Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Turbo RS Information

Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
along with his MO30 Car & Firehawk....RS Barn's 968's are bad **** to say the least.

Here is a pic of the Turbo RS.

Had you not called the car a Turbo RS above instead of replica Turbo RS I wouldn't have posted.
I think Raj has pictures of the engine number, I'll see if we can deciper which motor is in in now, since the original motor is in someone else's car. Is it a spare Turbo S engine with RS factory upgrades? 944 Turbo with S/RS upgrades? From what we know Will and Michael Mount did a nice job fixing the motor up.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Had you not called the car a Turbo RS above instead of replica Turbo RS I wouldn't have posted.
Great, i'll make sure to correct you the next time you call Raj or Boostfeens' cars a Turbo S instead of a Replica Turbo S.

What else is one to call the car? The same way Raj's car is a Turbo S, Petes car is a Turbo RS. It does not matter if they were built that way by the factory or not. The bottom line is, they were transformed into Turbo S & Turbo RS cars. By whom doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I'll say it one more time for you, RS Barn's Yellow car is a Turbo RS replica built from a factory original Turbo S. it is 1 of 14 Factory Turbo S cars and very special indeed.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Again, I'm totally fine with calling it a Replica Turbo RS, or Turbo S based RS replica. Obviously track cars lead a hard life, and this car when found had been run hard and put away wet, lost its original motor, and needed a lot of repair. This isn't uncommon. Like any replica, the proof is in the details-is the upgrade done with factory RS parts, was every upgrade done from S to RS, etc. I don't know enough about this (and I'm sure each of the 4 genuine RS cars differed somewhat) but it's a nice looking car. Like every conversion it comes down to the details. The blue Turbo S replica by Powerhouse, for example was a good ten-footer-till you saw the bad hatch seal. I've seen others that haven't driven well. I'd love to see an article on the RS replica in Excellence detailing the build process.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

all the RS cars differ to a degree. They all have special parts that you wont find on the other 3 cars. They are not clones of each other. Take for example the rear spoiler on the yellow car, or the fact that the red car did not have the intercooler airduct on the hood originally. They all have many small differences. Pete's Turbo S has many Turbo RS parts, and a genuine Turbo S engine under the hood with RS parts. Its been refurbished and the attention to detail is there.

As an original Turbo S, which has been converted into a Turbo RS...i felt a picture of said car belonged in this thread. The effort, time, money, and work that went into this car once Pete aquired it, is nothing to shun. The end result is awesome.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

You did it again! Try

'As an original Turbo S, which has been converted into a replica Turbo RS'
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

semantics. How about you try to comprehend again.

one more time.

RS Barn's Yellow car is a 1 of 14 factory 968 Turbo S cars. Shortly after it rolled out of the factory it was Converted to RS Spec By Weinmann Motorsport and used as a back-up car @ Lemans. An Amazing car.

I wonder if i called Raj's car an n/a coupe that was converted into a 968 Turbo S, if you would be this adamant about correcting me and calling it a 968 Coupe converted into a Replica Turbo S.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

semantics. How about you try to comprehend again.

one more time.

RS Barn's Yellow car is a 1 of 14 factory 968 Turbo S cars. Shortly after it rolled out of the factory it was Converted to RS Spec By Weinmann Motorsport and used as a back-up car @ Lemans. An Amazing car.

I wonder if i called Raj's car an n/a coupe that was converted into a 968 Turbo S, if you would be this adamant about correcting me and calling it a 968 Coupe converted into a Replica Turbo S.
If want to continue to misrepresent the Turbo RS replica that's your choice-twice in this thread-I just don't want anyone misinformed that it's a genuine Turbo RS, because it's not. I don't see what Raj's car has to do with it. Whenever I see incorrect information being posted I just prefer to see the truth-this goes back years. It may be a very well done car, after all-but they made 4 Turbo RS's and that's it.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

#1. I never stated that it was a Factory original Turbo RS. I dont think anyone has.
#2. Raj's car has about as much to do with this as your car did when you brought it up. In other words, nothing.
#3. I have never and never will represent Petes Factory Turbo S as a Factory Turbo RS. Please do not put words in my mouth or attempt to misinform others. What i did say is that its a Turbo RS (not a factory Turbo RS), and that it was a Turbo S converted to Turbo RS Spec. All Facts.
#4. Lastly, No one is misinformed on this being a a factory Turbo RS car. Most people know there are only 4 originals. I have stated several times now that this is 1 of 14 Original Turbo S cars and was converted to RS Spec. Please stop going in circles and give it up already.

P.S. if you are so worried about misrepresentation, perhaps you should start calling the Cup 1 & 2 Wheels the names they were given by the factory when they were created. "C2 Turbo" & "993 Cup".
Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

#1. I never stated that it was a Factory original Turbo RS. I dont think anyone has.
#2. Raj's car has about as much to do with this as your car did when you brought it up. In other words, nothing.
#3. I have never and never will represent Petes Factory Turbo S as a Factory Turbo RS. Please do not put words in my mouth or attempt to misinform others. What i did say is that its a Turbo RS (not a factory Turbo RS), and that it was a Turbo S converted to Turbo RS Spec. All Facts.
#4. Lastly, No one is misinformed on this being a a factory Turbo RS car. Most people know there are only 4 originals. I have stated several times now that this is 1 of 14 Original Turbo S cars and was converted to RS Spec. Please stop going in circles and give it up already.
Put words in your mouth? Semantics? Twice in this thread you've called it a Turbo RS. It's not a Turbo RS. It's a factory Turbo S modified into a Turbo RS replica. Just call it what it is, I don't know what the big deal is. Like I said earlier, I'd love to read an article to learn about the conversion.

Calling a wheel a Cup 1 or 2 is the accepted common designation, no one would be deceived using those names in describing them. Surf here on the classifieds and see for yourself. Funny, though how the people that are so insistent on using the PET words for wheels don't follow their own mantra-the next time I'll see some people use the PET designation 'vibration dampener' instead of 'cubby boat anchor' will be the first. Hypocrisy always amuses me. Like 'Big Reds' some words just become the norm-with wheels, we've had phone dials, cookie cutters, lobster claws, none of which are Porsche verbage.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my thread gets rehashed and now this? You guys best chill out, as this is my thread! So play nice....

Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Thanks Rob.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Correct. i did call it a Turbo RS. and i'll do it again: Turbo RS. Car was born a Turbo S (1 of 14 originals) and converted to Turbo RS Spec by Weinmann Motorsport, recently refurbished by Pete from RS Barn. Awesome car. I don't know how much clearer i would need to be for you. But i hope that was clear enough.

Raj Datta's Turbo S (which was born a 968 Coupe N/A & then converted) is an awesome car aswell.

Here is another picture of The Turbo S/RS

Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
tomjshore
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There seems to be a lot of arguing going on about these cars. They are all great cars. I dont want to get in the middle of your post but I originally joined this forum to seek out where the original Turbo S car was, that my original factory 3.0L turbo motor came from. It was my intention of trying to get both engine and car back together. That is why I built a new 2.6 L engine for my Gt3 class car.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Correct. i did call it a Turbo RS. and i'll do it again: Turbo RS. Car was born a Turbo S (1 of 14 originals) and converted to Turbo RS Spec by Weinmann Motorsport, recently refurbished by Pete from RS Barn. Awesome car. I don't know how much clearer i would need to be for you. But i hope that was clear enough.

Raj Datta's Turbo S (which was born a 968 Coupe N/A & then converted) is an awesome car aswell.

Here is another picture of The Turbo S/RS

Apparently the Weinmann Motorsport team who made it into the replica kept the correct designation on the rear of the car . . . ! Since they did the conversion, shouldn't you follow their lead? I think they had a bit more to do with the change than any of us here in the US.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Apparently the Weinmann Motorsport team who made it into the replica kept the correct designation on the rear of the car . . . ! Since they did the conversion, shouldn't you follow their lead? I think they had a bit more to do with the change than any of us here in the US.
Wow, took you nearly 28 hours to come up with such an intelligent response. Congrats, that was quick.

Whats great about the Turbo RS conversion they did is that the car was used as a back up car @ Lemans. This car was converted to RS spec using real (factory) RS parts and raced along side factory RS's (as verified by the cars log book). You can call it a Replica, i'll call it a conversion.

No need to go in anymore circles. I've stated several times now that this is not a factory Turbo RS, but rather a conversion which started life as a factory Turbo S. That is very clear. If calling it a replica helps you sleep at night, thats fine......call it one and go to bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS Information