968 Forum 1992-1995

Steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
joemoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel replacement

Does anyone know if a 964 steering wheel will fit on a 968?

I have a classic gray interior and have been able to find a classic gray club sport wheel. I believe Porsche lists it for a 89-94 Carrera. I was told that it would fit. This is a different part number than the 968 club sport wheel which only comes in black.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a 968 steering wheel to a guy with a 964 that he used, so I believe it will work. I have the black CS wheel with my classic grey interior.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
joemoc
Rennlist Member

Thanks Stephen,

The black looks good with the classic gray. Maybe I should do the same. Shipping from Germany between time freight restocking fees, etc if it doesn't work may not be worth the effort.

Did you have any spacing issues between the wheel and the dash? I was wondering if the wheel can be moved any closer to the driver with a spacer.

Joe
Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joemoc
This is a different part number than the 968 club sport wheel which only comes in black..

The 968 Tequipement (club sport) steering wheel was actually available in many colors. Black, Blue, Burgundy, Grey. All colors are long out of production and nearly impossible to find new. I tried hard to find a blue one for my car and ended up buying a black wheel. They all have different part #'s, as they are different colors.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I know they will fit- I recently installed a MOMO wheel and the adapter will fit late model 911s, 944s, 964, 993, and eairly boxsters... I was suprised.

Cheers, Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CS wheel fits with no mods at all, just use a 3ohm resistor to fool the airbag and you're good to go!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
The CS wheel fits with no mods at all, just use a 3ohm resistor to fool the airbag and you're good to go!
In addition to the hub & resistor, an extra connector is also needed if he'd like a functioning horn.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
future
Banned

All colors are long out of production and nearly impossible to find new.
This is a wrong statement mate as is "Tequipement". The company that made the CS wheel is still making steering wheels for Porsche. Porsche do not make there own steering wheels - Another company in Germany does as well as making all Steering wheels for Aston Martin to mention only one , they out source
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
future
Banned

yes this will fit
Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by future
This is a wrong statement mate as is "Tequipement". The company that made the CS wheel is still making steering wheels for Porsche. Porsche do not make there own steering wheels - Another company in Germany does as well as making all Steering wheels for Aston Martin to mention only one , they out source
we will have to agree to disagree then. These steering wheels are found in the Tequipement catalogue for the 968. I tried to get a Blue one and spoke with two different dealerships (Sunset Porsche & Pepe Porsche) as well as an outlet that sells Porsche parts. All gave me the same response. The steering wheels are out of production, there are none in the states & none in Germany. The only color still available and in production is Black.

If this information is wrong, then find me a brand new midnight Blue CS steering wheel (which is listed in the tequipement catalogue).
Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
future
Banned

steering wheel was actually available in many colors. Black, Blue, Burgundy, Grey. All colors are long out of production and nearly impossible to find new
See here mate: http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...sche_momo.html

Get a Blue one direct from the manufacturers here: http://www.atiwe-rdi.com/englisch2/home.htm

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

they dont have blue listed. The shop i contacted also listed several colors for sale; when i called to purchase the blue wheel, i was told they can only get me a black wheel. The rest of the colors of out of production and they no longer have any in stock.

Any place that has a dif. color (other then black), happens to have the wheel in stock as a left over unit. I will try contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they will make me a blue wheel. But if they arnt making them for venders, i dont think they will make one for me either.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
future
Banned

But if they arnt making them for venders, i dont think they will make one for me either
Yes they do make them for vendor and the factory are the supply route. atiwe will not supply the center Porsche embossed crest - the center will be blank. You can still get the center re-cover kit in all color from Porsche direct.

If you can wait 6 weeks then we can supply you with a blue one as we have ordered one for our 993 project car

I will send you a picture at the time we recieve but we have to purchase in bulk.

Please remember this wheel WAS NOT made exclusivly for Porsche - infact Porsche were the last car manufacture of many to use the wheel - however the stitch work was exclusive to them!

Note most vendors sell the Lancia stich version which I can elaborate on in detail if you require
Old 06-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

what i was told by both Sunset & Pepe is; Blue wheels are not being produced and are not available for delivery. There are none at the factory. Production was stoped and there is no way to know if they will produce any colors outside of Black again. I had 2 choices, order a black wheel or pay for a blue one and cross my fingers. I may wait a week, a month, a year, or forever.

a 3rd party vender here in the states that sells the wheels also told me they arnt being produced and he cant get me a blue wheel anymore. He used to stock grey, blue, burgundy and black wheels but now only has black wheels. The other colors are no longer available for order.

I have the part #'s for 4 colors at home. Blue, Burgundy, Grey, & Black....as they are all listed in the 968 Tequipement catalogue. I've seen these wheels in other colors as well. 964 Turbo S's had them with the word Turbo embossed on the center (in place of the crest).

in any event, i ended up ordering a black wheel from Sunset....as that was all i could get my hands on.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 PM
future
Banned

Yes this is the case regarding Porsche direct but I have advised you to go to the manufacture WHO do still make them as previously stated they WERE NOT made exclusive for Porsche. We buy ours direct and have done for some time.

Regarding the center embossed logos, I've not seen Turbo but have seen various RS embossed for Porsche cars. The other colour ones like Ruby Stone red were all made to special order for Porsche for RS cars only.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel replacement