Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How to modify your 968 front bumper PU to 968 Turbo RS look

Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a short session last night, using the strip I removed from the bumper to fill in the gaps in the inlet. I left a few mils in each end so I can sand it to the correct shape - hopefully. Next step is glueing all the parts together, cross your fingers.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The real deal does not have that notch in the middle of the bottom center section.
Raj
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
The real deal does not have that notch in the middle of the bottom center section.
Raj
Thanks Raj, much appreciated input. I'll add a piece of the strip to that area as well.

I'm a bit worried about the 20mm of aluminium that has to be removed from the impact bumper; I'd much rather remove it from the bumper cover, but have no clue yet as to where, or if it is feasible.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Looking through PET, it appears that the notches, top and bottom, are there to accommodate the trim piece in the air inlet. The horizontal trim piece includes a protruding vertical section which in turn allows access for a tow hook to the aluminum impact bumper.

Keeping the aluminum impact bumper, I assume that replacing the trim piece with a metal mesh would achieve a Turbo S look while allowing the tow hook location to remain the same.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The tow hook location on a turbo S is moved towards the passenger side of the impact bumper. It is to the left of the opening when facing the car.
Raj
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Thanks Raj,

Thought I replied to your post in March, but I guess I hit Preview Post instead of Submit Reply.

Anyway, I've filled in the notches top and bottom in the air inlet and started sanding:
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to modify your 968 front bumper PU to 968 Turbo RS look