Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   Wheel Refinish (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/494067-wheel-refinish.html)

Gentleman Driver 04-09-2009 03:31 PM

Wheel Refinish

Good Day Rennlisters!

One of the main things that has bugged since the purchase of my 968 is the road rash and paint chipping on my 17" Cup 1's. I am now looking for a solution as my tires will most likely need replacing soon and I am sick of looking at the curbed wheels.
I contacted one shop already, and they quoted my $150 - $195 / wheel to get the job done, and that seemed ridiculous to me. What do you guys suggest? I know there are a few shops that sell refurbished wheels, so I am not opposed to anything, just looking for the most economical solution.

Thanks in advance! Happy Easter!

RajDatta 04-09-2009 03:39 PM

I found Wheel Collision in Bath PA to do quality work. I would recommend them.
Raj

Gentleman Driver 04-09-2009 03:44 PM

Indeed, that is who I contacted for the quote... including shipping that is too much for my shallow pockets.

RajDatta 04-09-2009 04:36 PM

You might want to try wheel's america as well. They are a bit cheaper but I have no personal experience to share.
Raj

Damian in NJ 04-09-2009 04:38 PM

I'd suggest visiting your local tire/wheel provider-they'll have a name to suggest, since they occasionally scuff a wheel during tire installs. I remember my brother put on snow tires a week after buying an Audi TT, and they butchered each wheel-and tried to deny it. They finally owned up, though, and sent the wheels to be refinished.

Luis de Prat 04-09-2009 06:40 PM

A professional refinish is the way to go, but if you want to get by on the cheap you can definitely get away with pulling the wheels, lightly sanding the chipped areas, taping up the rubber, and giving them a couple of coats of Duplicolor spray wheel paint in silver. People on here have done this for years with excellent results. Give it a shot. Worst case, they need refinishing anyway.

Damian in NJ 04-09-2009 07:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken there is a FAQ on doing what Luis refers to on www.carcareonline.com you may want to check that out.

rpm's S2 04-10-2009 10:24 AM

The price you were quoted seems fairly standard. I touched up my wheels with Wurth silver wheel paint after lots of scrubbing and some careful light sanding. I applied the paint with a small applicator brush directly into the damaged areas, rather than trying to blend spray paint. They pass the 5 ft test, but won't win any concours.

rdhayward 04-10-2009 10:05 PM

I paid a bit over $800 for a shop in Columbus, Ohio called WheelMedic. I think it would've been $550 without the "hyper-silver" color application. Three wheels were bent; all four needed to be refinished including the center caps.

John Etnier 04-12-2009 12:18 AM

I've had mine done by local body shops, who deflate the tires and just spray the 'front' of the wheels. The last time, I paid $100.00/wheel and they did a great job.