Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How do you Jack up your 968?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you Jack up your 968?

OK, I realize this is a noob question (once again) but I have only found posts regarding the 944 jack points and jack stand locations (I recognize they should be the same for our car, but didn't know if there are subtle differences)... but how do you Rennlisters jack up your 968?
I have been jacking the front of the vehicle from the recommended owner's manual jack points, and then placing jack stands under what looked like frame rails (guess they are actually just the floor pan...).
After reading a lot in the 944 area, and seeing some photos, looks like I should be jacking the car up from the center spot along the side between the wheels and then placing the jack stands underneath the front subframe and the rear jack stands underneath the torsion bar mounting points... Does this sound correct?

Thanks, want to change my process seeing as I don't want to dent or bend the floor pan any more than I already have...

GD
Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a noob question... I think of myself as pretty experienced (working on cars anyway...) and wonder the best places too. I use the rear torsion mounts for the rear, but would like to find the best possible place in front, epsecially considering I have all my lower panels in place...

Last edited by rob76turbo; 01-03-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
BerndCF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just discussed that in the UK forum www.968uk.com. Finally we came up with this agreement:

<quote>

Just to close off this thread.

FRONT :
You can jack up the car from the front crossmember and then place the axle/body stands on the front jacking points with rubber pucks/adaptors. It is not recommended to jack up from the lower A arm as it can distort them and subsequently throw out the handling.

Also, Stands can be placed under the front longitudal support beams on the floor, with suitable protection.

REAR :
You can jack up the car from the base of the transaxle, however again suitable protection for the transaxle case should be in place. DO NOT hold the car up from this point for any great length of time. Only use it to get the car up.

Once up, the torsion bar end plate stubs can be used to place the axle/body stands on to support the car. The rear jacking points can also be used with suitable adaptors/puck.

After much research and help from you guys, I am now happy about doing this.

</quote>

Thanks to Steven for the summary.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BerndCF
We just discussed that in the UK forum www.968uk.com. Finally we came up with this agreement:

<quote>

Just to close off this thread.

FRONT :
You can jack up the car from the front crossmember and then place the axle/body stands on the front jacking points with rubber pucks/adaptors. It is not recommended to jack up from the lower A arm as it can distort them and subsequently throw out the handling.

Also, Stands can be placed under the front longitudal support beams on the floor, with suitable protection.

REAR :
You can jack up the car from the base of the transaxle, however again suitable protection for the transaxle case should be in place. DO NOT hold the car up from this point for any great length of time. Only use it to get the car up.

Once up, the torsion bar end plate stubs can be used to place the axle/body stands on to support the car. The rear jacking points can also be used with suitable adaptors/puck.

After much research and help from you guys, I am now happy about doing this.

</quote>

Thanks to Steven for the summary.
Two questions:

1) How can you get the jack under the front cross-member? I may be thinking of a different location, but is that not behind the oil pan?

2) I don't like the idea of lifting the car up from the transaxle, is there another suggestion?

Thanks gents!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I alway use the rear jacking point right behind the door to lift one side of the car. Install jack stands on that side, be it front/back or both and then move to other side.
Has worked for me for years.
Raj
The following users liked this post:
BruceWard (09-13-2023)
Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do like Raj, jack up on the jack point just forward of the rear tires and put the stands under the front jack point and the rear torsion bar holder.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

+3 and I jack my race car up ALOT !
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

+4. Also, I use a hockey puck when jacking from the transaxle.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

You know....those hockey pucks have a lot of uses.....
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Undercarriage on the 944 cab is the same as the 968 cab. I jack the front up from the "doughnuts" using a hockey puck on the jack saddle. I support the car with tubular jackstands from the center frame rails using hockey pucks there as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Pix would be good!!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The white arrows on the rockers point to the jack points on the 968 racecar.

Richard
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
BruceWard (09-13-2023)
Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

For the front I either use ramps or jack up from the caster blocks. A caster block bolt fits perfectly into the little cup on my smaller jack. For the rear I use the torsion bar tube carriers. I'm just paranoid about jack points collapsing ever since my dad's 964 almost destroyed me!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Arash, I am worried too. I don't mind jacking from that point, but I want a more solid place to put the jack stand. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of buying the ESCO 3-Ton Flat-top jack stand. They are expensive, but I feel that they are worth it!!

BTW, I love that new pix of your car. Horizon Blue......Just love it!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
For the front I either use ramps or jack up from the caster blocks. A caster block bolt fits perfectly into the little cup on my smaller jack. For the rear I use the torsion bar tube carriers. I'm just paranoid about jack points collapsing ever since my dad's 964 almost destroyed me!
And how do you reach the caster blocks with the jack?

Unless your car is higher sprung than most, I'd say you need to raise it from somewhere else before the caster blocks are accessible...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you Jack up your 968?