Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Shifter play fix - wear explination (crosspost951)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Shifter play fix - wear explination (crosspost951)

Was replying to a post over in the 951 list since I bought one recently and wante to reaquaint myself to that forum- man things seem different than 8 years ago... anyways.... I have had issues getting into 5th and reverse and this was my explination and fix- I am still out of town in Sc but now have interent acess- Cheers, Mike

#################################################

I have had this very problem in 2 951s and my 968. Definately check the lock bolt on the trans end of the shifter push rod that travels from the shifter to the trans. In all my cases the shifter push rod wears out and bevelles out the inside because it is aluminium and the shifter attachment rod or pin (welded or cast into the shifter itself) becomes worn like the pic (my best photoshop efferts) also worn out like the pic. I would pull the boot, the e-clamp that hols the rod to the shifter and inspect. When it bevelles out you will find 5th and or Reverse a bitch to get in depending on your adjustments. With the wear it teaders on the rod and does not rotate enough at the trans end to be in the proper gear.

Replace the rod, and or the shifter and there are some plastic bushing that wear but I'll bet this is your problem. I have permenantly fixed this by grinding off the shifter attachment rod and drilling and tapping a 3/16-18 hole. I then used a sholder bolt and cut it at the proper length with lubed washers at both ends. Then a quick tack weld to assure it will not back out. this adds additional load points to not only the inside of the push rod but also to the sides becasue of the washers. They make a cheap fix kits but it does not last long. With the bolt I have hade great sucess. Let me know if this makes sense. The bolt then takes the place of the shifter attachment pin on the shifter.

I included the adjustment procedure also just incase.

Good luck- Cheers, Mike

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/sh...op_diagram.jpg

Quick Reply: Shifter play fix - wear explination (crosspost951)