Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Balance Shaft Belt Gone - Replace them all?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 AM
B Hayes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Shaft & Timing

My car was running hot, and I had some noise coming from the front of the motor (pully bearing) when it was taken to the shop. Even with the noises before the work, it would rev without any vibration. When I picked it up, the cam and balance shafts were lined up perfectly. I had them check because the vibration was rediculous. I can recall seeing the 0 mark on both balance shafts, but cant recall the specific locations they were in.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You got it. When you can, check the location of the "O" on each BS gear. The top shaft's gear should have the "O" either not visible, or visible in a big round opening. The bottom shaft's gear should have the "O" visible in a thin rectangular slit. If either or both of these are wrong, you will have problems.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Upper bs sprocket shows the O on top and lower bs shows it on the bottom thru the rectangular opening as Arash suggested. Its very easy to get them wrong.
He is a good writeup.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Look for
ENG-08, Balance Shaft Sprocket Installation and Alignment Check

Good luck.

Raj
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't care how adamant your mechanic is. With all due respect to him/her, if you took the car in with no vibration, and you got it back with vibration, they did something wrong!
Agree 100%. Did they do front selas? If they did, they had to remove the bs sprokcets and now have them wrong.
Raj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balance Shaft Belt Gone - Replace them all?