IMO, it doesn't work on a 944/968 as the "belt" level of the bodywork on our cars is higher than on 911s which have, since the 996, this naturally "glued-to-the-road"/"conical" stance. As I see it, this design has been more or less dictated throughout the last years by their fat, disgracious a$$. Our cars don't as the belt sits higher and we are lucky to have a more subtle and better balanced rear end shapes.

See the picture below.
The 3 openings would look better IMO if they came back backwards inside the car a little (green line), at this point they make the front enf look a bit too vertical (red line).

I hope this makes sense!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thom; 07-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

before the final verdict is in, consider that the photos from a few days ago were just rough sanding.... add to that, the driveway is too wavy to make proper photos. the lawn, even worse. and, i gotta finish this; get the grills on, some mock up paint, get on flat concrete at the airport in the right light, etc.

who knows, we may end up disliking the final result less.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

**** on the nay-sayers. That really does look factory and it will do what you designed it to for the high speed splitter/downforce job. These cars need updates here and there (including the engine LOL). After 20+ years the foam rubber wing on the 944 flutters at you above 120mph and the flag mirrors aren't very aerodynamic either, the reason they got tossed as well.....Keep on moddin'....

Here's what I'm doing before Gabe gets ahold of the beast for paint....

Last edited by xschop; 07-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by odurandina
before the final verdict is in, consider that the photos from a few days ago were just rough sanding.... add to that, the driveway is too wavy to make proper photos. the lawn, even worse. and, i gotta finish this; get the grills on, some mock up paint, get on flat concrete at the airport in the right light, etc.

who knows, we may end up disliking the final result less.
Whatever comes out of it it's your car and it would be a bit sad if you disliked the result after all the work you will have put into it.

By the way, I was trying to give constructive criticism. I hope my posts didn't come across you as a bit harsh.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Thom

The 3 openings would look better IMO if they came back backwards inside the car a little (green line), at this point they make the front end look a bit too vertical (red line).

I hope this makes sense!

no thanks. al contrario. this is 80 % of the reason i did it. the hideous horizontal bars and the fear of the batwing coming off the car past 170 mph are 2 other reasons for doing this. happy to say i'm not going back there again.

By the way, I was trying to give constructive criticism. I hope my posts didn't come across you as a bit harsh.

that's totally cool. if you post a thread where you change the look of the front end of a Porsche, you better not be too thin skinned. you're going to **** a few people off. as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i wanted to do some updates on my car and i'm pretty blunt about it. we have a lot of purists on the 968 forums. and their opionion of leaving well enough alone is fair (and valid). even if they're wrong !

Whatever comes out of it it's your car and it would be a bit sad if you disliked the result after all the work you will have put into it.

no regrets whatsoever. i had got the scupting done and was coming out of walmart night before last... and still a ways back, a bit forward of the nose. i got up to about maybe 150 feet from the car... and it was like, 'wow. if the Rennlisters could see this.' from every angle, i think it looks good. but this is not an objective opinion.

i hear a few people talk about how the new 911s are ugly.

i don't share this opinion. in a few days, i'll go back and take some 'better' pics (at Walmart).
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

i hear a few people talk about how the new 911s are ugly. i don't share this opinion.
This is correct - it's not only the new ones, they have actually been ugly since the very beginning

Anyway, we will agree to disagree I suppose!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

no regrets whatsoever. i had got the scupting done and was coming out of walmart night before last... and still a ways back, a bit forward of the nose. i got up to about maybe 150 feet from the car... and it was like, 'wow. if the Rennlisters could see this.' from every angle, i think it looks good. but this is not an objective opinion.
I think we've all had that moment, walking towards our cars from some distance thinking, "damn that looks good!" Of course you have even more right since you MADE the front end!! way to go Allan, i think it looks perfect!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

wow. thanks a lot !

Thom,

i like the 993 a lot. more than the 996. but i still give the nod to the 997.
after installing the new grill work, should i go all the way and include the fins and splitter?

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 07-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Thom
Race Car

Well, it looks terrible IMO, but if you like it then go for it!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Will that splitter fit?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

no. but thanks to florida surfer Greg Loehr and Resin Research, modding epoxy and CF ain't but a thing. his epoxy resins can be found in everything from surfboards, F-1 cars, your neighborhood exotics etc....

he even called me one day when i was taking clients at my surf camp in mexico.

http://www.surfline.com/surfing-a-to...nd-photos_849/

http://www.resinresearch.net/
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
SDDave
Advanced

hmmm.... stumbled upon this, uh, 'elsewhere'
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

wowwwwwwww.

that is very nice, uhhh, in an unsettling sort of way.

and Oak or Aventerine Green?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Not sure... but here's another one, to show profile (since it was discussed earlier)
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing the front of a 997 to my 968 - need advice on plastics