968 Forum 1992-1995

She's ruff, but she's mine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's ruff, but she's mine

Well I jumped on the bandwagon it seems, and bought me a 94 968. Went down and picked it up yesterday. Made the 3 hr trip home no problem. It's not real pretty and needs lots of body work/paint, but it runs pretty darn good. It also needs lots of little stuff, but the price was right. I looked it over pretty good yesterday, and today I start fixing stuff. I'm sure I'll be here picking brains a lot more since my limited experience is on my 951. I sure like the looks of the 968!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congratulations!

By the description of it, did you pick up the red $4k 968 in Roseville?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Thats the one.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want some advice on removing and installing all the side trim, bumpers, and headlight assemblies just ask. Lots of good guys here who love to help clear foggy issues up about what to do and not to do when removing and replacing things for a good respray! You can save alot of money if you remove all seals, mirrors, door handles, rear hatch, bumpers, side lower ground effects. Its very easy to do and just takes a few 4 hour days to get it all off. Then you can tow it to the paint shop and they just have to tape it off and start prepping the body for sealer. While there doing that you purchase all new seals, piping for body parts and the special hardware needed for re-installing everything. All this can be done for less than $3K with a lot of elbow grease and a few bloody knuckles. Take lots of pictures, and keep us informed. Have fun and good luck, Welcome
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Bomber
Instructor

Funny you should mention bodywork. I hadn't planned on getting into that yet, but by the end of the day I had the tools on the floor, and the compressor singing. The worst of the work is both quarters. I got most of the bondo off of them and started beatin' panels. Drivers side is coming along good, but I'll need to break out the stud welder tomorrow. I need to order a couple mechanical parts in the morning, but they'll need time to get here so I should be able to spend the week on the body. I didn't need another car, but man I love this crap
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is an addiction.
Enjoy!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

pics or it didn't happen
Old 08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have to order parts 1/2 of the time the factory stuff is cheaper and much better quality in regards to fitment. The other half of the stuff is only a few dollars more but man do really get what you pay for. You have to call this place and talk to Porsche parts department they are very helpfulll and can run down your parts list to see prices. Sunset Porsche 1(800)3460182
Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
pics or it didn't happen
I hope the original poster (OP) doesn't mind -- but I believe this is the eBay auction and the pictures are still here:
old eBay link.
This car was seen on craigslist for $5k (and later dropped to $4k) and was discussed on another forums. At the time, the ad mentioned it had LSD as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

pics or ban !
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Yep, that's my car and no, I don't mind at all. I'd have done it if I knew how. As far as LSD, that's a no go. There wasn't much "extra" stuff with the car, ie owners manual, top cover, hatch cover, paperwork and so on, but oh well. It would have been nice to get all that (and the wheel lock socket) but it wasn't a deal killer.

boost feen, your the second person that's mentioned buying from the dealer. I have Sunset bookmarked, but I can't surf around on their website and I've never called for prices since I don't know what they have. Plus I wouldn't have imagined a dealer would be competative. I'll give them a shot.

There are a couple things i'm going to need that I don't even know the name of, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
1. The plastic "mesh" in front below inlet above batwing
2. The rubber "welt" between the body and panels(around rear, skirts, and nose)

Looks like I may be ripping the panels off sooner than I thought. Other than the clutch slave (ordered this morning) this car is in suprisingly good condition mechanically. It does grind going into second if you try and shift too fast. It will need to get fixed at some point, but its fine to drive around as is for now. I guess if I feel the need for rippin' gears I'll have to jump in the 951 (snif,snif)
Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

can't believe he put that picture of the key, its begging to be copied and stolen

Quick Reply: She's ruff, but she's mine